Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It was not a business visitor, it was someone else who works at the same institution. No one gets into my secured area without a badge unless they are accompanied by an employee.

I looked blankly at him because I truly could not fathom what he wanted. I was not rude, I was confused.

And no, he's not the "new owner" because this is a not for profit corporation, we don't have an owner, but I well acquainted with the CEO.

In any case, all the comments still have not changed my mind to believe that it's normal for people to wander around offices and ask random people the whereabouts of other people. I guess I underestimated the CD tendency to attack and pile on to people who start a thread, complete with creating a laundry list of erroneous assumptions that have no connection to reality.
You just don't get it. Who cares that it is a non-profit. They have new Executive Directors and a Board member don't they? They have donors coming there to see someone. But you continue to cherry-pick who you are going to be polite to and it will come back to bite you. I suspect you will be back on C-D complaining about how your boss told you, that you were being let go cause "you aren't a good fit" and you will be clueless about the whole thing. Business owner, co-worker or the janitor, your behavior was rude. Let's see how you react when you have something important going on and can't find who you were looking for and you will very well remember someone who wasn't helpful to you. The work place is a society, and unless you had an office door that can be closed, you are open to the company because the employer designed it that way. You go complain to someone on the board of directors at this non-profit about this, and see their reaction to your big concern here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:36 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You just don't get it. Who cares that it is a non-profit. They have new Executive Directors and a Board member don't they? They have donors coming there to see someone. But you continue to cherry-pick who you are going to be polite to and it will come back to bite you. I suspect you will be back on C-D complaining about how your boss told you, that you were being let go cause "you aren't a good fit" and you will be clueless about the whole thing. Business owner, co-worker or the janitor, your behavior was rude. Let's see how you react when you have something important going on and can't find who you were looking for and you will very well remember someone who wasn't helpful to you. The work place is a society, and unless you had an office door that can be closed, you are open to the company because the employer designed it that way. You go complain to someone on the board of directors at this non-profit about this, and see their reaction to your big concern here.
None of that happens to be true. But feel free to keep making up nonsense, since apparently for some reason it makes you feel better about yourself.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:08 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,510 times
Regarding my previous employers...

For security reasons, visitors were not allowed to wander around where the employees work at.

There needs to be a better set up.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
back to beginning:
"So a) what am I supposed to do about that..."
be polite.
overly polite.
empathetic, even.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:29 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Regarding my previous employers...

For security reasons, visitors were not allowed to wander around where the employees work at.

There needs to be a better set up.
he wasn't a visitor wandering around, he was a fellow employee. I work in a secure area and you can't get in without a badge so all visitors have to be accompanied. He knew where he was going, he went to the correct office for the person he was meeting with. However, because she wasn't in her office, that's when he decided to walk around and ask where she was.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
I think this is much ado about nothing, but if it’s really bugging you, I would talk to the employee who wasn’t at their desk and tell them that their absence was very disruptive for you. Because IMO that’s the person you should be mad at (if anybody), not the poor ******* who stuck his head in your door.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
None of that happens to be true. But feel free to keep making up nonsense, since apparently for some reason it makes you feel better about yourself.
It is all true, 100%, because what you typo speaks so loudly about yourself no one else in this thread can hear what you are saying.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I think this is much ado about nothing, but if it’s really bugging you, I would talk to the employee who wasn’t at their desk and tell them that their absence was very disruptive for you. Because IMO that’s the person you should be mad at (if anybody), not the poor ******* who stuck his head in your door.
No reason to be mad at anyone. You can't be at your desk 24/7, and it would be stupid to talk to them about it that you OP was mad. Just pouring more gas on a bad fire of an attitude here.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
I work on a medical campus in an office suite that has a mix of private offices and cubicle workstations. There is no reception area. As it happens, there are people from 4 different departments of this same employer, sharing this space. There is a sign at the front door of the suite that details who works here, but it's admittedly not the most obvious thing in the world that we are spread between so many different departments.

Someone just poked their head into my office to say that they were here for a meeting with a different person who happens to be in an office on the other side of the suite. I looked blankly at him, point him back across the office suite and said "that person's office is over there." He said oh, no one was over there.

So a) what am I supposed to do about that, and b) isn't it somewhat rude to interrupt a person working in a private office with the assumption that they can help you with what is essentially a receptionist question, never mind that I don't even work in the same department.

I'm in a private office which, as in most workplaces these days, are limited to people who are typically in a higher level position especially in a work area where some people are in cubicles but others aren't. Am I being elitist to think that someone should realize that people with private offices are not fair game to interrupt just because the person they came to see doesn't happen to be in their own office?
Yes. That or something worse.

Hopefully the person with the outrageous request for a little assistance prefaced that with something akin to "Excuse me," but even if that had not occurred a polite response would have been called for. I'm sure the stranger was hoping for something along the line of "Sally Jones usually has her meetings in Conference Room C, down the hall to the left" but would have been satisfied with "I'm sorry, I don't know but I could try to page her for you."

Instead they got an elitist attitude from someone who has proven they are not looking out for the smooth operation of the organization for which she is enough of a big shot to have her own private office and instead made things more difficult for at least two of her coworkers.

Last edited by kokonutty; 06-07-2019 at 11:20 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 03:54 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Am I being elitist to think that someone should realize that people with private offices are not fair game to interrupt just because the person they came to see doesn't happen to be in their own office?
Yes, yes you are.

Quote:

In any case, all the comments still have not changed my mind to believe that it's normal for people to wander around offices and ask random people the whereabouts of other people.

If your mind was already made up and you are unwilling to hear the other point of view; why would you even ask the question to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment