Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 05:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Nope. It should not be my responsibility to stand up to a SUPERIOR because they're the ones that are making the inappropriate comments. If I am uncomfortable and feel pushed into a corner, I have every right to go to HR.

It was under the pre-tense that we were going to a meeting, but then after we left the office he told me we were looking at an apartment.
Some people have a very twisted sense of how to deal with problems. It is fine to tell kids, that they should not accept candy from strangers, but the fault still lies in those strangers offering the candy.

I guess some people have a fantasy that if a woman is treated badly in the workplace, she should immediately toss the male offender down a flight of stairs. That's not the way to handle things either, because it isn't going to gain you respect from a hostile workplace.

Share a hotel room together? Come on, that was just so nuts to even suggest that. And what is you did accept that under the reason it was to save company money, and he attacked you? Then he would simply say it was with your permission since you agreed to share a hotel room together.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Nope. It should not be my responsibility to stand up to a SUPERIOR because they're the ones that are making the inappropriate comments. If I am uncomfortable and feel pushed into a corner, I have every right to go to HR.

It was under the pre-tense that we were going to a meeting, but then after we left the office he told me we were looking at an apartment.
You are absolutely correct. Your boss could be creating what is termed a "hostile work environment" that makes it uncomfortable for women to work for him. Women (and men for that matter) should not have to come to work and shake off such overtures by their boss. Many professional women will not tolerate this behavior and simply leave the organization; some may even file a complaint with the EEOC . HR has the responsibility not the OP.

Last edited by Maddie104; 03-10-2019 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 06:44 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Some people have a very twisted sense of how to deal with problems. It is fine to tell kids, that they should not accept candy from strangers, but the fault still lies in those strangers offering the candy.

I guess some people have a fantasy that if a woman is treated badly in the workplace, she should immediately toss the male offender down a flight of stairs. That's not the way to handle things either, because it isn't going to gain you respect from a hostile workplace.

Share a hotel room together? Come on, that was just so nuts to even suggest that. And what is you did accept that under the reason it was to save company money, and he attacked you? Then he would simply say it was with your permission since you agreed to share a hotel room together.
Actually as her superior, he is held to a higher standard and that defense would not be acceptable.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:52 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
Quote:
I started this position at my current job about 5 months ago and it's been fine so far, nothing special but it's the highest paid job I've had so far (I'm 25).

Look. This isn't "corporate culture". This is your sorry boss being a Type A passive aggressive manipulator. Are you going to get overtime? If yes, then so be it. Take the extra paycheck or change jobs.

P.S. Don't ask for a raise until you prove you can do the job. If overtime isn't good enough a raise for you, then quit. If you ain't gonna get more money, then quit. But don't burn your bridges.

You're being taken advantage of, at least to some extent.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:11 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,841 times
Cool story bro. Not all industries are like this and thank god! Mine isn't, that's for sure.

Your industry or companies workaholic "get it done at any costs" culture sounds awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!

1) If you are a PM for a commercial construction company and ran out of work, you would be fired. If the PM catches up, and is maybe ahead, he is expected to assist the estimator. You are still 7am or earlier until 5pm or later.

2) If you are a PM or other salaried position and 16 inches of snow fell overnight and you didn't get to the office until 8:30am because you had to dig yourself out, you would get your a$$ torn.... "well, you should have gotten up earlier to dig out".

3) Planning is done by the architects and consultants... Contractors have to build it, on budget and on schedule. Doesn't matter if the estimator goofed and your company was low bid by 20%. The PM has to get the job done for the contract price or HE loses his job. The estimator who blew the quote keeps his.

4) Going back to #1, if you are out of things to do by the end of the day, and are sitting on your a$$ waiting for somebody to hand you your next assignment, you will be fired. You need to generate work that your employer makes money on, or you lose your job.

5) Is your job actually an exempt salaried job, or should your work be hourly? You should look into that.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:44 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
Quote:
I started this position at my current job about 5 months ago and it's been fine so far, nothing special but it's the highest paid job I've had so far (I'm 25).

Anyways, my working hours are 8:00 - 4:30 (I am supposed to take a 30 minute lunch, but I usually just end up working while I eat). Even before and after I get home from work, I am still responding to some work emails on my phone (which I'll count on my time sheet even though I am salaried).

When I got into work yesterday, my boss told me that 'things are all about perception' and has asked me to stay until at least 5, if not longer. He then went on to say that a new (as in started 3 weeks ago) business development 'higher-up' noticed that me leaving at 4:30 just means that I am apparently not busy enough... Even though I have great time management skills and am able to do all my work in the allotted 8 hours while at work.

I was then asked if I could start working 9 - 11 hours every day, and then asked me to start taking on more responsibilities (I just checked out my job description (I can find it on our ATS, and the job description is only about 50% of what I actually do).

So not only do they want me to work 3 extra hours every day, just for "perception", they also want me to start doing way more than what I was originally told I'd be doing. So I'm not very happy.

I know that I've only been here for 5 months, but it would be outlandish for me to ask for some kind of raise, right? I just am not happy that I'm gonna be asked to stay for a couple hours longer (when I'll just be BSing, since I won't have any work to do). Am I also being unreasonable for thinking this is just absurd? Don't you just LOVE American Corporate Culture!!

I just got into work today and my boss said I need to do work/reports over the weekend so it's done by Monday... Now I don't even get weekends to myself without work
These are not good people.

They are trying to take advantage IMO, and looking for a "yes man"

I would start looking for a new job.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:28 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,791 times
managers are always pressured (sometimes self-imposed) to show how great their departments run and how dedicated their employees are. being fast and competent is usually not a good thing for them. Just keep doing what you're doing, don't work the extra hours, and begin to look for a new job immediately.
I was a manager for thirty years plus and I've run across this so many times it doesn't surprise me.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 AM

293 posts, read 190,898 times
UPDATE: It is a new week, boss asked me why I didn't complete the work over the weekend and I told him that I was 'extremely busy'... He didn't seem happy at all and had me do it this morning when I got in.

I've just decided that if I am ever asked/'forced' to do work over the weekends, I'll just either not do it or say "oh sorry, I'm busy". My partner and I usually go on short weekend trips, so I would not be able to do any work even if I wanted to

Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
UPDATE: It is a new week, boss asked me why I didn't complete the work over the weekend and I told him that I was 'extremely busy'... He didn't seem happy at all and had me do it this morning when I got in.

I've just decided that if I am ever asked/'forced' to do work over the weekends, I'll just either not do it or say "oh sorry, I'm busy". My partner and I usually go on short weekend trips, so I would not be able to do any work even if I wanted to

The time to say that would have been when the work was assigned to you and you accepted it. You might as well quit now, I don't see this lasting long or ending well. I suggest learning how to be professionally assertive before your next job. The way you are handling this right now sounds passive-aggressive to me. Accepting work with the plan of just not doing is plain childish and not a way to handle an adult professional situation.

I would also find out about the work requirements before you accept a job. It sounds like everyone else is doing all these things. What your boss said about perception is also true. It just does look bad if a new employee especially is leaving 30 minutes before the rest of the office every day. Next job at least start out working the same general hours as everyone else.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:31 AM

293 posts, read 190,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The time to say that would have been when the work was assigned to you and you accepted it. You might as well quit now, I don't see this lasting long or ending well. I suggest learning how to be professionally assertive before your next job. The way you are handling this right now sounds passive-aggressive to me. Accepting work with the plan of just not doing is plain childish and not a way to handle an adult professional situation.

I would also find out about the work requirements before you accept a job. It sounds like everyone else is doing all these things. What your boss said about perception is also true. It just does look bad if a new employee especially is leaving 30 minutes before the rest of the office every day. Next job at least start out working the same general hours as everyone else.

Should I just tell him that I won't be doing weekend work in general, or when he asks me to do it, I just tell him that I can't because I have plans I am already committed to?

I get there a good 1 hour before everyone else though, that's the thing. It would make sense if we were all coming in at the same time and I left early, then I could see them getting mad. But I am here 1 hour before everyone else gets into the office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment