Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 11:06 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times

Advertisements

Live a longer life. Don’t sweat the little things. This is a microscopic thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 11:07 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
............ toilet paper holder that was little sculpture cats forming a stand. So stupid. As if people who have cats want to decorate their home in Cat.
Really? People who have cats don't like cat decorations? I would have thought a well designed cat toilet paper holder would be a good present for someone who loves cats.

I've got dogs and I love to receive dog gifts. Some of the best gifts I've ever received are dog gifts. A friend who makes glass jewelry gave me a glass pendent with a papillon on it. (I've got papillons) and another friend gave me a gorgeous pencil drawing of a deerhound.

I was given this folk art beagle, I think made out of 2x4's and hand painted. I've never had a beagle and don't want a beagle, but I love that funky wooden beagle.

Just about every dog person I know collects art objects of their breed and wouldn't be upset to get something of a different breed.

Well... cat people and dog people are different, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:27 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
i LOVE dog gifts too!!!! You don't have to tell your dog you didn't get it for them and they are none the wiser!!!

Old 12-09-2017, 11:38 AM

38 posts, read 30,810 times
OP, the reason people hate Secret Santa is because of people like you. The fear of buying something the coworker doesn't like and being ridiculed for it. I have a similar experience at a previous workplace where one of my coworkers gifted another one something they thought was worthless (it actually wasn't), and this person started crying and made a scene out of it. And the poor kid ended up getting antagonized in the workplace because of the incident. This whole forced gift giving needs to go. Some of us have things to do outside work and don't have the time or money to buy gifts for people we don't care about.

I'm sorry that your social life isn't great but don't try to fill that hole with your coworkers. When you do something like this think about how uncomfortable the person on the other end will feel when you pretty much bash their gift in front of everyone. Secret Santa is not so secret and if they find out who it is it will be even worse for that person. You don't know his financial situation or what his personal life is like. So don't take it personally

Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfield View Post
op, the reason people hate secret santa is because of people like you. The fear of buying something the coworker doesn't like and being ridiculed for it. I have a similar experience at a previous workplace where one of my coworkers gifted another one something they thought was worthless (it actually wasn't), and this person started crying and made a scene out of it. And the poor kid ended up getting antagonized in the workplace because of the incident. This whole forced gift giving needs to go. Some of us have things to do outside work and don't have the time or money to buy gifts for people we don't care about.

I'm sorry that your social life isn't great but don't try to fill that hole with your coworkers. When you do something like this think about how uncomfortable the person on the other end will feel when you pretty much bash their gift in front of everyone. Secret santa is not so secret and if they find out who it is it will be even worse for that person. You don't know his financial situation or what his personal life is like. So don't take it personally
+1.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I DID not fish for gifts on HERE.

Quote:
Hmmmm.. You have over 16,000 posts and a good board rep... I think I might chance it and DM you! I would love to have something to open up on Xmas morning!
Of course you were not fishing for gifts.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
Quote:
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

oh i would love a candy cake, or home made cookies. one year i got a santa clause candle

Old 12-09-2017, 02:03 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
THAT poster brought it up and of COURSE I would love to have xmas gifts to open on Xmas morning, but I was NOT fishing for gifts here. Please don't run with that false narrative. I never would have started this thread if I thought my character was gonna be wrung through the wringers. It's all good, I learned my lesson about being humble and won't be making such a mistake in the future. I also enjoyed hearing other peoples secret santa fiascos lol.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times
Smile I usually just give...

Gift cards

I'm sorry you got this.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxField View Post
OP, the reason people hate Secret Santa is because of people like you. The fear of buying something the coworker doesn't like and being ridiculed for it. I have a similar experience at a previous workplace where one of my coworkers gifted another one something they thought was worthless (it actually wasn't), and this person started crying and made a scene out of it. And the poor kid ended up getting antagonized in the workplace because of the incident. This whole forced gift giving needs to go. Some of us have things to do outside work and don't have the time or money to buy gifts for people we don't care about.

I'm sorry that your social life isn't great but don't try to fill that hole with your coworkers. When you do something like this think about how uncomfortable the person on the other end will feel when you pretty much bash their gift in front of everyone. Secret Santa is not so secret and if they find out who it is it will be even worse for that person. You don't know his financial situation or what his personal life is like. So don't take it personally
Well I agree a $20 limit Secret Santa isn't something to get so upset about.

But on the other hand, a $2 candy cane? The Secret Santa didn't even TRY to give something acceptable. If I didn't know what to give someone I'd make it a $20 gift card or something. I'd be embarrassed to give someone a candy cane! I don't know what that personal could have been thinking unless they don't like the OP and thought they'd show it this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment