Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:28 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUSPECT AN EMPLOYEE HAS AN ALCOHOL PROBLEM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 03:33 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Use the medical chart ABC method. Besides the time and date document

A for appearance

B for behavior

C for conversation

Only the facts, Ma'am. They are to be interpreted by the highest in the chain of command.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:41 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
First, read up on your company's policy. Then follow that. You can report suspicion to HR, or your supervisor, but if it's not your position to do anything, then don't. Know before you Blow (it) You dont confront the employee(s) Even with witnesses, unless they have documented proof, which is really a blood or breath test. Even seeing someone with a bottle in their hands and drinking can be twisted to, "it was a prank, it really had KoolAid in it" type. Breath, nope, some people have bad breath, drank the night before and didn't get it out of their system enough. If you're not the person that administers drug tests, then just report it up, of your "Suspicions" nothing more unless it affects this person's performance and the safety of others.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Exactly. This is what I would focus on - performance.
Nice in theory, but there are so many ways an incapacitated or intoxicated employee can call down the rain of destruction it's not something that can be tolerated. Knowing the employee (with a perfect record, even) was lit frequently on company/work time will not be overlooked when they back a forklift over someone or post someone's personnel file on the open intranet. Will not be overlooked by law enforcement/regulatory investigators; will not be overlooked by insurance.

You cannot tolerate a known employee under the influence no matter how good their work record is.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:52 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
The OP never said the person was under the influence; he said they had alcohol on their breath. You absolutely can not ignore intoxication.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:46 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Don't most companies today have random pee tests? That should help solve your problem.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 10-31-2018 at 06:07 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 06:40 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Actually, I'd approach this from the other end of the cow: You state you've inherited a dipsy bunch of slough offs, with a friend in there as a wrench. You have and are putting in the extra hours to bring things up to speed. I'd work on the one or two on the team that seem to be pulling their weight. You may be surprised by what you find out.

I'd then enquire upstairs as to the performance level of the team and (hint, hint) the whys of why you were hired. Was there a "problem"??? hint/hint/ Upstairs might figure out you're not going to be putting in 12 hours days for free for too long.

Yes, I'd start an infor. file. You mean there ISN'T one now? All the more reason to ask upstairs, gently, what has been going on. hint/hint
fyi If this crap keeps up you're not going to be there very long any way. !!!

Old 10-31-2018, 11:02 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times
To the silly answers from those who didn't read my post thoroughly, or who aren't answering the q, I'll just let it lie. Thank you to the others. All I asked about was documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Use the medical chart ABC method. Besides the time and date document

A for appearance

B for behavior

C for conversation

Only the facts, Ma'am. They are to be interpreted by the highest in the chain of command.
Thank you for answering my question. This is what I'm doing. The smell was confirmed by another manager last wk & a senior employee today. One employee let it slip today that they take liquor store trips.

I'm good from here on out, thank you.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Does the company do drug and alcohol testing of employees? Check with HR and see if this can be done for your group. Say you want to do this to ensure the safety and quality of the work.

Do not wait until there is a serious problem, because there is going to be one.

Those who fail the tests according to company policy can be recommended for substance abuse treatment or terminated. But you need to having the backing of your management to take this action.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Keeping the response limited to documentation as requested, use your company email to send yourself a message on that same account. Document your factual observations, time of break, duration of break, any apparent change in appearance, odor, or behavior, including no apparent change.

This will create a log documenting severity and frequency, and can easily create a comprehensive file for HR to act upon.

Expanding the response for the benefit of other readers who may be new managers, if your labor budget allows for it, hire a person or two now and start training them. Reduce the hours of your current staff if possible to allow for this. That will give you the bench strength to deal with a group walkout, which may be the best long term solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment