Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:33 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
That you don't like my answer does not mean it is not an option.

What did the people do who were actually hired? The point here is for people to think about that question, and not make excuses.
Exactly. Taking personal accountability is the ultimate form of empowerment. Being able to truly reflect and objectively evaluate what went right/wrong is equally important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 08:30 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Try quoting my entire post next time.
Try actually addressing the fact that employers offer dead end jobs all the time while advertising "career growth" in their careers site.

Please stop halo effecting every single employer without exception.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Try actually addressing the fact that employers offer dead end jobs all the time while advertising "career growth" in their careers site.

Please stop halo effecting every single employer without exception.

I did say exactly that in the post you quoted. The problem was you skipped that part off in your misquote of what I actually said.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Taking personal accountability is the ultimate form of empowerment. Being able to truly reflect and objectively evaluate what went right/wrong is equally important.
Interesting how you talk about personal accountability but do not believe that applies to employers.

Double standard = corruption.

Tell me, using your theory of personal accountability, how does a candidate get around the catch-22 of no experience, no job; no job, no experience? What steps can a candidate do?

Apparently you believe that only the candidate is at fault and nobody else. in your eyes, employers are perfect and do nothing wrong. You don't question the ridiculousness of the catch-22 and give the employers a pass on this ridiculous standard.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Interesting how you talk about personal accountability but do not believe that applies to employers.

Double standard = corruption.

Tell me, using your theory of personal accountability, how does a candidate get around the catch-22 of no experience, no job; no job, no experience?

Apparently you believe that only the candidate is at fault and nobody else. in your eyes, employers are perfect and do nothing wrong.
They get around it the same way everyone else did. For example, when I graduated college, a ton of employers wanted 1 to 2 years experience for entry level roles. How do you do that? Interning. I did four internships in college to not only pay for my school but to develop skills to augment my degree. All you need is to be likeable enough for one person who was also in your shoes at one point to pick you. The standard of competition increased. If you graduate, and sat around on your ass for years, you may not be in the best position to compete with qualified candidates. In other words, the standard for interning is lower than getting full degreed jobs at the end of the rainbow...

And no, employers who treat their employees poorly are punished by getting lessor quality candidates. Good employees know when they deserve better, and people with attractive resumes, personalities, and actual options in the real world CHOOSE to leave.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 06-27-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-27-2018, 08:53 AM

626 posts, read 903,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
I work for a huge company but at this point you can’t move on because they are filling most positions with people who are right out of college. Holding positions for when they graduate. If I am interviewing at a new company and they ask why I am leaving rather than seeking a different opportunity within the company, what is a reasonable answer?

You're looking for the next challenge in your career. Although you're going to regret leaving XYZ because it's been a great place to work & you've learnt a lot, there aren't any opportunities at this time to make a lateral move. Regrettable, in order for you to grow and develop, you have to move on.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
They get around it the same way everyone else did.
That's not how everyone else did. Back in the day there were actual entry level jobs that required no experience. People would start out in junior roles and moved up from there.

That's not happening today. There are no entry level roles (except sales) that require no experience.

Quote:
For example, when I graduated college, a ton of employers wanted 1 to 2 years experience for entry level roles. How do you do that? Interning. I did four internships in college to not only pay for my school but to develop skills to augment my degree
First, internships are available only in school Once someone graduates, they cannot get an internship. So career changers and recent grads are locked out. Apparently you don't question the irrationality of requiring internships only in school instead of allowing graduates to get them as well.

Second, if one does not get a full time job after the internship, game over. A six month internship does not qualify one for an entry level job that requires 1-2 or 2-3 years experience.

Internships are a crap shoot at best. The element of chance is big here.

Where's your theory of personal accountability now, that you're basically advocating gambling?

Third, career changers who are taking classes part while working their old job, can't take internships. They have this ridiculous reason of having bills to pay and a family to raise. I know, I know, you'll preach your "personal responsibility" again putting the blame on the career changer for having a family and personal responsibilities. How dare they give up their $40/hour contract for a minimum wage internship which is a gamble at best!

Quote:
All you need is to be likeable enough for one person who was also in your shoes at one point to pick you.
If that was the issue, we would not see hordes of people who can't find jobs due to the catch-22. After all, nobody ever read Dale Carnegie's book or its 50,000 different copycats out there.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
That's not how everyone else did. Back in the day there were actual entry level jobs that required no experience. People would start out in junior roles and moved up from there.

That's not happening today. There are no entry level roles (except sales) that require no experience.

First, internships are available only in school Once someone graduates, they cannot get an internship. So career changers and recent grads are locked out. Apparently you don't question the irrationality of requiring internships only in school instead of allowing graduates to get them as well.

Second, if one does not get a full time job after the internship, game over. A six month internship does not qualify one for an entry level job that requires 1-2 or 2-3 years experience.

Internships are a crap shoot at best. The element of chance is big here.

Where's your theory of personal accountability now, that you're basically advocating gambling?

Third, career changers who are taking classes part while working their old job, can't take internships. They have this ridiculous reason of having bills to pay and a family to raise. I know, I know, you'll preach your "personal responsibility" again putting the blame on the career changer for having a family and personal responsibilities. How dare they give up their $40/hour contract for a minimum wage internship which is a gamble at best!

If that was the issue, we would not see hordes of people who can't find jobs due to the catch-22. After all, nobody ever read Dale Carnegie's book or its 50,000 different copycats out there.

Back in the day?

Who cares about that. Markets are spot rates of what is happening today.

“Back in the day”, my job would have had a pension. It doesn’t.

I don’t waste time thinking about how things USED to be.

Also, the rest of your post is excuses and garbage. If you want it to happen, get your ass up and make it happen. No one is going to support your dream like you support it. We’ve all had setbacks. You just continue on and play the hands you’re dealt. You can’t always change the hand. That’s life.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
It simply isn't available where I am.

My division recently laid off a significant number of staff and is on a hiring freeze. Unless you're leaving the general area, there really aren't many other employers to go to. The economy is supposed to be good, but it still feels like a recession here with people hanging onto their jobs by their fingernails.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It simply isn't available where I am.

My division recently laid off a significant number of staff and is on a hiring freeze. Unless you're leaving the general area, there really aren't many other employers to go to. The economy is supposed to be good, but it still feels like a recession here with people hanging onto their jobs by their fingernails.
The ”economy” is doing about as well as you’re going to see it in any of our lifetimes.

Some job functions, industries, companies, or metros may be struggling individually. Just because the economy in general is trending a certain way doesn’t mean others won’t be trending the wrong way.

I’m not saying this is true, but for all we know your company could be a dinosaur that’s dying a slow death from awful management. That doesn’t mean the economy is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment