Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 02:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
Many of the international students would "cheat" by collaborating on assignments and projects, but I never saw a problem with this and I personally don't think it's true cheating. I feel like you can learn a lot by seeing how others approach and tackle problems. In industry, you always have to work together with teammates to complete projects; you never truly work alone. So why is there so much emphasis on doing everything solo in school? Always seemed silly to me.
Doing homework and projects together isn't cheating. It's collaboration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 02:56 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I can't speak for traditional engineers like electrical, mechanical, or civil, since I never was one. I know that newly graduated Bachelor's degree engineers still have to pass an examination in order to be licensed engineers. So if you manage to cheat in your degree program, you may not be well prepared to pass the certification test.

the few ee's and me's i know dont have their p.e. and they work at large corporations designing helicoptor parts, ic's and avionics for several years.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:09 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the few ee's and me's i know dont have their p.e. and they work at large corporations designing helicoptor parts, ic's and avionics for several years.
Oh, I see.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:33 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
I have a friend who cheated his way through his engineering degree. Now has high powered job flying around the world.

I know everyone is like, get a STEM degree job opportunities are better. Perhaps in some cases. Engineering is a notoriously hard degree, and lot of people don't even try because they're not sure they can do it. But those that do try and end up over their heads and cheating their way through, how common is this? I suspect it's actually quite common.

Do you know anyone who cheated their way through engineering school and is now, ahem, an engineer?
I have an engineering degree from a pretty reputable school and am more than halfway through a masters. Or was i should say. The fact that you think that having an engineering degree delivers you some kind of high paid job like a present at xmas time makes me think you are either in high school or in college.

Nobody is going to pay you because you have a degree. Youre going to have to work for that $.

If you want a job making 150k sitting on your ass, those do exist, but getting them is more about whom you know than your degree.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Education, yes. But a degree, especially an engineering degree has quite a dear market value. So cheating is perhaps the rational thing to do (instead of flunking out). If you get caught cheating, maybe they ask you to leave. But you lose out on perhaps millions if you don't get your degree.
The difference between getting an engineering degree and not getting one millions of dollars?

LMAO. Oh my god. Thank you so much. Funniest thing Ive heard all year...

Old 08-25-2018, 06:47 PM

50 posts, read 29,260 times
As some folks have mentioned, you have to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering examination and Professional Engineers examination to become a true registered professional engineer and be able to use the title.

When I worked in the field before retiring, as a supervisor I would not hire anyone who did not at the least pass the Fundamentals of Engineering examination.

At my undergraduate engineering college, our professors told us if we could not pass the FE examination, we should sue the college for an inadequate education (but our passing rate was one of the highest in the nation at 98% or so).

Old 08-26-2018, 02:27 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
People cheat in every aspect of life: in school, on their marriage, by declaring bankruptcy, plagiarizing, copy/paste, stolen ideas, lying about being sick so the professor can give them extra time, etc.

It's life, no reason to be upset over it.

They say that even chimpanzees will cheat each other and do deceptive things, so it isn't something that was invented in modern times. But there are some people who'd like to think that they have risen above that.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:47 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
I have a friend who cheated his way through his engineering degree. Now has high powered job flying around the world.

I know everyone is like, get a STEM degree job opportunities are better. Perhaps in some cases. Engineering is a notoriously hard degree, and lot of people don't even try because they're not sure they can do it. But those that do try and end up over their heads and cheating their way through, how common is this? I suspect it's actually quite common.

Do you know anyone who cheated their way through engineering school and is now, ahem, an engineer?
Nonsense, and I'll tell you why. There are no high powered jobs in engineering that cause you to fly around the world. Just the very description you present is someone's fantasy. I don't know why you are impressed with someone who has to board a plane for their job as if it were some kind of vacation.

As for cheating, you simply can't do this through an entire degree program and never have to do the work and know your stuff. It is impossible.

I've worked in software and IT for many years, and most don't get through a simple phone screening for interviews, so I don't know how someone can cheat and fake they know something to a job that's in an important lead position. As for the technical part of an interview, asking questions is basic and I don't know of any real technical jobs where you can simply BS your way.

I guess posts like this, are to make people who never tried to advance themselves feel better that they are not successful by lying to themselves that those who are successful cheated.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
When I was a software developer, one of my colleagues told me that he cheated his way through college in earning his Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. It really didn't make any difference though. He was a bright individual and was able to do his job well.
I think he was simply saying something flippant to get attention and sound like a rebel, cause I don't see how you can cheat on software courses like when a professor asks you a question in class, or asks you to go to the board and do something. There are also people who don't want to appear like they were a nerd, and it makes them sound more colorful if they give the appearance they didn't work hard and just partied all the time.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Not only was he smart but he had a good outgoing personality and an "honest" look about him. People found it impossible not to like him. I'm sure that helped him during his college days.
The CS assignments in software are largely to prepare you to take the exams and more importantly advance to the next class, so how can he pass an exam if he doesn't know what is going on? How can he take the more advanced courses without having learned anything? An honest look isn't going to provide the answers for an exam.

There are people who like to brag about how clever they are, but claiming they cheated all the time is one of them, when in reality it is not possible. Because there are people who have high GPAs and still don't get the jobs because someone else was better prepared.

And it is a fantasy now to believe that someone is hired into a high paying job simply based on their college transcripts.

I know it can seem like others have it easy, but what you don't know is how hard many of them work because they are good at hiding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment