Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
This completely misses the point. The H1B program isn't designed to support CMU, MIT, CalTech, etc., grads (however much its supporters would like you to think that). Rather, it is set up to bring in huge numbers of marginally competent, CHEAP laborers from the sub-continent to displace Americans in the tech industry, most prominently to do QA and programming. Believe me, I know of what I speak. US companies don't have to go to India to get substandard work; they're importing it ... at the expense of American workers. And it needs to end.
This ^^^^

Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM

348 posts, read 460,429 times
Quote:
This completely misses the point. The H1B program isn't designed to support CMU, MIT, CalTech, etc., grads (however much its supporters would like you to think that). Rather, it is set up to bring in huge numbers of marginally competent, CHEAP laborers from the sub-continent to displace Americans in the tech industry, most prominently to do QA and programming. Believe me, I know of what I speak. US companies don't have to go to India to get substandard work; they're importing it ... at the expense of American workers. And it needs to end.
It's not set up to do that either. You can say it has mostly become that way as companies have exploited the system, but it was not set up to do what you mention above.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
My main opposition to high numbers of skilled immigration from India is the assimilation problem. Indian immigrants have a hard time assimilating into a western society and cultural system. And secondly, it's more competition that'd I'd rather not deal with. I'd be all for the government deporting those here currently, but that probably isn't practical.

Of course, as I said earlier, I am an Indian immigrant who came to this country when I was 6 years old and I BECAME an American. Keep the immigrants who aren't willing to assimilate OUT!
I think your main gripe is that you don't want to be lumped in with these recent Indian immigrants, which I suppose is fair. Did your parents assimilate? Should they have been allowed in? I mean I'm a little confused here if your main opposition is 'the assimilation problem." How does one know who is willing to assimilate?

Assimilation typically happens with the next generation and not the recent immigrants themselves (especially if they were older when they arrived). This is not a new phenomenon.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:04 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:

That's entirely wrong - I guess you have no idea of the legislative history of it. It really started with University action in 1976 paving the way (AAU getting a clause in exempting themselves from labor certification) for the dual intent H1B in 1990. Before your imagined conspiracy. The abuse of H1B did not take off till around 1996 onwards.

It was set up to bring in those academic hotshots and others besides, but it has been used largely for other purposes. Don't let your emotion undermine your "facts." And don't just make up history in 2017 when facts can be checked on the interwebs!

Old 01-17-2018, 01:07 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This ^^^^
is wrong.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:50 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's entirely wrong - I guess you have no idea of the legislative history of it. It really started with University action in 1976 paving the way (AAU getting a clause in exempting themselves from labor certification) for the dual intent H1B in 1990. Before your imagined conspiracy. The abuse of H1B did not take off till around 1996 onwards.

It was set up to bring in those academic hotshots and others besides, but it has been used largely for other purposes. Don't let your emotion undermine your "facts." And don't just make up history in 2017 when facts can be checked on the interwebs!
I can find a contradiction for that: CBS story (5-11-1995) AIG H1B visa abuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8r...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-18-2018, 08:10 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

This is precisely the kind of response that thankfully limits my participation in these forums, aka, nitpickers who pedantically spout history (and insults) but apparently live in a bubble that excludes the real world.

Sorry I got your undies in a twist, I must have inadvertently hit very close to a raw nerve. I frankly don't give a rat's ass what the purpose of the originating legislation was some 42 years ago; it has zero relevance to my life (and probably even less to yours, since from your tone, I'm guessing you're far too young to have been alive then).

Since I don't know about you, but I'm living "1996 onwards," what matters to me is what is happening now, and how it affects my life. No "conspiracy" is necessary. It's quite obvious how the entire program has been subverted by outsourcing companies. And, I reiterate, I know of what I speak, since I have been regularly subjected to it over, primarily, the course of the last 10-15 years.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
I think your main gripe is that you don't want to be lumped in with these recent Indian immigrants, which I suppose is fair. Did your parents assimilate? Should they have been allowed in? I mean I'm a little confused here if your main opposition is 'the assimilation problem." How does one know who is willing to assimilate?

Assimilation typically happens with the next generation and not the recent immigrants themselves (especially if they were older when they arrived). This is not a new phenomenon.

No...my main gripe is that the majority of H!Bs are not 'high skilled' people.
I work as a ML Engineer and work with some h1bs....some are exceptional and graduated from IIT. However, most went to Univ of Pune and are just average or below-average.

As has been said many times. I'm all for h1bs...but ONLY the top people with specialized skills.
IIT, JNU, etc grads are more than welcome....Pune Univ, Cochin Technical College, etc and other lower ranked schools are not needed.

Like it or not, many of us who are young Indian americans and young asian americans oppose high numbers of skilled immigration into this country. We're not interested in the libertarian open-borders BS

Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM

Ok. I was responding to your point on assimilation though. You're the one that said 'my main opposition to high numbers of skilled immigration from India is the assimilation problem.' That's all.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:19 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I can find a contradiction for that: CBS story (5-11-1995) AIG H1B visa abuse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8r...ature=youtu.be
'95 - exactly. How does that contradict it? And how does that contradict what it was SET UP for. rather than what it IS USED AS.
I'd draw a picture for you but the software isn't good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment