Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:29 PM

40 posts, read 41,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
That certainly is not good news. It either means that the company is preparing to go out of business or that they now want "to do more with less".

Are your positions salaried? In other words, are employees paid for putting in overtime hours? If not, then it may be the second option. Many employers are realizing that they want to "get their money's worth" out of salaried employees by working them 50, 60, 70 hours or more per week since they pay them the same whether the employees work 40 or 80 hours per week.

I think that you should start looking.
I work for one of those too big to fail companies. Other departments seem to be doing okay, but it's my department in particular that decided to do the lay offs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooliette View Post
What's considered a good but reasonable annual % salary increase? I received a 1% increase this year as did the rest of my team.
Well if you’re taking on and absorbing a completely 2nd duty because the company is too cheap to get staffed, I don’t think it’s anywhere near 1-3% raise. 8-10 percent should be reasonable. I mean you’re doing the work of two people. If the company valued its workforce they would at least promote you if they have you doing the work of two people and you have absorbed all the responsibilities of the people who was laid off plus doing your own

Of course, it’s an employers market now so it’s expected for the employees to roll over and get abused because of bad management decisions

It’s why I’m trying to get out of the private sector entirely and never return The way I see it, why should we the employees have to suffer for someone higher ups FAILURES or cheapness to pocket more money for themselves? Or why should one have to worry about making too much that they will end up being laid off once they become too expensive even if they are valuable?

Employers call ALL the shots today thus it’s a crapshoot working for them. All rights have been taking away from the workers

Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
What's considered a good but reasonable annual % salary increase? I received a 1% increase this year as did the rest of my team.
Average now is 3%, so anything above that is good.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
I work for one of those too big to fail companies. Other departments seem to be doing okay, but it's my department in particular that decided to do the lay offs.
Then perhaps it is only your department that is in trouble. Management may have decided to close your department, or more likely, to get their money's worth out of you and your colleagues.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Sometimes management's bonuses are tied to department costs. If a manager can keep costs down by having fewer employees, he may receive a larger bonus that year. Some managers wont allow this to affect their decisions regarding staffing but others definitely will.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Hi all,

My department recently laid off 3 people last month. 2 people have also resigned in the past few months and their positions were never replaced. People are now taking on a much bigger workload. Is this a sign that the department isn't doing well income wise? Should I start looking?

Thanks!
Companies (all companies) would love to figure a way to run their operations with as few people as humanly possible, just a fact of life. Years ago, I went to work for a company that had 27 employees. One by one, they got rid of various people, until we were down to 6 people. Because we wanted to keep our jobs, the 6 of us somehow made it work.

That is why this BS about "trickle down economics" is just that, BS. Anyone who thought companies were going to become these kind hearted entities, who would hire more people and pass out raises, just because of this recent "tax cut", were kidding themselves. The CEO's will make more money, but the average worker will not see a dime.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I ended up with the workload of several people at a job and was killing myself trying to do what they wanted me to do. I was complaining to my boss (the CFO) and even made a spreadsheet that showed what was expected of me and how it was physically impossible to do it in 40 hours a week. He just said to me, "But, NoMoreSnowForMe, you're getting it done."

I quit about 2 weeks later.

They need an incentive to get more help. In other words, don't kill yourself getting it all done, because they will let you.

While your CEO is pulling in a salary of several million dollars a year.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:56 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Is this a sign that the department isn't doing well income wise?
Looking at it from a business owner/employer standpoint, I see nothing to signal anything wrong with the department. If you and your co-workers are doing the work, and there is no reduction in work output or incoming work load, it actually indicates a very well run department that was able to cut cost though employee reduction.

Think about it, if they can dump an employee and all the others pick up the slack, whats wrong with that? If they eliminate another body and the workers still are willing to do the increased work, how is that bad for the company? When they can save money through the reduction of a bloated or inefficient workforce, it means they can concentrate funds on more important things. If your willing to do the work and accept the way it now is, your signalling that you accept those other employees were just dead weight.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Quote:
Hi all,

My department recently laid off 3 people last month. 2 people have also resigned in the past few months and their positions were never replaced. People are now VOLUNTARILY taking on a much bigger workload. Is this a sign that the department isn't doing well income wise? Should I start looking?

Thanks!

I would do the job you were hired for, nothing more. Definitely start looking heck always be available to move to a job with better pay.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:04 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I ended up with the workload of several people at a job and was killing myself trying to do what they wanted me to do. I was complaining to my boss (the CFO) and even made a spreadsheet that showed what was expected of me and how it was physically impossible to do it in 40 hours a week. He just said to me, "But, NoMoreSnowForMe, you're getting it done."

I quit about 2 weeks later.

They need an incentive to get more help. In other words, don't kill yourself getting it all done, because they will let you.

While your CEO is pulling in a salary of several million dollars a year.

Yep sadly the only thing a dynsfunctional company responds to is a large voluntary turnover and exodus of quality people. But by the time they do, it’s probably too late and the damage has already been done. There’s no point of waiting around for idiots to properly manage things and realize they need more support to handle the operation. Since they have already made it point to show they don’t know or don’t care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment