Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:29 AM

47 posts, read 20,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You had a very toxic work environment and are reaching for anything to stick it to them. Let it go for the sake I your sanity. You don’t have a case, you have a partial recording with no context.

Move on to your next job.
That’s correct. That along emails proving bullying and ostracism (which is not illegal but clearly against the company internal code). And an email telling me not to look for business opportunities in my own country (a very large economy) for no apparent reason since the industry is very global and that particular country is actually key to the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 09:57 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeReds22 View Post
To add to the insults, generally speaking the position was of a business development type nature generally speaking hence why I could have created my own work and not just wait for it to be assigned and the industry very global. My supervisor almost immediately told me not to look for business opportunities in my native country. It was obvious from the get go that she/he was worried about a situation where he/she couldn’t lead or have the spotlight taken away from him/her.
None of which is illegal, nor is it discriminatory.

Move. On.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
None of which is illegal, nor is it discriminatory.

Move. On.
Neither is refusing to do business with african american or hispanic owned businesses. I get it.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:32 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
It is likely that recording conversations in the workplace is against company policy and that having done so is grounds for termination.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It is likely that recording conversations in the workplace is against company policy and that having done so is grounds for termination.
It’s legal in the state. One party consent.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:38 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
Is this a Millennial thing? Sheesh. The job didnt work out, they didnt like you for whatever reason (would be interesting hearing their side). Find another job.

Do you think every job that everyone gets is a wonderful job that works out? No. Sometimes it just doesnt work, sometimes you just dont like the people. They dont like you, you dont like them, they think you're a slacker, you think they are being meanies.

The more you whine and carry on about this, the more you can't move forward and find a better job and a better fit.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:04 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,403,930 times
Here's the EEOC's definition of harassment based on national origin:

Quote:
It is unlawful to harass a person because of his or her national origin. Harassment can include, for example, offensive or derogatory remarks about a person's national origin, accent or ethnicity. Although the law doesn't prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).
What your workplace sounds like is a hostile work environment that involved one minor, isolated incident, if that, based on national origin.

OP, I understand that you were treated badly and you want justice. But you don't have a case.

I also get the feeling of powerlessness and rejection. Spend some time with friends and family. Fix something. Make something. Get some fresh air and sunshine. Do something, and throw yourself into it, to feel like you're in control again. Give thanks that you're rid of these awful people.

Lesson learned: when things are going that badly at work, and you've tried to work it out, it's time to seek other employment.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Here's the EEOC's definition of harassment based on national origin:

What your workplace sounds like is a hostile work environment that involved one minor, isolated incident, if that, based on national origin.

OP, I understand that you were treated badly and you want justice. But you don't have a case.

I also get the feeling of powerlessness and rejection. Spend some time with friends and family. Fix something. Make something. Get some fresh air and sunshine. Do something, and throw yourself into it, to feel like you're in control again. Give thanks that you're rid of these awful people.

Lesson learned: when things are going that badly at work, and you've tried to work it out, it's time to seek other employment.
You are right. Thanks for your words.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Sometimes it just doesnt work, sometimes you just dont like the people. They dont like you, you dont like them, they think you're a slacker, you think they are being meanies.
We don't go to work to like or be liked. We go to work to exchange labor for pay. Too many people forget that very basic concept, which is why there are so many toxic workplaces today...and why some employers find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
We don't go to work to like or be liked. We go to work to exchange labor for pay. Too many people forget that very basic concept, which is why there are so many toxic workplaces today...and why some employers find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit.
Correct. I don’t need to be buddy with people at work and I wasn’t either in company A. But I expect to be respected in a work place. Shouldn’t be too difficult to understand what respect is and respect does not equal being friend with superiors or coworkers. Respect me as professional and as human being first and foremost. Shunning, ostracism, etc is a HUGE lack of respect. Much more than plain old insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment