Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 11:30 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times

Advertisements

His reasoning = I'm a manager now, I need to manage which is delegating. I quote "I'm not suppose to do any of the individual contributor role tasks anymore so I'm passing it along"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 11:33 AM

801 posts, read 547,684 times
He might be right. All depends on what line of work you guys are in...

Old 05-20-2019, 11:34 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
His reasoning = I'm a manager now, I need to manage which is delegating. I quote "I'm not suppose to do any of the individual contributor role tasks anymore so I'm passing it along"

At times, that's right. Without knowing anything about where you work or what is done.. I can't knock the guy.

That being said.. Oftentimes people will take that attitude when they should not. Management doesn't necessarily mean sitting on your butt.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 5,001 times
I had the worst time at my old job with people getting new roles on the same team without worrying about backfilling their old responsibilities. And their new roles always seemed to be about 1/5th as much work.

If you want to change someone elses role, make sure my workload doesn't double because of it. Its amazing to me that our shared supervisor wouldn't ever take this into consideration. Their would just be this awkward amount of work that was left in limbo until somebody realized last second that it needed to be done and I normally got asked to stay late to do it

Old 05-20-2019, 11:49 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmo89 View Post
If you want to change someone elses role, make sure my workload doesn't double because of it.
+1 exactly how I feel. To me, management should accelerate hiring to backfill roles rather than just promoting first

Old 05-20-2019, 12:03 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
He shouldn't be doing his old job because he isn't in it any more. He should he doing his new one. As a manager he has different tasks than he had before. If he were to continue doing his old job, the new one wouldnt get done.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Is there an expectation that he do his old work? A promotion to management typically means that you do different work, which may include overseeing your old work.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:30 PM

515 posts, read 360,226 times
Default Could be true

The first corporation I worked at, a guy was promoted to management operations. After that he just walked around, told jokes, drank coffee, reviewed new albums he had heard, and if somebody was sick he penciled in a replacement and had them come in and cover. That's it. That's all he did, for years. I could not understand it, but then I had never worked in a corporation before. So in your case, it might be true. Maybe he is management now and does not have to do the old work.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
He might be right. All depends on what line of work you guys are in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
At times, that's right. Without knowing anything about where you work or what is done.. I can't knock the guy.

That being said.. Oftentimes people will take that attitude when they should not. Management doesn't necessarily mean sitting on your butt.
Correct. It depends on local expectations, but managers do different things from individual contributors. Typically I would not expect a manager to do the day to day job of his/her direct reports. The ones that I have seen do that are terrible managers.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:42 PM

732 posts, read 969,394 times
There are plenty of the ponzi game players. People who come out of college, don't do much of anything but suck up, then once promoted to management they do even less (if that is even possible) for the people where you work. I had my own company for 20 years at the end of my career and I had to deal with management at all companies I provided a service to. I could always tell the ones in management that were trying to truly lead by showing new ideas, or get new work for the company, or basically anything positive, versus the droves and droves that just sucked up and got into management and did nothing. Sounds like you may have one of those you are working with. Just avoid them it all one can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment