Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 05:24 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times

Advertisements

Many organizations are not fair and don't care about being fair and you don't have the political currency to fight what is going on. My advice is stay focused on doing what is necessary to make your resume look good, i.e., took on increased responsibilities . . . and get a good reference from your boss. You don't want him to say, she did the minimum and was an average employee.

Keep notes of any sexually offensive behavior and documentation of the meeting with HR in the event your employment is terminated. For HR to excuse your boss's behavior with he was trying to save the company money by rooming with you is ludicrous. This, most importantly, tells you what you are up against.

Try to stick it out until you have a years experience and then get out.

Last edited by Maddie104; 03-09-2019 at 05:40 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 06:59 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Many organizations are not fair and don't care about being fair and you don't have the political currency to fight what is going on. My advice is stay focused on doing what is necessary to make your resume look good, i.e., took on increased responsibilities . . . and get a good reference from your boss. You don't want him to say, she did the minimum and was an average employee.

Keep notes of any sexually offensive behavior and documentation of the meeting with HR in the event your employment is terminated. For HR to excuse your boss's behavior with he was trying to save the company money by rooming with you is ludicrous. This, most importantly, tells you what you are up against.

Try to stick it out until you have a years experience and then get out.
Don't think you're aware this is already a bust from the beginning. The boss was never going to be a good reference because he legitimately was trying to slide in her Pill Cosby style in a hotel on a work trip.

Come on people reading comprehension

Old 03-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Don't think you're aware this is already a bust from the beginning. The boss was never going to be a good reference because he legitimately was trying to slide in her Pill Cosby style in a hotel on a work trip.

Come on people reading comprehension

My reading comprehension is fine; your disparaging commentary presumptous, pompous and uncalled for.

Asking to share a room and "legitimately to slide her a pill Cosby style" is a big stretch. You have no way of knowing whether he will set his personal feelings aside and provide a truthful reference. However, if the OP refuses to take on additional responsibilities, her boss can legitimately say she put did the minimum, only worked standard hours and refused to take on additional responsibilities.

I have many years expertise in this field and the hiring company may require/prefer that past employers be contacted. The OP does not want to give her boss any basis for a reference that reflects poorly on her work performance even if she cannot control what he says.

It may be in fact be in the OP's boss's best interest for her to leave the company and not do anything to deter that from happening.

Last edited by Maddie104; 03-10-2019 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-10-2019, 10:02 AM

898 posts, read 598,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
But they are actually doing work, aren't they? I mean, they aren't being told to work another 3 hours to make it look like they are busy at work are they? People who work in construction also have time off when there isn't good weather, and during the planning they work normal hours indoors.

HAHAHAHAHA!

1) If you are a PM for a commercial construction company and ran out of work, you would be fired. If the PM catches up, and is maybe ahead, he is expected to assist the estimator. You are still 7am or earlier until 5pm or later.

2) If you are a PM or other salaried position and 16 inches of snow fell overnight and you didn't get to the office until 8:30am because you had to dig yourself out, you would get your a$$ torn.... "well, you should have gotten up earlier to dig out".

3) Planning is done by the architects and consultants... Contractors have to build it, on budget and on schedule. Doesn't matter if the estimator goofed and your company was low bid by 20%. The PM has to get the job done for the contract price or HE loses his job. The estimator who blew the quote keeps his.

4) Going back to #1, if you are out of things to do by the end of the day, and are sitting on your a$$ waiting for somebody to hand you your next assignment, you will be fired. You need to generate work that your employer makes money on, or you lose your job.

5) Is your job actually an exempt salaried job, or should your work be hourly? You should look into that.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
I started this position at my current job about 5 months ago and it's been fine so far, nothing special but it's the highest paid job I've had so far (I'm 25).

Anyways, my working hours are 8:00 - 4:30 (I am supposed to take a 30 minute lunch, but I usually just end up working while I eat). Even before and after I get home from work, I am still responding to some work emails on my phone (which I'll count on my time sheet even though I am salaried).

When I got into work yesterday, my boss told me that 'things are all about perception' and has asked me to stay until at least 5, if not longer. He then went on to say that a new (as in started 3 weeks ago) business development 'higher-up' noticed that me leaving at 4:30 just means that I am apparently not busy enough... Even though I have great time management skills and am able to do all my work in the allotted 8 hours while at work.

I was then asked if I could start working 9 - 11 hours every day, and then asked me to start taking on more responsibilities (I just checked out my job description (I can find it on our ATS, and the job description is only about 50% of what I actually do).

So not only do they want me to work 3 extra hours every day, just for "perception", they also want me to start doing way more than what I was originally told I'd be doing. So I'm not very happy.

I know that I've only been here for 5 months, but it would be outlandish for me to ask for some kind of raise, right? I just am not happy that I'm gonna be asked to stay for a couple hours longer (when I'll just be BSing, since I won't have any work to do). Am I also being unreasonable for thinking this is just absurd? Don't you just LOVE American Corporate Culture!!

I just got into work today and my boss said I need to do work/reports over the weekend so it's done by Monday... Now I don't even get weekends to myself without work
Ask for an updated job description that lists all of your responsibilities so there is no misunderstanding what is expected of you.

If they are not open to having this conversation, start looking. If they are open, you MAY (emphasis on MAY) have grounds for negotiating a new title and/or raise.

This is an area where you could find yourself in a sticky situation rather quickly if there are no clear boundaries/expectations.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Asking to share a room
Aside from you clearly not reading OPs follow up replies... in what Universe is it remotely smart or not an HR violation for a Male Boss to share a room with a female suboordinate

The fact you just gloss over it implies you believe that is fine

Old 03-10-2019, 01:56 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,000 times
Sounds like you got a bad boss who doesn’t care about your well being. I say start looking for a new job, and in the future, do not check your email when you are not at work. Even if you do check email after work hour, don’t respond, just check and see what is going on.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Aside from you clearly not reading OPs follow up replies... in what Universe is it remotely smart or not an HR violation for a Male Boss to share a room with a female suboordinate

The fact you just gloss over it implies you believe that is fine
Please refer to my post #84:

"Keep notes of any sexually offensive behavior and documentation of the meeting with HR in the event your employment is terminated. For HR to excuse your boss's behavior with he was trying to save the company money by rooming with you is ludicrous. This, most importantly, tells you what you are up against."

My point was that asking whether the OP wanted to share a room does not rise to the level of the Bill Cosby drugging women for sexual purposes. Again, refer to my post #84 if my postion is not clear to you regarding the appropriateness of the boss's conduct.

It serves no further purpose to keep responding to your attacks regarding my reading comprehension and your mischaracterization of my posts, so I will refrain from any further response and ask that you do the same.

Last edited by Maddie104; 03-10-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 04:37 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
From my old fart perspective, I suggest that you would have been better off addressing these crude comments directly.

The strong women I've known in my life would have said something like "Whoa buster, that kind of language/comment won't fly here. You need to clean it up." And the offending male would have slunk off with his tail between his legs, and he would not have repeated it.

You don't run straight to the authorities every time someone does something off-color.

Weren't you ever a kid? What happened to snitches on the schoolyard?

If addressing offensive behavior directly, repeatedly, does not help, after repeat incidences, then you CONSIDER whether to get the authorities (HR, in this case) involved.

Remember that HR is there to make sure the company does not get in trouble, not to re-engineer your boss' personality.

Again, I think you need to sit down with an older woman that you respect and will listen to, and run through this, and listen to her comments and advice. Someone strong and tough.

^^
This.

If you can complain about your hours 5 months into this job, you can assert yourself if you think someone is being inappropriate. That's your responsibility.

And how, exactly, did he "have you" go apartment-shopping? He either asked you, or somehow brought it up. "No" would have been a good response.

I hope you're looking for another job; you already have too much bad history where you are now. Oh, and I wouldn't tell the prospective next employer that you thought too much was being expected of you in this job.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:50 PM

293 posts, read 190,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
^^
This.

If you can complain about your hours 5 months into this job, you can assert yourself if you think someone is being inappropriate. That's your responsibility.

And how, exactly, did he "have you" go apartment-shopping? He either asked you, or somehow brought it up. "No" would have been a good response.

I hope you're looking for another job; you already have too much bad history where you are now. Oh, and I wouldn't tell the prospective next employer that you thought too much was being expected of you in this job.
Nope. It should not be my responsibility to stand up to a SUPERIOR because they're the ones that are making the inappropriate comments. If I am uncomfortable and feel pushed into a corner, I have every right to go to HR.

It was under the pre-tense that we were going to a meeting, but then after we left the office he told me we were looking at an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment