Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:05 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Retail pharmacist is not a growing field. In demand pharmacist is one with at least a BS in pharmacology. Try to interview a hospital pharmacist or talk to a person in HR at a large hospital.
That's right, O*Net Online lists pharmacist as lower than average growth in the period 2014-2024. I'll bet this is due to the increasing number of people filling prescriptions online or via email. If the OP chooses to avail himself of the link to O*Net I provided earlier, he can see what the employment trends are like by state in this period (as well as average earnings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times
Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT). Fun thing is, you can go to a 2 year tech school/community college and get an AAS in Medical Laboratory Technology and get a decent job paying $25+ an hour (medical lab technician)...or you can do the full 4 and get a job paying $35+ an hour (medical lab technologist). You can work in hospitals, private labs, government labs, universities, clinics, etc. Medical technology is an always growing/evolving field. Companies include LabCorp, Quest Diagnostics, Quintiles/Q2 Solutions, Fresenius, Grifols, Genentech, Siemens, Abbott, Kaiser, Ameripath, etc. It's really interesting work running complex lab tests on patient specimens with high tech equipment, actually being the lab guy in a lab coat and gloves.

For the record, I work in medtech/pathology/toxicology....no degree at all just a HS diploma and only 2.5 years experience in the field...started at 28k a year with 0 experience, now I make $43k a year with generous benefits including 16 days vacation, 40 hours sick time, 9 paid holidays, and a 12% christmas bonus... Not rich by any means, but much more blessed than millions of others and living a comfortable lifestyle in a thriving metropolitan area.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:06 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I don't know about that but a PA can. my college room mate became a PA and opened a practice doing just paps smears, rx's for birth control, all the stuff except deliveries. This is the way the insurance companies wil be going, less need for doctors exept under emergiencies.

We need nurses. Get a BSN. I know nurses that work for law firms, they can work from home etc.

Or one can go into med equipment/RX sales. Or work inside the med equip/rx companies. Or work in a specilist office, not all doctros are jerks.

Sure you might have to start in a hospital setting, but can move out affter a few years experience.

Don't blame you, wouldn't want to dedicate 11 years of my life to be a doctor. Hubs went to dental school, graduated and never practiced a day in his life. Don't cry for him, dentists make a fraction of what he does with out sticking his hands in patients mouths.
We don't need nurses. Nursing is saturated right now. Soon the NP market will be glutted as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment