Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
How typical.

The executives make mistakes and then punish the rank and file with layoffs.

Upper management is not responsible for anything.
It’s like this at every company now sadly. And everyone knows those upper rank idiots are the reason for the failures and nothing is ever done about. No accountability at all in this nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
A lot of these layoffs are coming from the kiosks.

I've always thought McDonald's sucked. They're my last fast food option. For burgers, we have a local fast food chain called Pal's. Cook Out is also good. If I can't go to these, Burger King and Wendy's are better for the bigger national chains.

I don't know that this means a lot.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It’s like this at every company now sadly. And everyone knows those upper rank idiots are the reason for the failures and nothing is ever done about. No accountability at all in this nation
It is the Gervais Principle at work.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:06 AM

204 posts, read 181,701 times
Costs too much
Portions too small

Sized like white castle
Costs like Applebee’s

Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
McDonalds (much like many of the other FF joints) is just glorified frozen food. And not even the good kind. Unless you're a poor college student who's strapped for time AND money, homeless, or on the road and have no other options for hot food, then you should never be eating at McDonalds. Many of those who I mentioned don't have access to a kitchen. Otherwise, even a lousy cook can whip up anything that's superior to McDonalds, much more cost effectively. You can still do frozen food, but since you're buying your own, you now have choices. There are good variety in fr. foods that are quite good for you, and if you're going to pay $6 for a McDonalds sandwich/burger, may as well do this, and perhaps even save a bit of money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
How typical.

The executives make mistakes and then punish the rank and file with layoffs.

Upper management is not responsible for anything.
That's one thing that shocked me... when the Wii U was had poor sales in 2013, the president of Nintendo, the late Satoru Iwata, took a voluntary 50% pay cut. As the person in charge, he felt he was responsible for the poor sales performance. Other executives did the same thing, taking a 30% to 50% pay cut across the board. I'm told that other Japanese companies do this too.

Contrast that to the US... when the going get tough, they slash worker benefits, salaries, and lay them off, all so higher ups and stockholders can get bonuses. I'm amused at those who defend $400 million CEO salaries, compensations, and benefits, saying they're worth every penny because of the tough decisions they make every day, but they don't ever acknowledge they can screw up, royally, but still justify their ridiculously high pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
McD got the $1 any size drinks. Good enough for me.
Water is still cheaper

Old 06-08-2018, 11:12 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
McDonalds (much like many of the other FF joints) is just glorified frozen food. And not even the good kind. Unless you're a poor college student who's strapped for time AND money, homeless, or on the road and have no other options for hot food, then you should never be eating at McDonalds. Many of those who I mentioned don't have access to a kitchen. Otherwise, even a lousy cook can whip up anything that's superior to McDonalds, much more cost effectively. You can still do frozen food, but since you're buying your own, you now have choices. There are good variety in fr. foods that are quite good for you, and if you're going to pay $6 for a McDonalds sandwich/burger, may as well do this, and perhaps even save a bit of money!

That's one thing that shocked me... when the Wii U was had poor sales in 2013, the president of Nintendo, the late Satoru Iwata, took a voluntary 50% pay cut. As the person in charge, he felt he was responsible for the poor sales performance. Other executives did the same thing, taking a 30% to 50% pay cut across the board. I'm told that other Japanese companies do this too.

Contrast that to the US... when the going get tough, they slash worker benefits, salaries, and lay them off, all so higher ups and stockholders can get bonuses. I'm amused at those who defend $400 million CEO salaries, compensations, and benefits, saying they're worth every penny because of the tough decisions they make every day, but they don't ever acknowledge they can screw up, royally, but still justify their ridiculously high pay.

Water is still cheaper
Nintendo and McDonald's have two very separate business structures. McDonald's is primarily a franchiser not an operations business.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:45 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nintendo and McDonald's have two very separate business structures. McDonald's is primarily a franchiser not an operations business.
I live in a large city with a whole bunch of McDonalds locations all over the place. But last I heard, none of the ones here are company-owned stores. They are all franchise operations.

I wonder how this will impact those independently-owned franchise operations, whose employees technically don't work for McDonald's?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:48 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I live in a large city with a whole bunch of McDonalds locations all over the place. But last I heard, none of the ones here are company-owned stores. They are all franchise operations.

I wonder how this will impact those independently-owned franchise operations, whose employees technically don't work for McDonald's?
I would imagine McDonald's will throw some money at franchisees to install kiosks as well as bring out profit projections if they do so.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:09 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,118,417 times
I will not order food from a kiosk.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:57 PM

346 posts, read 551,110 times
Uhm... why not? Is it out of some weird principle that you have?

The kiosks at McDonald's are actually great. They're touch screen, you cycle through the menu, make any adjustments that you'd want (extra pickles, no onions, etc.), pick up and enter the number of the table "tag" thing, pay and find your seat(s). The employees will then bring out the food to your table by finding the table "tag" thing.

So now instead of the frustration of having to order and rely on someone behind the counter to get it right, you have total control as well as have service closer to a regular restaurant.

I went to one McDonald's with a kiosk yesterday for a quick bite, and today at a non-kiosk one to get my son a chocolate sundae treat and an iced tea for myself. The experience was night and day. At the former, it went fine. At the latter, the teenager employee was uninterested and barely communicated with me on my order. It took a lot of energy to remain patient with him and that was on a simple order. And he gave me the wrong change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I will not order food from a kiosk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment