Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I was on another board a looooooooong time ago back in the day and people accused me of hitting people up for free gifts. (don't ask...) Never again. I wound up getting over a hundred xmas gifts sent to my apartment and then people got mad when I didn't know what to do with them! There was a huge drama involving a punch bowl that someone's grandmother gave them and they decided to ship to me. I got the punch bowl filled with candy and presents and then I said I put it out in the lobby for the taking and all hell broke loose. no way! I don't want to wind up as a meme on the internet as an ingrate.
To be honest, that what I thought here too...I mean you already told someone you'd give your address and announced you love gifts and don't get any.

So you did get gifts before on another forum but then gave them away????

You seem nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 07:19 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?
I think the candy cane was just an appetizer and something else was coming from that person. I think it says a lot about you that you jumped the gun to make an opinion of this person. To go around complaining to other people was childish. You felt bad the person found out? That was your purpose...

Old 12-09-2017, 07:43 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like your style.

One year I scored because the person who had my name knew I liked books and writing,

Another year this younger woman bought me this stupid cat toy (that didn't work) because she knew I had cats. That same year a non-work friend bought me a toilet paper holder that was little sculpture cats forming a stand. So stupid. As if people who have cats want to decorate their home in Cat.
Usually the cats take care of the decorating, with fur, hairballs, and the occasional upchuck.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,334,689 times
Quote:
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

a CANDY CANE!

I thought it was one person, who it turned out not being... I was complaining (in a joking way) to a number of other coworkers without realizing the person who was my secret santa was in earshot. Then another person told me that when I was at lunch everyone in my area was talking about upset I was with my gift. Am I being a brat? To be fair, most years my work secret santa gift is the ONLY gift I get because I don't have a family (they are all dead and everyone I work with knows this) and my friends are poor and don't live near me.

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?
Maybe the person giving the gift had absolutely NO money and was in financial strain and this was the best they could do? Don't take it personally.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:29 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
This whole thread is so interesting. I’m still trying to get over the poor poster who got tampons as a SS gift ...

And 9 pages later the OP at least had the decency to admit that many posters were right & something else showed up. I mean, they didn’t have to come back & say “I was wrong” (& many wouldn’t).

My teen daughters participate in SS’s every year with the variety of groups they are involved with & always have fun with it. I’m actually keeping my ears open for something similar that my disabled 14 year old son could participate in (probably getting too late). He’s been non-verbal for most of his life & has only been able to communicate what he might even want as a gift for the last few years.

This year, during the shopping trip to get the girls SS gifts, he suddenly said “Can I do it too?” I’d love the opportunity to reinforce to him that gifts are not always a one way street. My birthday was 2 weeks ago & he was determined that “I” receive the Peanuts movie on dvd as a gift. Again, I was so excited that he was attempting to be involved at this level that it sort of turned into a group-effort to pull this off.

He wanted his sisters to get the dvd & bring it home in time to wrap it for me but they don’t drive yet or have jobs so I decided to buy it myself while he was in school, hide it in their rooms & have them tell him they got it. Then Grandpa heard the plan & decided to get involved. He said HE would buy the movie & drop it off before my son’s school bus arrived ...

That evening after dinner, he was able to proudly hand me a fancy gift bag with “his” gift to “me” in it.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Why bother even signing up if you can't afford it or plan on being a cheap arse? It's optional, not required. I would have been upset also.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:57 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
so... um.. some of you were right. the candy cane turned out not to be my only gift :-!

I hope you feel very small and petty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think the candy cane was just an appetizer and something else was coming from that person. I think it says a lot about you that you jumped the gun to make an opinion of this person. To go around complaining to other people was childish. You felt bad the person found out? That was your purpose...
Yep. The OP did not come off well. And to fish for gifts on here, too?

Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I hope you feel very small and petty.

Yep. The OP did not come off well. And to fish for gifts on here, too?

For all we know (Did she say because Im too lazy to read all the pages) the other person felt guilty or was embarrassed and that's why they bought something else.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:38 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
I DID not fish for gifts on HERE. I didn't mean another forum on this website, I am talking about something completely different, and it was a running gag from all the members who could send me the dumbest stuff. For a while someone was even sending me empty boxes!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
This whole thread is so interesting. I’m still trying to get over the poor poster who got tampons as a SS gift ...

And 9 pages later the OP at least had the decency to admit that many posters were right & something else showed up. I mean, they didn’t have to come back & say “I was wrong” (& many wouldn’t).

My teen daughters participate in SS’s every year with the variety of groups they are involved with & always have fun with it. I’m actually keeping my ears open for something similar that my disabled 14 year old son could participate in (probably getting too late). He’s been non-verbal for most of his life & has only been able to communicate what he might even want as a gift for the last few years.

This year, during the shopping trip to get the girls SS gifts, he suddenly said “Can I do it too?” I’d love the opportunity to reinforce to him that gifts are not always a one way street. My birthday was 2 weeks ago & he was determined that “I” receive the Peanuts movie on dvd as a gift. Again, I was so excited that he was attempting to be involved at this level that it sort of turned into a group-effort to pull this off.

He wanted his sisters to get the dvd & bring it home in time to wrap it for me but they don’t drive yet or have jobs so I decided to buy it myself while he was in school, hide it in their rooms & have them tell him they got it. Then Grandpa heard the plan & decided to get involved. He said HE would buy the movie & drop it off before my son’s school bus arrived ...

That evening after dinner, he was able to proudly hand me a fancy gift bag with “his” gift to “me” in it.
What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment