Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:18 AM

199 posts, read 129,421 times

Advertisements

I work for a huge company but at this point you can’t move on because they are filling most positions with people who are right out of college. Holding positions for when they graduate. If I am interviewing at a new company and they ask why I am leaving rather than seeking a different opportunity within the company, what is a reasonable answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:44 AM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Just tell them that there are no opportunities within your current company. Period.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:50 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
^^^ disagree. Tell them that you're always exploring new opportunities, both internal and external.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:50 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
My question (that I wouldn't verbalize ) is...why do they care? They should be concerned with why I want to work for them.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:55 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
My question (that I wouldn't verbalize ) is...why do they care? They should be concerned with why I want to work for them.
They care because why would your own company not want to promote you or not allow a talented person to move for a career opportunity internally? Why don’t you have contacts you’ve developed who will go to bat for you internally?

It’s a logical thought to have.

Sure, you might just have a bad company and maybe it really does boil down to that, but it doesn’t hurt for them to ask.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
They care because why would your own company not want to promote you or not allow a talented person to move for a career opportunity internally? Why don’t you have contacts you’ve developed who will go to bat for you internally?

That's none of their business. They should be concerned with whether my skills are a match for the position they're trying to fill. Why aren't they working at my current company to know for themselves? If there's a dubious reason for my departure, I certainly won't tell you. The question is a waste of time and certainly would be (and has been) a red flag for me as a candidate. I wouldn't be jumping to work for any company focused on my past.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:54 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
That's none of their business.
Says you. But you're the one who started the thread. Right?
Your assumptions are now being challenged.

Quote:
They should be concerned with whether my skills are a match for the position they're trying to fill.
They are. But they are also curious why your current employer isn't taking full advantage of all
the wonderfulness you seem to be presenting to the new company.

The obvious answer is that some link in this assumption equation is wrong.
Quote:
I wouldn't be jumping to work for any company focused on my past.
Good luck with that.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:41 PM

You people who pick apart a post line by line are hilarious. Yes, says me...as a person who is responding to the thread. Now, do you have something of value to contribute, or is your role to antagonize people whose views you don't agree with? The poster asked a question. Since you obviously think the question is valid, I'm sure she'd appreciate an answer that will help her.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
You people who pick apart a post line by line are hilarious. Yes, says me...as a person who is responding to the thread. Now, do you have something of value to contribute, or is your role to antagonize people whose views you don't agree with? The poster asked a question. Since you obviously think the question is valid, I'm sure she'd appreciate an answer that will help her.
All these responses should be helpful; in order for her to respond favorably she should have an idea of why the question is being asked - you clearly have no idea.

The hiring company is asking because they want to know as much about the potential hire as they can to make an informed hiring decision. Companies want people who are ambitious, who look to broaden their horizons, show initiative and branch out to gain more knowledge. Joe Lunchbox, who shows up, signs in, drones through his shift and signs out right on the dot might get the job done but unless he's on an assembly line employers are looking for more because they're always looking to the future even if some employees are not.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
They care because why would your own company not want to promote you or not allow a talented person to move for a career opp
Or maybe the new employer is offering a dead end job and does not want someone who has options to move up. So if the OP is stuck in a dead end job, and they're offering a dead-end job, the match is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment