Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 07:07 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times

Advertisements

I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

a CANDY CANE!

I thought it was one person, who it turned out not being... I was complaining (in a joking way) to a number of other coworkers without realizing the person who was my secret santa was in earshot. Then another person told me that when I was at lunch everyone in my area was talking about upset I was with my gift. Am I being a brat? To be fair, most years my work secret santa gift is the ONLY gift I get because I don't have a family (they are all dead and everyone I work with knows this) and my friends are poor and don't live near me.

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:12 PM

210 posts, read 156,807 times
If participation is strictly voluntary, then I agree that's a crappy gift.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:21 PM

Thank you. I thought I was just being a brat about it. I would have even lovingly accepted a gag gift of a piece of coal or something, at least that's funny. A candy cane is cheap as hell when it's a 20 dollar secret santa. Why bother participating? I don't even work with poor people, so finances are not an issue. I'm the poorest person in the office by FAR. I need to get over it lol. Maybe I was just a bad person this year and it's karma biting me in the butt. Last year I got a kick ass adult coloring book that sparked my interest in coloring so much that I bought a giant pack of color pencils and now color for relaxation. The only other year I think where I thought my gift sucked was when it was a giant chocolate bar, but it was a giant chocolate bar and good chocolate. Not a candy cane. I haven't even gotten the person I chose for secret santa yet their gift yet but i'm so pissy about my gift that now I have no desire to pick out something nice for the person I chose :/ I should just recycle my gift and give that person a candy cane! But I wouldn't do that.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:23 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
I wouldn't feel bad.

I would have left it somewhere the giver would see it.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:30 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,515,763 times
Perhaps this is just a precursor to your real SS gift? Since you haven't even bought your SS gift to give, it is obvious that not all the gifts have been given. I hope this is the case.

As for the giver overhearing your disappointment.......good! Maybe this will make them feel the need to get you an additional gift, one that is worthy of the activity. I would not have been happy either. A lousy candy cane......SMH.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 PM

LOL. I actually stuck it in the freebie bin of snacks and stuff for people to take. But then i felt bad and took it back and hung it up at my desk.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:34 PM

268 posts, read 282,752 times
The person probably forgot about gift giving and grabbed it off the Christmas tree or maybe they did it as a way to show you how they feel about you. Either way.....I just wouldn't participate next time.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:34 PM

quote:
Perhaps this is just a precursor to your real SS gift? Since you haven't even bought your SS gift to give, it is obvious that not all the gifts have been given. I hope this is the case.

It's not. I wish ahhaha. Someone actually thought that too. It's just a one gift/one time thing we have going on, everyone knows that. I mean MAYBE the person could be shamed into getting me something else, but I wouldn't want that. I don't want anyone to feel bad. I feel stupid having complained to begin with, especially considering I thought it was someone else. And it's totally not a drama-rama type office at all, thank god.. Everyone I work with is pretty cool and nice and respectful and friendly to each other. Maybe this person really thought I love candy canes, although I can't imagine after like 6 years or so!? haha. Now that I think about this I am thinking way too much into it and time to get over it. I just wish I liked candy canes, it wouldn't be so bad. But they're gross.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:36 PM

quote:
maybe they did it as a way to show you how they feel about you.

I could understand if it was a mandatory secret santa. But it's not. Maybe you're right though. Oh well. Guess who will NOT be helping out this person from now on when they "work from home".

Old 12-06-2017, 07:37 PM

268 posts, read 282,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
maybe they did it as a way to show you how they feel about you.

I could understand if it was a mandatory secret santa. But it's not. Maybe you're right though. Oh well. Guess who will NOT be helping out this person from now on when they "work from home".
So you know the person that gave it to you? Confront them lol. I'm curious to see what they have to say about getting a candy cane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment