Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:33 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

Is it really very likely to be often? Chances are it’s probably gonna be like a 1-2 week a year kind of thing max if the overnight guy takes a vacation and they need coverage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 07:02 PM

127 posts, read 102,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Depends on how far you want to go with this, meaning do you like this job well enough to try and come to some mutual satisfaction with your employer, or are you at the point where you refuse to do the nights/weekend thing? Even if you have a valid medical reason, I advise you to get your Dr. to write you a work restriction that says something like”Mr. John Doe is a patient in our office and is being treated for a condition that will not permit him to work xyz hours.” The company will either honor the restriction, choose not to honor it, or suggest a modified schedule that your doctor will approve. Worth a shot if you like the job.
That's a great suggestion.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Is it really very likely to be often? Chances are it’s probably gonna be like a 1-2 week a year kind of thing max if the overnight guy takes a vacation and they need coverage
It would be more than that, as there are several people on nights. If I were healthy, I'd suck it up. But I am not able to do this at this point.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:16 PM

166 posts, read 116,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
Just started a new position as a salaried manager, and found out by surprise today that I am expected to cover night and weekend shift in the absence of staffing. During the interview, I was ok with the occasional weekend, or late evening, but there was no mention made about nights. My job description makes no mention of that, either. I am healthwise not able to do nights at this point, and would have withdrawn my application, had I known this upfront.

Thoughts?
I am sorry they weren't honest. Expect more of the same. Good luck

Old 02-16-2018, 08:10 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLeg View Post
I am sorry they weren't honest. Expect more of the same. Good luck

It also raises a question. Since this employer wasn't upfront, and hell, they were outright deceptive, is this an employer you see yourself working for the long-term? This dishonesty may be a sign of things to come.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
It also raises a question. Since this employer wasn't upfront, and hell, they were outright deceptive, is this an employer you see yourself working for the long-term? This dishonesty may be a sign of things to come.
It seems like this type of thing is becoming more and more the norm. For the first time in my not too short life, I have lost all hope. Prior to this job, I left another company due to complete lack of professionalism in management, gossiping, yelling, and pitting folks against each other. I was so hopeful, and grateful for this new job. It wasn't perfect, but I was able to reconcile the good with the not so good, until today. Overpromise, and underdelivery: the new job recruiting strategy.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
What a crock. I hope you can just leave. Let them start interviewing applicants again. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:40 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default I'd want the right to hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I opened a freezer plant and everyone quit, by me. I was whipsawed between night and day 12 hours shifts. The photo I took looked like I was dead. And this was in good shape having come off a construction crew. If I had this crap dropped on me I'd want the right to hire and release.

You'll be on the receiving end of too many unreliables. No thanks.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:52 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
It seems like this type of thing is becoming more and more the norm. For the first time in my not too short life, I have lost all hope. Prior to this job, I left another company due to complete lack of professionalism in management, gossiping, yelling, and pitting folks against each other. I was so hopeful, and grateful for this new job. It wasn't perfect, but I was able to reconcile the good with the not so good, until today. Overpromise, and underdelivery: the new job recruiting strategy.

I guess I was fortunate to run into some honest employers. Even though some of those jobs sucked, they were upfront about it. They weren't blunt, "hey man, this job sucks." It was more of, "this job entails x,y,z. Is this acceptable to you?" Now I had additional duties thrown to me without the compensation but that was probably months after i started. There hasn't been any "sudden surprises." I hope you leave that company. That was really unethical.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I guess I was fortunate to run into some honest employers. Even though some of those jobs sucked, they were upfront about it. They weren't blunt, "hey man, this job sucks." It was more of, "this job entails x,y,z. Is this acceptable to you?" Now I had additional duties thrown to me without the compensation but that was probably months after i started. There hasn't been any "sudden surprises." I hope you leave that company. That was really unethical.
In their mind, they were all above board by saying that they could not guarantee any shifts to their employees. I'm a salaried person, in a management role, and failed to compute that the aforementioned statement included my position as well. Had they said that they would expect me to cover nights as needed, it would have been a very different conversation. The term nights did not even come up in this discussion. It should have, as this is traditionally not part of that particular role. Not sure how I can sell two failed jobs to a potential new employer. I must come across as highly unstable, when in fact the opposite is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment