Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 PM

27 posts, read 21,230 times

Advertisements

So my situation seems to be unique. I just recently completed my degree in psychology. I'm 37, about to turn 38 at the end of this month. I've done google searches for advice online for people in my situation, and they are not very helpful as they assume someone at my age already has prior life and professional experience and are thus considering a career change.

I spent the last 8 years in college. It took me longer due to taking time off to deal with personal issues.
I'm unmarried and have no children.

I did a 4 year stint in the military prior to college. Before that, I kind of floated around working retail and restaurants. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the impression of potential employers or not, as they typically don't ask one's age at interviews (or do they?) and I look pretty young due to my parent's genes. But also, how viable is a career at my age? Will I be able to have a full life at work, and still retire?
Or have I screwed myself due to my life's decisions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Congratulations on finishing college! That's a huge accomplishment, and you should feel very proud.

What kind of degree do you have, and what kind of job are you interested in? I do not think your age is a big strike against you, and your military experience is a big plus! Do you have any retirement savings so far?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:40 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler0311 View Post
I'm 37, about to turn 38 at the end of this month.
I spent the last 8 years in college.
I just recently completed my degree in psychology.

I've done google searches for advice online for people in my situation...
...they assume someone at my age already has prior life and professional experience

...how viable is a career at my age?
Will I be able to have a full life at work, and still retire?
Yes. People change and re-invent themselves at every age.
But I frankly don't think the Psych degree will help you one bit.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Congratulations on finishing college! That's a huge accomplishment, and you should feel very proud.

What kind of degree do you have, and what kind of job are you interested in? I do not think your age is a big strike against you, and your military experience is a big plus! Do you have any retirement savings so far?
My degree is in psychology. I would ideally want a job in some sort of collaborative field where I get to work with others on community minded projects; I was thinking maybe working in the non-profit sector. Not really sure though honestly. I really just want a career that feels socially fulfilling. As far as retirement savings... not much. I have like $8k in a savings account, but with the rate at which my car breaks down and needs repairs, that's mostly just a safety net for rainy days. My military experience was in the Infantry, so I learned how to use machine guns and rifles really well, and march in formation, but I'll take your word for it on it being a big plus.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes. People change and re-invent themselves at every age.
But I frankly don't think the Psych degree will help you one bit.

What do you want to be when you grow up?
A farmer or police officer, neither of which I want to do now.

I really just want a professional job where I can earn a living and not feel like I'm wasting my life. I don't need to be a psychologist, but a decent office job or professional position where I have room to grow.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Is it a Bachelors? You can hunt around a bit online for good options for someone with that degree.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-ca...hology-2794943

I wouldn't plan on an early retirement given few savings and starting at an entry level position.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Is it a Bachelors? You can hunt around a bit online for good options for someone with that degree.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-ca...hology-2794943

I wouldn't plan on an early retirement given few savings and starting at an entry level position.
It is a bachelors, yes. I guess my questions is what kind of life can I expect? Will I be working until I'm 90? Will I be able to have a full and active career at this point? Is it even worth it to start at this point?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:53 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Of course its worth it to start. Why wouldn't it be?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course its worth it to start. Why wouldn't it be?
I'm just worried that at my age I would be professionally disadvantaged. I don't honestly know why, it's just a vague feeling that I have that starting so late could be a problem. I honestly don't know what issues there would be, specifically. I just thought it's a bad idea to start a career late.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler0311 View Post
So my situation seems to be unique. I just recently completed my degree in psychology. I'm 37, about to turn 38 at the end of this month. I've done google searches for advice online for people in my situation, and they are not very helpful as they assume someone at my age already has prior life and professional experience and are thus considering a career change.

I spent the last 8 years in college. It took me longer due to taking time off to deal with personal issues.

I did a 4 year stint in the military prior to college. Before that, I kind of floated around working retail and restaurants. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the impression of potential employers or not, as they typically don't ask one's age at interviews (or do they?) and I look pretty young due to my parent's genes. But also, how viable is a career at my age? Will I be able to have a full life at work, and still retire?
Or have I screwed myself due to my life's decisions?

Thanks
Prospective employers only care about how much money you are going to make them. Being single without children is a plus. During your interview, convince them that you are motivated and dedicated to making money for them. Trust me, they won't care about experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment