Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 10:13 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times

Advertisements

There's a discussion on the Chicago forum about HQ2 for Amazon. So many cities made bids for it. If you were to relocate to work at the new Amazon location, which city do you hope they choose? Any cities you would completely rule out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
There's a discussion on the Chicago forum about HQ2 for Amazon. So many cities made bids for it. If you were to relocate to work at the new Amazon location, which city do you hope they choose? Any cities you would completely rule out?
Why are you addressing this to "young IT workers"?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:59 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
I very much doubt I'd ever work for Amazon. They're pretty well-known for being basically a sweatshop.

If I did work for them, I'd hope they opened HQ2 in a warm, sunny, low-tax state. San Francisco? Nope. Chicago? Uh-uh. Boston? No.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
My money is on the Raleigh-Durham area based on speaking with friends who work for Amazon in Seattle.

And that's would make sense. It's a pretty cheap place to live, has 4 seasons but does not get too cold, and there's plenty of space to build facilities and additional housing. Not to mention there are several excellent universities to draw from.

My hope is that it would be built somewhere that is affordable. One reason I'm confident that Amazon's HQ will never come to Boston (where I live now) is because Boston is approaching SF/NYC cost of living. Rent would be so high that many Amazon workers would have to commute from southern NH or Providence - not a great quality of living, especially working the hours Amazon demands.

Other areas I suspect would make for good consideration are Atlanta and St. Louis.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My money is on the Raleigh-Durham area based on speaking with friends who work for Amazon in Seattle.

And that's would make sense. It's a pretty cheap place to live, has 4 seasons but does not get too cold, and there's plenty of space to build facilities and additional housing. Not to mention there are several excellent universities to draw from.

My hope is that it would be built somewhere that is affordable. One reason I'm confident that Amazon's HQ will never come to Boston (where I live now) is because Boston is approaching SF/NYC cost of living. Rent would be so high that many Amazon workers would have to commute from southern NH or Providence - not a great quality of living, especially working the hours Amazon demands.

Other areas I suspect would make for good consideration are Atlanta and St. Louis.
The DFW area has high hopes for it but I don't see it happening.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
If you're young right now, working at Amazon could be a good stepping stone job. Because like most big dotcom, it's a sweat shop. You'll be used and abused until you're fed up and then leave even if they stuff you with money it's not enough to counter the amount of tear and wear to your spirit and cost of living.

It doesn't matter where Amazon move to the cost of living in the surrounding area will jump and even skyrocket if a transit problem or housing shortage happens and workers will pay a fortune to be near it.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why are you addressing this to "young IT workers"?
Because I hear that's who they hire.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you're young right now, working at Amazon could be a good stepping stone job. Because like most big dotcom, it's a sweat shop. You'll be used and abused until you're fed up and then leave even if they stuff you with money it's not enough to counter the amount of tear and wear to your spirit and cost of living.

It doesn't matter where Amazon move to the cost of living in the surrounding area will jump and even skyrocket if a transit problem or housing shortage happens and workers will pay a fortune to be near it.

EXACTLY!! this is what happen to parts of austin and they want them to come here as well. Just imagine a typical 300sq apt costing you $600 a month now, will increase to $2500 if they come here. LL are that greedy here and so are property managers for apt. Anything to make a quick buck but realizing that the job only pays $8 a hour.. Its like they price the market here thinking folks make $25+ a hour and when in reallity they dont make that combine incomes, but yet manage to find somebody that will pay the rent and struggles.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I spoke with a high-level manager at the Amazon NYC office about a year ago and he mentioned that he was transferring to Raleigh-Durham so that's also one of my top picks too. I think most people would be okay relocating to Raleigh-Durham. I think Austin is another top contender. I'd be fine with either of those or pretty much any city in the Northeast.

I would not relocate to Atlanta, been there and done that, no thanks! I also would not relocate to any city in California. As far as weather is concerned, many of us enjoy a real Winter and Seattle already offers a temperate climate so don't rule out Northern cities based on weather. Minneapolis, Chicago or Denver would not surprise me and I'd gladly live in any of those cities.

You have to also consider that they'll likely relocate many of their current Seattle employees (and families) to HQ2 so it has to be a place where those employees will say, I'm cool with that.

I imagine we'll know the answer to the mystery relatively soon.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 01-13-2018 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 06:27 PM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I very much doubt I'd ever work for Amazon. They're pretty well-known for being basically a sweatshop.

If I did work for them, I'd hope they opened HQ2 in a warm, sunny, low-tax state. San Francisco? Nope. Chicago? Uh-uh. Boston? No.
Your probably referring to the low end warehouse jobs not the IT jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment