Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times

Advertisements

Who here goes to work everyday and tries to do the least amt of work with least amt of effort?

And, what part of the government do you work for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Can't speak for other government workers, but I was in my profession because it was important and something I felt worthy of doing to the best of my ability. I would have been deeply ashamed and embarrassed to do otherwise. A guilty conscience is not something I care to live with regardless of money. Maybe it's easier for you?

Old 08-06-2018, 01:53 AM

25 posts, read 18,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Unfortunately, the workplace is full of people just like you. They are just there to collect a paycheck, get no personal satisfaction out of doing their job well, and then wonder why they never get out of that rut. I've worked with a ton of people just like that over the past 60 years.

I can see it when someone is in their teens, but by their 20's , most people should be finding their purpose in life and want to make that life even better, and hard work and dedication are the way to achieve that goal.

But , there is an upside. People like the OP make the rest of us look great and our employers go out of their way to show their appreciation. Thank you for making my climb in all the careers I have had over the years so much easier !
He didn't say he was an example of this. He was just asking a question like we all do on this forum.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:30 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it might incriminate me.

But I will answer about a friend -- who after 30 years in his career field was just burned out...he wasn't young and hungry anymore was at the top of his field in pay, no room for advancement where he was...he was union covered, and the company didn't expect more than a performance level that came naturally to him anyway.

So he did just enough work to stay employed. Just enough to show management "he cared." He'd earn brownie points here and there, every now and again. But day-to-day he was bored and had no interest in the work anymore. Management loved him. He would stay for OT when needed (every once in a while). Didn't make too many mistakes. Didn't cause trouble. What more did he need to do?

He'd reconciled to himself that he was trading his time for a paycheck. That's all.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:52 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,099 times
There are people with passion, drive, and ambition who struggle to move-up in their career.

There are people who are lazy, and do just the bare minimum and move-up with relative ease because they have an easy-going, cool personality.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
^^ And those in between.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
A Co worker once said...I work smarter not harder. Delegating is my forte! I then said, on what planet?
Our boss said...if he put half the energy in completing the project as he does in avoiding task..it would get done.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
I witnessed a turnover of coworkers in recent months. They came to work, floated and coasted throughout the store, got mad when priority tasks had to be completed, and took additional unofficial personal time off. They found themselves without employment.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:11 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
That is exactly what I do. When I was young and naïve, I believed in the work hard and you will be rewarded rah rah BS. After a long career spent watching nepotism and butt kissers get ahead while the hardest working most loyal employees were rewarded with more work and mandatory unpaid overtime only to be thrown out on their butts during mergers and private equity deals, I grew wise to the con. Employment in the US is a game and the only way to win is to do your best to exploit the other side. If you are an employee doing the least you can to sneak by is the best approach to life in the modern world.
Very true. At one point there may have been meritocracy but no longer does that exist. These days the only “reward” for hard work is just more work

Old 08-06-2018, 09:16 AM

413 posts, read 301,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Who here goes to work everyday and tries to do the least amt of work with least amt of effort?

And, what part of the government do you work for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment