Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times

Advertisements

My wife graduated high school at 18, and then proceeded to spend the next 12 years doing pretty much as you did, floating around between retail, front desk and administrative assistant jobs. At age 30, now married with two kids, she decided to take the plunge, quit her job and enroll in school full time. She got her associates degree in nursing at the age of 33. She just completed her Bachelors in nursing this august. She has been working successfully in nursing since she got her associates. No one cared about her age or what she had done before that. Like you, she sometimes like to throw pity parties for herself lamenting the fact that she didn't get her bachelors a decade earlier, then she realizes that she is now in a much better place than many people who have been working for longer. Point is that you should just focus on what you need to do NOW to get yourself in the position that you want to be in. Maybe you find the profession/job you like and then guess what, you might not even want to retire at 65. When you love what you do, its no longer a job.

P.S. At her graduation, one of her fellow graduates was 65. He decided to become a nurse and is now living his dream. Colonel Sanders of KFC fame didn't start the company till he was in his 50s. Age aint nothing but a number! don't forget that! Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 09:37 AM

72 posts, read 261,071 times
You're not dead yet so why would getting a degree now be a waste of time?! Good for you! I'm 47 and working on a Master's degree in accounting. I'm usually the oldest (or one of the oldest) students in class although I look very young so they probably don't know that. My undergrad degree was in psychology. I won't get into what I think about that. You should not worry about your age. That is negative thinking. I have come to the reality that some employers will not want me because they want the young kids that they can mold (and overwork) and that's okay by me. I don't want to work for them anyway. But then there are many other opportunities that I will have with this degree that I would not have without it. Since I'm not rich, I still have to work 20 more years (or so). I feel like if I only worked 10 years with this new degree then it would have been worth it. I don't feel that it makes any sense to "settle" for decades when I can improve my job prospects and command a higher salary. My two cents.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

Age discrimination. It's supposed to not exist but it does. It's very difficult to prove. Age discrimination is supposed to start at 40, but I've read article that it even starts at 35.

I think judging on age now is silly given that tenures of most jobs are less than 5 years. If a tenure with a company is only typically going to last somewhere between 2-5 years, what's the difference in hiring a 25 year old vs. a 60 year old?
I recently got a little part time job just for some "fun money" at a uber trendy store in Branson (American Eagle Outfitters, to be specific). I showed up the first day and everything seemed to be fine, but the next day I noticed that everyone was twenty-something. It still didn't bother me since I am young at heart. But I noticed something strange, my work schedule was full of errors. Because I have other obligations, my work schedule has to be a certain way. When I was hired, the manager told me "no problem" that she could easily accommodate my scheduling needs. When I brought the errors to her attention, she said she would "fix" them but never did. Since I could not work the shifts she had scheduled me for, we sort of "drifted apart". I can't imagine that she was THAT incapable of creating a work schedule, so I suspect she did it on purpose because I did not fit in with the "CULTURE" of the company.

Oh well, her loss.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:54 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
At the local Starbucks by my house, every now and then they will get an older40+ employee, and it is obvious all the other employees do everything possible to make their life hell on the job.

They never stay more than a few weeks.

I am sure the manager now says, see, those old people just don’t last, when the real issue has nothing to do with that.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I can't imagine that she was THAT incapable of creating a work schedule, so I suspect she did it on purpose because I did not fit in with the "CULTURE" of the company.

Oh well, her loss.

I agree with your assessment. That's exactly what happened. Store level retail employment is often a joke.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 AM

674 posts, read 608,787 times
The medical field is one where grey hair is usually appreciated and respected. As a 60 y-o physical therapist, I can relate a lot better to my elderly patients than a 25 y-o new grad.
OP - if you have the stomach and drive (& funding) for it, see if a medical profession is do-able for you.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:55 PM

245 posts, read 152,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I agree with your assessment. That's exactly what happened. Store level retail employment is often a joke.
Yeah, most people who work retail, including the managers, are either unfocused high school/college aged people doing it part time or they have made something of a career out of it because they aren't that bright and/or they are lazy. Just think about the types of people you see working at Wallyworld.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler0311 View Post
So my situation seems to be unique. I just recently completed my degree in psychology. I'm 37, about to turn 38 at the end of this month. I've done google searches for advice online for people in my situation, and they are not very helpful as they assume someone at my age already has prior life and professional experience and are thus considering a career change.

I spent the last 8 years in college. It took me longer due to taking time off to deal with personal issues.
I'm unmarried and have no children.

I did a 4 year stint in the military prior to college. Before that, I kind of floated around working retail and restaurants. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the impression of potential employers or not, as they typically don't ask one's age at interviews (or do they?) and I look pretty young due to my parent's genes. But also, how viable is a career at my age? Will I be able to have a full life at work, and still retire?
Or have I screwed myself due to my life's decisions?

Thanks
You're going to have a difficult time. I'm 36 and I'm discriminated against all the time because of my age.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
They'll know because of your resume.

Unless you're only going to put on your resume that you attended college from 2010 - 2018 and that's it, which I don't recommend.

Once you put that you've been in the military and you have a couple of jobs to include before that, they'll figure out that you are in your 30s at least.

Also, YOU might think you look like you're 26, but it's doubtful you do.

As far as starting a career at age 38, it's going to be awkward. And there's always going to be azzholes who will talk about you. In any case, you don't have a choice. I do have a choice and I still am trying to do it. So, you're not alone at least.

I'd also mention that there's a number of careers where a mid-life career change is not as uncommon, such as teaching, nursing, physical therapy, law. Etc. Just as examples. But in a hierarchy based field, it will be more uncommon and your age will be more scrutinized.

If you are interested in a non-hierarchy based field, I would try that. For example, if you became a counselor, less likely to be an issue, because it's a non-hierarchy based field ... relatively.
I'm 36 and I get mistaken for an intern all the time at business functions. (Our interns are usually juniors in college)

Old 10-22-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler0311 View Post
This makes sense, and the awkwardness is definitely something I can see happening. I don't understand why my age would be professionally scrutinized. Does age have any bearing on my job performance? If you are talking about socially, then yes, I can see that. Also, I can see some employers being kind of judgmental about it. As for looking 26, most people guess my age to be around 24-25. 30 year olds think I'm a kid when I talk to them. It's just genetics. If you don't believe me, I'll send you a photo, lol. Then again, my appearance really isn't the issue here. I'm just explaining why I never assumed it to be a big deal in my social life. But I want to know what kind of pitfalls I might endure.

If the issue is more of a social one, I can deal with that. But if there are any official or life issues I might deal with, that's what I'm truly worried about. I do intend to get married one day. Maybe have kids, preferably not though. I don't know how that would work out though.
It doesn't but companies don't care. They want hip, savvy millenials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment