Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd;51990794...[B
or other mutual aid or protection[/b]

Please note the clause that I've made bold above. Did the majority on the court purposely ignore this to please those who are really calling the shots in this country.
Joining a class action lawsuit is neither mutual aid nor protection.
Going through arbitration or other Alternative Dispute Resolution practices is neither mutual aid nor protection.

Clearly, SCOTUS found that basic contract law -- employees voluntarily signing on the dotted line -- trumps NLRB decisions regarding arbitration and class action.

There are many other areas where SCOTUS has gone the other direction. For example, let's say I sign a contract agreeing to become your slave. Even though I voluntarily sign it, SCOTUS has long held such a contract is null, void, & unenforceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 07:02 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Although I respect the fact that you are speaking with some degree of experience, I still can't reconcile the court's decision with the clause below from the NLRA.

and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection,
It shall be an unfair labor practice for an employer-- (1) to interfere with, restrain, or coerce employees in the exercise of the rights guaranteed in section 7

Concerted activities, mutual aid or protection, rights of employees. The clause above seems to scream that restricting the right of class action suit is unlawful. We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Please read and respond to my other posts. As a married man, I have enough wisdom to know that I'm only right some of the time.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:36 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The Supreme Court announced today that workers cannot band together in class action suits to enforce things like wage and hour disputes. It was the usual five to four decision that destroy worker rights.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/21/60501...workers-rights

Employees would now be forced into arbitration with huge legal fees.
November is a few months away. Let's correct the mistake that so many made in 2016.
SCOTUS properly said you must follow the rules you agreed to when you signed your labor agreement.

They ruled properly.

No need for any legal fees, btw.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Binding arbitration does not apply when a State or Federal agency enforces their statutes and collects back wages. Employees are not charged fees for that service. Often there is more than one way to achieve a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment