Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 10:31 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Some even say age 35 now....
In Silicon Valley, one's career is over at age 35 unless they become an founder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 01:12 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Agree. I am retired and have the same concerns. As bUU says it used to be better and now it is worse. What is so hard to understand about that? Yet somehow when someone points that out it is labeled as a complaint or a "doom and gloom" outlook. It is what it is.
Because there are always people who claim there is doom and gloom regardless of how well things are going. Just because they say it is bad, or it will be bad and bad is just around the corner, that doesn't make it so. They collect pieces of data that aren't correlated and use it to form a hypothesis that things are bad, when they aren't because it feeds their personality.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:15 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
In Silicon Valley, one's career is over at age 35 unless they become an founder.
You have metrics on this?

Old 04-07-2019, 04:30 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Because there are always people who claim there is doom and gloom regardless of how well things are going. Just because they say it is bad, or it will be bad and bad is just around the corner, that doesn't make it so. They collect pieces of data that aren't correlated and use it to form a hypothesis that things are bad, when they aren't because it feeds their personality.
Then, of course there are the cases where those people actually know that there is a difference, having lived through both then and now, and because actual metrics, such as those depicting wage stagnation and underemployment, show that there is a difference - while meanwhile other, perhaps those who have a vested interest in how things have changed and perhaps even benefit from how things have gotten worse for others, work hard to try to deny the difference.

One or the other.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:03 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Yes, there are people who like to claim doom and gloom. And people who constantly say that things are great. Nevertheless, the point is that things have gotten worse. And you don't have to be a doom and gloom person to see it. An upbeat person can cheerfully accept that and try to dance around and exert themselves in trying to overcome this, successfully or unsuccessfully, and a person who is downbeat can do the same or just give up.

But the point is that things have gotten worse, no matter how one handles this situation. It is just something that has happened, and not anyone's fault. Maybe, someday, things will improve. Maybe by today's standards, things are going great. But things used to be better. And that is the point, not a doom and gloom attitude.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:36 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No one is talking about things being "perfect". That's a red herring typically raised in discussions like this to try to distract attention away from what people are actually saying, because there isn't a legitimate rebuttal to what they are actually saying.

What this is about is how things were better and now they're worse.

Better; worse.

Again, no one is talking about "perfect".

That may be the case for an individual in the situation, but what makes you think you're conversing solely with such people? I'm months from retirement, and I suspect some others in this thread are already retired. It isn't about getting the next job for us, but rather concern about the world-slash-labor/employment marketplace that we're leaving for the young ones in our family.

^^^This^^^

Old 04-07-2019, 01:50 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I live in an area dominated by manufacturing and healthcare. The largest area manufacturer announced job cuts citing impacts from their China operations and trade war. The two regional health systems merged last year and that also led to a lot of redundancies and several RIFs.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:05 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
We hit the highest number off job cuts since first quarter 2009, during the Great Recession. The Challenger, Gray & Christmas report is for announced mass layoffs. The corporations have to give 60 days notice for mass layoffs. We won't see the effect on payroll numbers until June. If you got written up or placed on a performance improvement plan, your manager may have been informed of a pending layoff.

A few years ago, half of my department got written up. Within 6 months, we found out our jobs were outsourced to a vendor in India.
Job Cuts Hit Highest Mark for First Quarter in a Decade - Challenger Report
In the first quarter of the fiscal year employers cut 190,410 jobs, says a report from Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/jo...eport-14917519
EDIT: Post edited to provide more context on the Challenger, Gray and Christmas report for the unfamiliar.
The economy and jobs are cyclical. They will never go up in a linear fashion. There will always be pullbacks and consolidation. The economy is doing absolutely great, but there will always be people (mostly liberals) who are looking for the pockets of negativity so they can use them to promote their agenda. Such a waste of effort if you ask me. I don't let any government or party in power dictate my personal circumstances, I make my own. If you think because "so and so" is President, or isn't President, and that's the reason your personal circumstances are dire, then you are a delusional idiot.

There is a huge shortage of workers in the construction industry, but too many younger people haven't been trained or are afraid to get a little dirty or heaven forbid get a splinter that will keep them from playing Fortnite or something. The ones that do show up place a higher priority on their next tattoo or piercing over the quality of work they produce. It's sickening if you ask me, and they deserve to suffer a lot. It will make for a stronger country and workforce eventually, but probably not in my lifetime.

There are actually more jobs available now than there are people to fill them, it's just that everyone started thinking they were too good to work certain jobs while they waited for something better to come along.

Stop it with the falsehoods that things are getting bad BS. It's not true for most of the country right now, especially black people who have record low unemployment, no matter how bad your angry ideology wants it to be true.

(This isn't directed exactly at the OP, just the flurry of responders who couldn't wait to throw their "Oh woe is me" political jabs in thinking that somehow the current President is responsible for their misery. He is not, you are just miserable people overall)

SS

Old 04-07-2019, 03:25 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Why is 'highest first quarter' a statistic worth observing? Why are job cuts only and not net employment figures worth observing?

That was written by a company whose business model is to place people who lose their jobs. That sounds like a company cherry picking statistics to advertise their business....

Even handed as usual I see. This is just as news worthy as any jobs report that the corporate media deems news worthy. In fact it's more important since the corporate media only reports about murders and other nonsense. Shouldn't people know what is going wrong as well as what is going right? This statistic is important in case the second quarter has the similar results.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Nonsense. Things actually have been bad and things are actually getting worse for the least fortunate among us. The attempt to lie to the American people about that fact is strictly political ... an attempt to foster an environment where some benefit at the expense of those less fortunate.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikshe...to-a-new-study

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikshe...le-working-did

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/15/62921...nderemployment

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...nderemployment

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fe...ght-2018-08-20

I do wonder if the reason the unemployment rate is so low is because there is a sizable amount of people who have left the workforce/a lot of baby boomers are now retiring. Offshoring/outsourcing seems to be ever increasing and technology automating jobs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment