Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 PM

318 posts, read 467,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

a CANDY CANE!

I thought it was one person, who it turned out not being... I was complaining (in a joking way) to a number of other coworkers without realizing the person who was my secret santa was in earshot. Then another person told me that when I was at lunch everyone in my area was talking about upset I was with my gift. Am I being a brat? To be fair, most years my work secret santa gift is the ONLY gift I get because I don't have a family (they are all dead and everyone I work with knows this) and my friends are poor and don't live near me.

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?
I feel your annoyance and hurt, Aquarius. Been there, done that. Pretty mean spirited on the part of the giver, you know?

Let it go. If you know who the person is, now you know how they feel about you. I understand how much it totally sucks when you get NOTHING as a nice surprise at Christmas. I don't have any family either, (and a spouse who can't give a gift unless I tell him what I want). And sweet little $20 surprise died when my mom died. No surprises. Nothing special. Zip. I get it.

At Secret Santa, someone gave me a used kitchen clock shaped like a mushroom one year... WTH... dusty and dirty too. I had purchased a nice bottle of wine for my Secret Santa... so I get it. That was my last time as a Secret Santa! Take the $20 and treat yourself to something you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:57 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
quote:
At Secret Santa, someone gave me a used kitchen clock shaped like a mushroom one year... WTH... dusty and dirty too.

LMFAO! Did it come with roaches as well? I wouldn't even care if someone gave me something they owned that was used, it might be even funnier and nicer.. I was just so miffed about a candy cane that it clouded my judgement. I have no idea if the person who gave me the candy cane added more stuff which I just got (see my previous post) or if it was another coworker who felt bad?!

It's funny cuz I have to go out and get MY secret santa their gift this weekend. We have to drop them off at their desk sometime before Tuesday and I think my secret santa was mad that she hadn't gotten hers yet (most people already did), but we didn't get paid til today so... yeah. I'm so perplexed what to get this person because this person might make a bigger stink about it than I did! I'll tell you guys what I got when i come back from shopping for it tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:45 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Quote:
Hmmmm.. You have over 16,000 posts and a good board rep... I think I might chance it and DM you! I would love to have something to open up on Xmas morning!
Me too! I'll send you something!!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:55 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
I was on another board a looooooooong time ago back in the day and people accused me of hitting people up for free gifts. (don't ask...) Never again. I wound up getting over a hundred xmas gifts sent to my apartment and then people got mad when I didn't know what to do with them! There was a huge drama involving a punch bowl that someone's grandmother gave them and they decided to ship to me. I got the punch bowl filled with candy and presents and then I said I put it out in the lobby for the taking and all hell broke loose. no way! I don't want to wind up as a meme on the internet as an ingrate.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:04 PM

259 posts, read 522,892 times
Quote:
But the secret santa gift I got today wasn't wrapped it was just dropped on my desk with a post it saying "secret santa # 2". So I have no idea if it was the person who gave me the candy cane or another coworker who heard me bitchin'. lol either way, it's kinda funny. I quite enjoy my new gift
That's great to hear. Mind sharing what the 2nd gift was?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
That's great to hear. Mind sharing what the 2nd gift was?
another candy cane

give someone a cane each day, and on the 25th, give them the empty box to take the rest of them home in

Last edited by MLSFan; 12-08-2017 at 07:29 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
This whole discussion is why I only participated in it once. Everybody was expecting a big gift. I stayed within the spending guidelines and I heard the person complaining about my cheap gift to them. Turns out everyone bought their person something costing $50, except for me. Nobody told me that the guidelines were not to be followed.

Gi’mmeee, Gi’mmeee, Gi’mmeee.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 PM

118 posts, read 107,296 times
I have seen people get mad at crappy white elephant gifts, you know the ones that are supposed to be stupid. Ugh.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Hey, payback's a beotch. I'd put the dang candycane on that person's desk and just smile in a weird Cheshire cat kind of way every time I saw them. Just to freak them out and make them wonder...

For crying out loud, they could have just put a $20 bill in an envelope. I do seriously believe in consequences for bad behavior. I think, at minimum, you should at least make them fear a consequence of some kind - even if nothing ever happens. Therefore, the Cheshire cat grin and the hairy eyeball while smiling occasionally - should be somewhat effective payback, at minimum.

And yes, they deserve it.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:32 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hey, payback's a beotch. I'd put the dang candycane on that person's desk and just smile in a weird Cheshire cat kind of way every time I saw them. Just to freak them out and make them wonder...

For crying out loud, they could have just put a $20 bill in an envelope. I do seriously believe in consequences for bad behavior. I think, at minimum, you should at least make them fear a consequence of some kind - even if nothing ever happens. Therefore, the Cheshire cat grin and the hairy eyeball while smiling occasionally - should be somewhat effective payback, at minimum.

And yes, they deserve it.
I like your style.

One year I scored because the person who had my name knew I liked books and writing,

Another year this younger woman bought me this stupid cat toy (that didn't work) because she knew I had cats. That same year a non-work friend bought me a toilet paper holder that was little sculpture cats forming a stand. So stupid. As if people who have cats want to decorate their home in Cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment