Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 02:27 PM

296 posts, read 217,747 times

Advertisements

At Christmas in 1994, I was starting a new job, and the supervisor told us $10.00 would be just the right amount for our gift exchange, and the person whose name I drew to buy for, got to buy for me in return.

I stuck firm to the stated $10.00 amount, but the person who bought for me spent multiples of that amount, and I know they really couldn't afford it---it was nice of them to be so generous with me, but I don't know why they couldn't follow the guidelines set forth on the amount to spend, and they were hurt and dejected over how much I spent on them versus how much they spent on me!

Last edited by Mid America Lifer; 12-11-2017 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 02:33 PM

204 posts, read 181,817 times
It Could Have Been Worse
Attached Thumbnails
Got a really crappy Secret Santa gift this year :(-305e0f5c-4acf-44f2-adcf-c1a3492b8a30.jpeg  

Old 12-11-2017, 03:58 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
I got a good one for ya . My friend annie called me today and tells me the following : You know who I got for a secret santa ? she says bob . Bob got me a pedicure set . Bob said to me I noticed your toenails are a lil long , annie told me that creeped her out and she told her supervisor and her supervisor is a woman and said she will have a talk with bob and he wont be allowed in the secret santa next year . It does not matter because annie is leaving at the first of the year she and her husband both found new jobs where they get raises and no bs ....so far as she knows LOL .I told her I would have been creeped out too .

Old 12-11-2017, 04:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What about the cheapskate that gets a $2 candy cane instead of a decent gift? Doesn't that ruin the spirit too?
I agree. BTW, I just bought many boxes of candy canes. They come 12 to a box for ...$1..

Old 12-11-2017, 04:39 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,816 times
As it turned out, the candy cane wasn't his only gift.

The real question is what is the OP going to buy as a Secret Santa? He has a lot of rules and expectations about the gifts that he wants to receive, will he apply the same standards when it comes to buying gifts for other people?

Old 12-11-2017, 05:36 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
I realize most people are going to not read every page of this thread so maybe missed the update, but the candy cane turned out being only part of my present, perhaps. I think my gift giver wanted to see me react to a candy cane and I fell right into the trap lol. No harm, no foul, we get along great as coworkers and can laugh about it now. Tomorrow is when we reveal to each other who had whom. And yeah, i fully expect to get a lump of coal next secret santa lol.

So yesterday I went shopping for my secret santa and I kept thinking about some of the cruel things some of you assumed about me as I was trying to figure what to get hahaa.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:41 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
I got my secret santa a scarf, a bubble bath set, and spent the day coloring a page from an adult coloring book as the card. She liked it and even though I went a few dollars over the limit (and im broke AF) I enjoyed giving it.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I got a good one for ya . My friend annie called me today and tells me the following : You know who I got for a secret santa ? she says bob . Bob got me a pedicure set . Bob said to me I noticed your toenails are a lil long , annie told me that creeped her out and she told her supervisor and her supervisor is a woman and said she will have a talk with bob and he wont be allowed in the secret santa next year . It does not matter because annie is leaving at the first of the year she and her husband both found new jobs where they get raises and no bs ....so far as she knows LOL .I told her I would have been creeped out too .
OMG, I lol'd at this, Thank you!

I once had a guy tell me I had the most beautiful feet he had ever seen. Totally creeped me out!

Old 12-12-2017, 07:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
What else did you get OP? Maybe he got you more after the fact because of all the hoopla?

Old 12-12-2017, 07:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
I'll do you one better, OP. We had that white elephant gift exchange at our company Christmas party the other day. The gift was supposed to be over $40. Everyone actually adhered to that rule. But one participant is the biggest witch ever and derives joy from being mean to people, particularly myself. She is the rudest person I have ever worked with a huge ego and enjoys cutting people down and picking on every little mistake. Oddly enough, she is forever talking about her church and how religious she is.

I received a nice gift from the hat that was promptly stolen from one of my nice coworkers. No biggie; she really liked it. I then stole a gift that I really liked from someone else. Right at the end of the game, when it was my mean coworker's boyfriend's turn, she ordered him to steal my gift from me. The boyfriend didn't want to take it but felt helpless and apologized for stealing it from me. The kicker? She didn't even want the item; it was the delight she derived in depriving me of the gift I really wanted. How petty is that? I ended up with the gift I brought with me to the party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment