Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 01:39 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
To the guy who said he thought it would be a guy posting and not a female or "mother," what a sexist douche.

To the OP:

I understand what you are saying - there are hard drugs that filter out of your system faster than pot. And pot is probably a less harmful drug than alcohol.

Also: Many states are "Medical MJ" states (which is a joke, but that's another issue) - and some states have legalized it recreationally. I would assume it is still illegal in your state.

If you knew your employer did random tests and smoked anyway, it was not a smart move on your part.

I think employers should remove MJ from their testing lists unless someone has a driving job or a dangerous job where they don't want any possibility of someone smoking ON the job . . .
I think it is messed up that Cocaine is out of your system in 2-4 days but one hit of a blunt can stay for a good month potentially. Hell, I had a roommate once who did a few lines one night and a week later passed a drug test with flying colors. A non-lethal drug stays forever but one that can kill you hauls a$# out of your system? Man, mama said life wasn’t fair but that is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 01:53 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,835,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I can only speak anecdotally, but the people I know who smoke weed just don't stop at one joint a day. It seems like some of them smoke 24/7 like it's a job. A lot of these people also have alcohol problems. Too much of anything is usually bad. Also...if people who drank alcohol did so as frequently as the weed smokers I know, they would be drunk as hell and there'd be no need for a drug test. The smell would be seeping out of their pores. So there's that.
Those are the weed smokers you know.. It sounds like you need to meet some new people who are more respectable characters. It is like people who spend all their time around binge drinkers and think that is how everyone drinks, since it is the type of people who you may be surrounded by in your environment; not the entire population. And, I can guarantee you, there are many, many more weed smokers you don't know, who don't smoke their brains out 24-7. Obviously, people cannot use alcohol in the quantities they can use weed, because alcohol is quite toxic and debilitating.

In fact, I live in the Pacific Northwest and spent two years in Idaho, a place where weed is illegal. Boise is probably one of the worst alcoholic towns I have ever lived in. I witnessed more binge drinking and chronic alcohol abuse there than anywhere. It was actually quite rare to meet someone who could just have a couple beers after work. Don't even get me started about Idaho's problem with meth and opioid addiction.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/living...144967744.html

I, myself, hardly drink at all anymore and use herbal remedies in moderation, mostly in the evening, to help with some chronic pain I have, relaxation and it helps me sleep.

I'm a software developer and require long hours of heavy concentration. Please don't tell me how I am just dumb, lazy stoner who takes bong rips for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Anyway, people are pretty much hooked on their stereotypes.

The same people screaming at this lady, the OP, for smoking marijuana with a 2 year old, may be chain tobacco smoking in their house with a bunch of kids and will end up giving them all types of serious health problems from the 2nd hand smoke exposure. Not to mention, they will buy their kids ding dongs, twinkies and every other garbage food under the sun that will make them sick and have all types of health problems down the line. Yet, they want to criticize this person as a bad parent? I say screw all the hypocrites!

Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
If it's Policy, it is what it is, sorry you find yourself in this position.
My personal observation and experience is that marijuana smoking caused no problems on the job like those with a big booze habit. Sheesh! as a supervisor the latter were a major problem usually.

But at the end of the day, if it's employer policy and there is testing, you put your neck in the noose if you do it.

Good luck finding a new job.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:19 AM

506 posts, read 510,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iameupr View Post
I just got fired due to a random drug test and really upset about it. For reference it was due to marijuana. It has been the only "drug" I have ever had. And I smoked one bowl 8 days ago. I get that I will not much sympathy and I admit I messed up, but it gets me that this is an issue in the first place. Especially when people that can take hard/lethal drugs can easily pass the drug test in just a few days.

I am married and have a two year old son and my husband isn't mad but now due to our stupid puritan society I have to look for another job.
Don't blame others for your own mistakes. It's all YOUR own fault. Getting mad at other people for what YOU did is childish.

"I'm perfect! They're not! I do what I want!"

Sounds like a narcissistic and a bad mother.

And yes, weed IS a drug.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:37 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,697,263 times
The rules were clearly posted and you choose to ignore the rules. Yes you should be fired. Clearly the job was not important to you.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:38 AM

22,247 posts, read 19,253,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iameupr View Post
I just got fired due to a random drug test and really upset about it. For reference it was due to marijuana. It has been the only "drug" I have ever had. And I smoked one bowl 8 days ago. I get that I will not much sympathy and I admit I messed up, but it gets me that this is an issue in the first place. Especially when people that can take hard/lethal drugs can easily pass the drug test in just a few days.

I am married and have a two year old son and my husband isn't mad but now due to our stupid puritan society I have to look for another job.
yeah those pesky federal crimes and those stupid companies who expect their employees to not use mind altering substances, and not engage in illegal activity (federal crime, no matter what your state law is).

no one after reading this post can say that pot does not impair a person's mental capacity

Old 04-15-2018, 05:41 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,085,230 times
Hey that's life. You break the rules, and pay a price for it. Your employer is entitled to what rules he/she/they wish, and since drug testing costs money, there must be something about your job that makes it necessary.

I don't think you are a bad mother, or even a bad employee necessarily. It is what it is. If you were arrested for DUI on your way back from a lunch that included cocktails you would probably be in the same boat.

I'm pretty sure plenty of people criticizing your parenting skills drink alcohol in front of their kids without thinking twice about the not so nice example they are setting for their kids. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is 'better' than something that is illegal.

Caffeine, nicotine and even too much sugar are all mind-altering 'drugs' as well. This is without taking pharmaceuticals into consideration.

We all make mistakes. That is a fact. No one is immune from being imperfect. It's not stupid to make a mistake, but it is stupid not to learn from one. Best wishes in your job search.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Hey that's life. You break the rules, and pay a price for it. Your employer is entitled to what rules he/she/they wish, and since drug testing costs money, there must be something about your job that makes it necessary.

I don't think you are a bad mother, or even a bad employee necessarily. It is what it is. If you were arrested for DUI on your way back from a lunch that included cocktails you would probably be in the same boat.

I'm pretty sure plenty of people criticizing your parenting skills drink alcohol in front of their kids without thinking twice about the not so nice example they are setting for their kids. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is 'better' than something that is illegal.

Caffeine, nicotine and even too much sugar are all mind-altering 'drugs' as well. This is without taking pharmaceuticals into consideration.

We all make mistakes. That is a fact. No one is immune from being imperfect. It's not stupid to make a mistake, but it is stupid not to learn from one. Best wishes in your job search.
Um, no. She is a bad mother and a spoiled girl who never grew up and took responsibility, instead blaming others for her own faults. What example does that set for her child? I doubt her marriage will last if she keeps up that thinking. If her husband is a doormat, there will be a time when it reaches a breaking point and he leaves her.

And I would say the same about booze as well. To put quotation around the word "drug" shows she doesn't believe weed is a drug. It means she is not taking her life situation seriously. It also shows she has to find another job, like she is exasperated. Like it is a responsibility she doesn't want to take.

Her version of what happened reminded me of a woman I knew. She got caught speeding 90 mph in a 75, and got caught by the cop. Cop gave her a ticket. She complained, "That stupid cop gave me a ticket! I had to pay 180 dollars for it!" She knew it was illegal, but did it anyway, and think the world revolved around her, like this op.

That is a bad mother. She thinks the world revolves around HER.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:52 AM

911 posts, read 262,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iameupr
I just got fired due to a random drug test and really upset about it. For reference it was due to marijuana. It has been the only "drug" I have ever had. And I smoked one bowl 8 days ago.
uugghh..... Im sorry they happend to do a random test now!!!!!!!!

Smoking isnt really a bad thing now and then but workplaces usually think quite badly of it......

I hope you can find another job soon

Old 04-15-2018, 06:00 AM

Question. Would people take her side the same if she was a man instead of a woman? Or would the man who failed a drug test be called a "loser" and the belief should be he loses his wife and child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment