Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:13 PM

999 posts, read 554,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Never understand the stigmata in the age thing in many respects. You’re 38. You still have 25 years left to work or a little less. It’s ridiculous
Exactly. I hate when people act like I'm weird for having stigmata in my 30s. I can experience the suffering of Jesus Christ just as well as any young person!

To OP, you are NOT old. Even if you were 10 years older, I still think you should do what you want to do in life and not let anyone stop you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 04:45 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Exactly. I hate when people act like I'm weird for having stigmata in my 30s. I can experience the suffering of Jesus Christ just as well as any young person!

To OP, you are NOT old. Even if you were 10 years older, I still think you should do what you want to do in life and not let anyone stop you.

Thats all nice and dandy but unfortunately the employers call ALL THE SHOTS. Not the employee looking for work. Sure do whatever it is you want, but you can't force anyone to hire you either. And the fact is, ageism is real in today's world. Once you hit 30, unless you're on the "management fast track to success" your days are numbered.

Its not right of course. But its the sad reality of today's nutty workplace

Old 10-16-2018, 04:46 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Being frank your chances at a traditional career that isn't in a sh** hole is very very slim.

I would try and leverage your military benefits as much as possible. I never served so I am not familiar if the GI bill limits you to one degree or not. If anything if I were you I'd try and re-enlist and get an officer position or speciality non-combat position. Then get a second degree in something more usable like robotics or something. If you are not interested in STEM or Business then just do any old job enlisted so you can eventually get pension and just retire abroad to a low cost country. I believe it's 20 years and you get 50%. So start now and you'll be done at 60 right on time. I'm not sure if you'd have to do ASVAB again. But private employers these days are incredibly close minded these days looking for purple squirrels. Your resume is not even going to get the first look as the algorithm will automatically scrap it.

When I was under-employed post college after the recession I told myself if I couldn't get into the private sector I was either going to serve in one of the armed forces branches indefinitely, take a civil service exam or teach english abroad indefinitely. Because once you reach a certain age with nothing to show for it there's a very low chance of convincing people to give you a chance.

A lot of people will give you hope and try to be positive but I was raised with a hard knuckle do or die approach. I think too many children of my generation were coddled and told "you can do anything", "god will make a way" and other soft "feel good" advice. I was told that there was a slim margin for error and make the wrong move too many times and you're gonna be homeless for the rest of your life and end up dead somewhere under a bridge from frost bite because they don't care about homeless Men. That put the kick in my a** necessary to make sure I knuckled down and did my damndest to get on some type of track and not wait until age 35+ to decide it's time to get my life together. Retail was NEVER communicated to be a long term option to me by my parents, grandparents. If I did not find something by a certain age it was enlisting, city work (hell even sanitation which actually has the best pension policy in NYC out of all the departments) or moving abroad and starting over.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:01 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Thats all nice and dandy but unfortunately the employers call ALL THE SHOTS. Not the employee looking for work. Sure do whatever it is you want, but you can't force anyone to hire you either. And the fact is, ageism is real in today's world. Once you hit 30, unless you're on the "management fast track to success" your days are numbered.

It's a function of money and lack of guts.

Prior to age 30 or so, a lot of people actually change careers.

But because most people want a family, they believe they cannot afford to take a paycut after a certain point, which is around age 32 or so. They also don't want to be a lower status.

Because nobody has the guts to do it, there's very little precedence for entry level people at that age, and it becomes very difficult to start a career in it.

I worked with a woman who changed careers from real estate to my job at age 31 or so, and then dated a woman who was supported by a husband and then moved into a well paid finance track at around the same age.

But the older you get, the harder it gets.

OP has to be really tenacious and aggressive.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,767,525 times
38 is young. I wouldn't worry about that. I would be far more concerned about the time you "floated around" doing various jobs. Employers are very judgmental about any employment gaps and the fact that you have no children will not work in your favor. I have been there. But you have a degree now and you have military experience which is very admirable - and may also give you preference if you wish to apply in the public sector.

You are not old. Just be prepared to answer questions regarding why you left each job or for any times you were not working. Unfortunately, we can't say child-rearing.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:22 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Being frank your chances at a traditional career that isn't in a sh** hole is very very slim.
For a traditional corporate career (corporate meaning most office jobs), where there's like a clear progression to junior employee to Executive VP of Operations, or some BS ... there is less chance.

For a career teaching high school or being a nurse, or dental hygienist, etc mid-life career changes and starts are quite common.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:39 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler0311 View Post
I just recently completed my degree in psychology. I'm 37, about to turn 38 at the end of this month. I've done google searches for advice online for people in my situation, and they are not very helpful. I did a 4 year stint in the military prior to college. Before that, I kind of floated around working retail and restaurants. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the impression of potential employers or not, as they typically don't ask one's age at interviews (or do they?). But also, how viable is a career at my age? Will I be able to have a full life at work, and still retire?
Or have I screwed myself due to my life's decisions?

Thanks
I'd first ask what type of career you are looking for. I notice that you mention you have a degree in Psychology. I'm not really familiar with that area, so I can't comment on it. I doubt in an interview they'll ask your age point-blank, since that might open them up to possibly being accused of being ageist. I think though that they'll be able to peg your age, based on your appearance, even if you look younger. With that said, I wouldn't freak out about it. It seems like a lot of people want to say 'Oh, you're screwed. You got a tough battle ahead of yourself. This is so bad!' But, I think it'd be best if you identified what you truly love to do and are good at doing. If you like treating and helping people, there's always social work, teaching, health care, etc. And, as others mentioned, changing careers later in life isn't uncommon in those fields.

Also, if you're okay with saying (bleep) the corporate world, you could always volunteer with nonprofits as a way to possibly get hired by them down the road. I think if you prove to them that you "were lost, but now am found" and want to turn over a new leaf, nonprofits might give you more of a chance than the corporate suits. Or, if you want to be in the business world, I'd check out staffing agencies (which are good either way) and try to get assigned on a temp project, then really work at it.

On the plus side, all it takes is one job that you're good at (that also has stability) and you can build up experience and turn things around.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post

Lol, (blood starts running down palms).

Agree with this (about the age thing)...I think the OP should just go for it and try not to worry about what society says you must do, but to focus on something that you can make a difference in.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:43 PM

999 posts, read 554,163 times
Quote:

Yeah, I guess I get it. I'm self-employed so I don't think about this stuff very much. But personally, I'd rather be poor than work for a company that would discriminate based on age.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:44 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,715,111 times
Look into Smithfield Foods. They are heavily prejudiced into hiring former military. They love former military. Having a degree in any subject is also a big plus there.

Also look into Automatic Data Processing (ADP). While I would not recommend this company for a long term job, you can use it as a stepping stone to better things. They also like people with military experience. A degree in any subject is also a big plus to have there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment