Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Was it a white elephant gift exchange? With that one funny, weird etc. gifts are more acceptable.

Last year my husband got a glass votive candle holder with the company name on it. We still have it sitting in the box in our laundry room. I told him he should re-wrap that thing and use it for the WE gift exchange. He wont/cant do it.
My dad and his friend have this hideous tie they keep gifting back & forth to eachother each Christmas. It's like a funny joke now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,684 times
It was a crappy gift, and you’re right to feel angry and upset, but you were wrong to complain about it in public.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:09 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,973 times
I'm participating in my office's SS this year (my first year at this company for the holidays), and I had the nicest chat with my person at our holiday party last week. She told me I'm the person who has made her feel most welcome (and that's saying a lot, it's a really welcoming office) and she's so happy to have joined. I'm happy I get to give her something!

I'm kind of broke this week but I do have a great wine collection, so I was going to give her one of my bottles - was just trying to decide what kind. As I was reading this thread, she updated her wish list and asked for red wine. Perfect!

Back on topic, it was a crappy gift, but the reaction wasn't cool. I'm sorry it's the gift you look forward to all year and it was a let down, but as someone else said upthread, maybe this could be a good opportunity to try to make some positive changes in your life before the holidays next year.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:14 AM

3,076 posts, read 1,683,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane
With $20 being the limit, yes - you got a very crappy gift from a person who was too lazy to put thought into it.

It happens. One department where I worked had that gift-game during the lunch hour (the one where you draw #'s and can steal another person's gift), and the limit was $25. Someone ended up with a bag of candy that probably cost a couple of bucks. Again, no thought put into it. If a participant can't apply better effort then why do it at all???

Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I do not see one post in this thread that said that the what the gift giver did was ok. Not one.

The OP is a whiner, complainer, and does not come across as very mature in their posts.

Frankly, I would have been pissed if I had gotten his name, as he doesn't seem to be the type of person that people want to work with. The candy cane sent that message loud and clear.

This is trivial, really, and the fact that the OP is this worried about something that is so small in the grand scheme of things is very sad.
I'm not going back to reread all those pages but there were plenty of comments telling the OP exactly that, just by how they responded.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
OP, I hope the rest of the gifts are nice. In my opinion it is a very thoughtful person to drop off a little gift every couple of days building up to Christmas.

I am going to suggest that since you have no family to give you gifts and no one to buy for (except for your secret santa) that you take yourself shopping and buy yourself a nice gift for the holidays. Wrap it if you want to. We all have to take care of ourselves and a little treat every now and again is good for our own mental health. Get yourself something that is a little indulgent.

Also, look around. Some charity somewhere in your town has a gift tree where people in need write what gift they would like to receive. You take the card, buy the gift and hand the gift and card over to the charity to be delivered. You get to shop for a child or a senior. I see small wishes. Things like a warm pair of gloves. Giving a needed gift should give you a warm feeling.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:03 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

The year I got the pregnancy exercise DVD I bought a $25 Starbucks giftcard for someone, which I think is something people actually want. Then I got... that DVD.
Does sound like a re-gift, a white elephant gift or an insult. Still, some people hate starbucks. Its just too easy for people to take offense to gifts.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Does sound like a re-gift, a white elephant gift or an insult. Still, some people hate starbucks. Its just too easy for people to take offense to gifts.
Well yes, you can't please everyone but the point is that I actually put some thought into what I got to get something a lot of people would want whereas this person just took the cheap, easy, lazy way out.

The effort from some people doesn't match what others put in.

I do like secret santas though... it just sucks if you get a crappy thing when you purchased something nice.

Agree with previous posters that the OP shouldn't have complained about it. Ultimately be thankful you got something @ all. Some people don't b/c they can't afford it.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:42 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

Yep.

Some people get offended if you give them a gift card - some see that as the easy way out.

You can't win, really.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yep.

Some people get offended if you give them a gift card - some see that as the easy way out.

You can't win, really.
Agreed! Now, I am a person who LOVES gift cards. I'm picky and would prefer that someone not try to pick something for me unless they know me well. In my family, we only do Amazon wish lists. I know people who think gift cards are a cop out. Just can't win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment