Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Unfair treatment isn't the same as discrimination. If unfair treatment was a cause of action, we'd need a courthouse on every street corner.

Even if this was a case of discrimination, what are your damages? You kept your sign-on bonus and got an extra month of severance pay. You were laid off, not fired, so there's no damage to your reputation. Not liking your coworkers or your job doesn't count.
whats the difference:
difference between being fired and being layed-off ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 07:45 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeReds22 View Post
I have seen the link. It still doesn’t give the right to stereotype anyone in terms of work ethic.
You are missing the point. Go back and read my posts again if you don't want to remain in the dark about what I posted.

Quote:
Unfair treatment based on your coworkers simply being a******s and not liking you isn't discrimination.
Yes. Not liking someone isn't illegal, even if that personal animosity has employment implications.

Quote:
You were laid off, not fired, so there's no damage to your reputation.
Unfortunately, the words we generally use for such things aren't really very precise. In most states it basically boils down to either employment terminated or employment terminated for cause.

Whether being "laid off" (terminated but not for cause) has reputation impact is a matter of opinion. My last job search took a short time while others with arguably better credentials for that job I got are still looking for a position. I've wondered what could be the effective differences, and one of the things I think I had going for me was that I was coming off of a 16 year stint. That impressed a lot of employers. Someone who bounces from job to job, even through their own choice (much less as a consequence beyond their control - though keep in mind that they look exactly the same to employers) may be attractive to some businesses, but not others.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,403,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
Well, maybe you could re-read your own thread to refresh your memory?

Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,403,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Whether being "laid off" (terminated but not for cause) has reputation impact is a matter of opinion. My last job search took a short time while others with arguably better credentials for that job I got are still looking for a position. I've wondered what could be the effective differences, and one of the things I think I had going for me was that I was coming off of a 16 year stint. That impressed a lot of employers. Someone who bounces from job to job, even through their own choice (much less as a consequence beyond their control - though keep in mind that they look exactly the same to employers) may be attractive to some businesses, but not others.
It depends on the industry, too. In a project-based industry, layoffs are common. But I agree that in an industry where people don't often change jobs, a record of frequent job-hopping can hurt your chances at a new job. In this case, it sounds like one job that ended after a year. OP can truthfully say that there wasn't very much work to do.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:17 AM

47 posts, read 20,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
They’ll laugh him out of the building.
Quote:
It depends on the industry, too. In a project-based industry, layoffs are common. But I agree that in an industry where people don't often change jobs, a record of frequent job-hopping can hurt your chances at a new job. In this case, it sounds like one job that ended after a year. OP can truthfully say that there wasn't very much work to do.
There was work. They simply wouldn’t even let me come close to it. In addition I was in a position where I could be proactive and create my own work but of course they ignored any idea or attempt I made.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:36 AM

1,066 posts, read 767,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeReds22 View Post
Should I just drop it and move on with my life given they gave me 2 extra months of severance or a legal claim could award me much more than that?
A great many people have had similar experiences to yours, sadly. It is an unfortunate situation and I completely understand your frustration. Clearly, your posts are lucid and detailed and there could have been some jealousy on the part of your new bosses, who knows? Anyway best to move past it. You will have a great career in front of you, complete with the painful experience of how to recognize the symptoms of what has become such a common occurrence in the corporate workplace.

Have been through a similar situation, though I had already given official notice of my retirement because it was affecting my life - albeit an early one after a 37-year career at one company. I quietly lawyered up early-on when I recognized the cards being turned up on the table; and so was easily able to prove agism. But such is not typical. We settled a few months after bringing suit. I've all but forgotten the bad parts and feel fortunate to have been able to do things in my job that were completely awesome.

Discrimination is VERY difficult to prove... I was lucky (or unlucky?) enough to be placed under managers who apparently didn't get the requisite coaching on how to stealthily push out their direct reports; who were dumb enough to expose a clear agenda in e-mails and were just plain stupid.

Best of luck.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:42 AM

To add to the insults, generally speaking the position was of a business development type nature generally speaking hence why I could have created my own work and not just wait for it to be assigned and the industry very global. My supervisor almost immediately told me not to look for business opportunities in my native country. It was obvious from the get go that she/he was worried about a situation where he/she couldn’t lead or have the spotlight taken away from him/her.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:10 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Discrimination is VERY difficult to prove... I was lucky (or unlucky?) enough to be placed under managers who apparently didn't get the requisite coaching on how to stealthily push out their direct reports; who were dumb enough to expose a clear agenda in e-mails and were just plain stupid.
These managers are the best. Especially the ones who know they're being discriminatory and choose someone they believe is from a "non-protected" group and treat them similar to you because they believe it gives them legal coverage. Ummm....that's not how this discrimination thing works, dummy. Does your organization have poor statistics when it comes to underrepresented groups? Does objective data show you treat protected groups less favorably and more harshly? Will case law show you acted improperly? Yes? Well congratulations!!! Your vendetta just put Your company in a terrible legal position.

Gotta love idiot managers who are in over their heads. Glad it worked out for you, but sorry you had to go through it.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
These managers are the best. Especially the ones who know they're being discriminatory and then pick and treat someone they believe is from a "non-protected" the same as you because they believe it gives them legal coverage. Ummm....that's not how this discrimination thing works, dummy. Does your organization have poor statistics when it comes to underrepresented groups? Does objective data show you treat protected groups less favorably and more harshly? Will case law show you acted improperly? Yes? Well congratulations!!! Your vendetta just put Your company in a terrible legal position.

Gotta love idiot managers who are in over their heads. Glad it worked out for you, but sorry you had to go through it.
The company is very global with presence in many many countries including my native one, but the office I found myself in was not at all global. I was the only foreign. Imagine an American in a group of only French people, that’s how I felt possibly. Going back to the examples before, what if a group of French bullied an American and in separate conversation laughed and stereotyped another American for being fat in front of the American worker. Just like the vacations conversation, it would be factual. French are skinnier than Americans in general. Still wouldn’t make it right. It would just make the person feel an outcast.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
You had a very toxic work environment and are reaching for anything to stick it to them. Let it go for the sake I your sanity. You don’t have a case, you have a partial recording with no context.

Move on to your next job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment