Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

This year, I am finding that as daylight stretches into the evening, I am feeling really disoriented. Once the sun has set, then I'm feeling all right....those 2-3 hours before I go on shift.

Any other night workers feeling the same? Any thoughts to answers why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 08:41 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
I've never met anyone who was able to get used to working these hours. They simply learn to just manage as best as possible. The answer is easy. You're simply going against nature. Your body since birth has been programmed to sleep during the night, and be awake during the day. Hence, your biorhythms are out of wack, and you're constantly tired. I worked this shift ages ages ago when I was first starting out, and the summer months were exceptionally hellish due to long amounts of sunlight. The worst of this ordeal was getting ready to return to work on Sunday night after my body had just experienced returning back to normalcy with sleeping at night, and being up during the day. You need to cover up your bedroom windows to give it the appearance of darkness in order to at least get some decent sleep during the day. Nevertheless, I hope this is not a permanent shift for you, because working this shift will wreck havoc on your body if done for the long term. I did it for 2 years, and I can tell you I felt as if I had aged 10 years. All the best to you.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 AM

25+ years

I don't recall it affecting me like this in previous years and can only conclude that in my second year of living out in the country, something has changed.

I don't know, maybe my body has exited from the light pollution effects that surrounds everyone in the city.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:46 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This year, I am finding that as daylight stretches into the evening, I am feeling really disoriented. Once the sun has set, then I'm feeling all right....those 2-3 hours before I go on shift.

Any other night workers feeling the same? Any thoughts to answers why?
I learned to set a schedule and follow it. Tonight I will be going in at 11pm. I sleep from 2-10 pm. I have found this works for me quite well. I do use some Acetaminophen with PM added to help me sleep.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I learned to set a schedule and follow it. Tonight I will be going in at 11pm. I sleep from 2-10 pm. I have found this works for me quite well. I do use some Acetaminophen with PM added to help me sleep.

I appreciate that but I hardly do any drugs.

The other thing is that......."If I'm lucky, my sleep schedule changes week to week, day to day."

And if I'm not lucky?

THERE'S NO SCHEDULE AT ALL!

As it is, this weekend, I've kept more or less to a night work schedule, sleeping through the afternoon into the early evening, an hour before sunset.(I had set the alarm clock so I would wake up after sunset, but there are things to do before going into work)

But......my dance lesson (we are preparing a dance for a show in August) is on Wednesday afternoon, last week I had a dental appointment in another city in the afternoon (only time I could get it), and then on another afternoon, a meeting with my broker in another city, etc, etc, etc..

It is great that one can set their schedule and keep to it, but often in life, if it is not others that intrude on the nightworker's day, it's life itself. I think that is something most of us Vamirelles have come to realize...right?

But this is not really a question about sleep and the nightworker but rather, being a nightworker, are others finding that when awake that the long sunlights into the evening are unsettling?

Old 06-01-2018, 08:44 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
Not sure why this is a question. We are not set up biologically to sleep during daylight . . . and it is not getting easier with age. . . .

Old 06-01-2018, 02:11 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
I appreciate that but I hardly do any drugs.
I was simply stating what I do. If you would rather stagger about like a zombie at work be my guest!

Quote:
But this is not really a question about sleep and the nightworker but rather, being a nightworker, are others finding that when awake that the long sunlights into the evening are unsettling?

Try blackout curtains. Cover the windows....

Old 06-05-2018, 02:17 AM

Well, I have pulled two or so tricks to make it a bit more bearable.

One of them is waking up right around dusk but that doesn't always work since the body may not be on that sleep schedule. So the second approach has been to see the day time as my world in my sphere of time. It works fantastically when I'm in my house on my ranch.....and it's just me.

I'm not sure how it will work back in the city, around other people, when their "fields" start interfering with my redefinitions of things.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:32 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Well, I have pulled two or so tricks to make it a bit more bearable.

One of them is waking up right around dusk but that doesn't always work since the body may not be on that sleep schedule. So the second approach has been to see the day time as my world in my sphere of time. It works fantastically when I'm in my house on my ranch.....and it's just me.

I'm not sure how it will work back in the city, around other people, when their "fields" start interfering with my redefinitions of things.

I worked nights for around 40+ years. I would still be working nights at 71 if my wife was not seriously ill. What worked for me was coming home and sleeping for three or four hours. Then I would get up and do my chores. But, before I went in that night, I would get more sleep.

I found it too hard to try to stay up when I first came home from work; I felt like a zombie if I did not get some sleep to take off the edge. My second sleep period again refreshed me to go into work that evening; it also helped to shower just before I left for work. At least that is what worked for me.

It is hard to work nights. Like mentioned; you need a black room. I have one with shades and wooden shutters. Sometimes I use the TV for background noise if there is too much noise outside. I also keep 'cave' room phone turned 'off' unless I am expecting important calls. I let my answering machine or wife take most calls. No matter how many times you tell your friends and relatives that you need your sleep they will still call during your sleep periods - they don't understand because they never worked nights.

As far as night shift work: I have always made more money working nights; all companies I have worked for have had pay differentials. Even the Daylight Savings time pays me an hour overtime. I also get to chose times to shop where I am not fighting the crowds. You also have times for your offspring; even though it might sacrifice some of your sleep - at least you can show up at school for important events.

Working second shift you do feel better; but you never see your kids or spouse (if they work a different shift). You can also have a parking problem with second shift at work. Working day shift many can sacrifice hours being stuck in rush hour traffic.

People have to do what they have to do to survive. You simply try to make the best of the cards you are dealt.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:16 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Hey Pal.
I have worked night shift for a while and it is devastating on the body.
I strongly advise finding a day job if possible.
Your heart will thank you.
Your body was designed thousands of years ago to be awake during the day and
asleep at night. You can't change that without wreaking havoc on your whole being.

You have been warned..................Good Luck............Stay well...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment