Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:54 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,934 times

Advertisements

I'm firm about not seeking friends at work. A couple of happy hours or lunch n awhile doesn't mean we're friends. Once I leave a job, it's a done deal. However, if someone reaches out to me for a peer reference, I'm more than willing to help them out. And I would hope they'd do the same for me. We don't have to be "friends". Yet, a working relationship where we speak to each others' strengths and weaknesses is fine. In fact, I haven't had a "friend" since kindergarten. Get over the friend thing and the world will be a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 02:54 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Funny things can happen. There is an admin officer from a previous workplace who has become more of a friend now that we no longer work together. The relationship between our two positions created constraints...it would have been awkward for us to discuss some topics as coworkers, but now that we don't have those constraints we enjoy this new friendship. We talk by phone quite often, laugh or poke fun at the same things, share viewpoints about our professions, the organization we worked for, our former coworkers, and have quite a few non-work interests in common. Neither of us have anything to gain or lose. We never would have met outside that workplace. Guess the bottom line for me is, you never know where a friend will crop up. Its up to you whether to open the door or not.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:58 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
Aawww, don't be that way, lovely. Maybe if people cared more about their personal relationships, the world would be a better place. Love just isn't found in families. And it's not a given that you'll even experience love within your family (which is the foundation from which maladaptivity grows. ) The best romantic partnerships are generally built on a strong foundation of friendship. Friendship is important. Honestly, I think all this negativity regarding workplace relationships is a reflection of today's workplace and time. My parents, aunts and uncles always had work friends around when I was younger.

All that being said...I still agree with the overall point of the thread that you shouldn't look for friends at work. It's sad all the same.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM

554 posts, read 623,511 times
This is very common. They are called work friends. Once they don't work together anymore the person moves on. There are people who I was friendly with when we worked together but once we no longer worked together I didn't keep in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment