Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

I know I am a little grouchy over this new diet, but our newest employee is driving me nuts.

She was hired for 9-5. That’s it. It is the highest call volume time and when she is needed. Which she agreed to when hired. The first two weeks because of training, she worked 7 am-3 PM, so I could train her. Since then every day she either asks to work 7-3 or tells me how much better she likes it and how she hates 9-5.

I am tired of saying that she can’t begin making calls until 9 am, so there is not need for her from 7-9. Still every day she asks...Today she started texting me at 3:30 am asking if she could work the early shift.

Second, I bring my dog every day. He is a very calm old man that sleeps all day in my office. He only greets someone when they call him. Goes outside maybe once or twice a day. Is fine if a customer walks in and leaves the door open. Never barks.

On a Saturday, when only two of us were working, I allowed her to bring her dog as a trial. He was jack russell crazy needy all day. He pees on things, had to be watched constantly, needs to be walked many times throughout the day. He needs to be held and ends up on every employees lap through out the day. He barks when a customer walks in and she is in constant fear he will run out the door. We work on a very busy main road, so yes he is not safe here. I told her he was to big of a distraction and needy to be here on regular work days. So she asks another boss and owner of he could come. Neither knew how needy the dog was... now she brings the unruly dog and her production is decreased significantly.

Again I have explained this several times and she just does what she wants... ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Are you her boss? If yes, then do what you have to do. If no, then there's not much you can do until her boss does.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Are you her boss? If yes, then do what you have to do. If no, then there's not much you can do until her boss does.
I am her boss. I hate to fire her, because then we need to start training another one. I am tired of training people that we have to let go or they end up in prison.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:38 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
She doesn't do what she wants -- she does what you give her permission to do.

"Your hours are 9-5. If you can't work that, you can't work here."

"Your dog requires too much time and attention. Don't bring the dog to work again."

Old 06-17-2019, 08:15 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Time for a PIP. That will be a less subtle hint.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 AM

456 posts, read 348,796 times
If you're her boss, take action.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am her boss. I hate to fire her, because then we need to start training another one. I am tired of training people that we have to let go or they end up in prison.
You dont have to fire her. You just have to say "these are you hours, these are your duties & expectations, these are company policies ..." and you expect her to follow them.

If you're having a continuous problem, you might want to look at hiring practices.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
You gotta show her who's the boss

Otherwise repeat after me: " You're fired!"

Old 06-17-2019, 10:19 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I know I am a little grouchy over this new diet, but our newest employee is driving me nuts.

She was hired for 9-5. That’s it. It is the highest call volume time and when she is needed. Which she agreed to when hired. The first two weeks because of training, she worked 7 am-3 PM, so I could train her. Since then every day she either asks to work 7-3 or tells me how much better she likes it and how she hates 9-5.

I am tired of saying that she can’t begin making calls until 9 am, so there is not need for her from 7-9. Still every day she asks...Today she started texting me at 3:30 am asking if she could work the early shift.

Second, I bring my dog every day. He is a very calm old man that sleeps all day in my office. He only greets someone when they call him. Goes outside maybe once or twice a day. Is fine if a customer walks in and leaves the door open. Never barks.

On a Saturday, when only two of us were working, I allowed her to bring her dog as a trial. He was jack russell crazy needy all day. He pees on things, had to be watched constantly, needs to be walked many times throughout the day. He needs to be held and ends up on every employees lap through out the day. He barks when a customer walks in and she is in constant fear he will run out the door. We work on a very busy main road, so yes he is not safe here. I told her he was to big of a distraction and needy to be here on regular work days. So she asks another boss and owner of he could come. Neither knew how needy the dog was... now she brings the unruly dog and her production is decreased significantly.

Again I have explained this several times and she just does what she wants... ugh.
"No" is a complete sentence and requires no further elaboration.

Write her a memo, cc: Personnel File, and state her work hours, and that you expect her to work those hours 5 days/week, 50 weeks/year (or whatever).

In the written memo, ask her to reply with her confirmation that she understands this and ask her if she is committed to work her assigned hours.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM

210 posts, read 156,663 times
This is actually not meant to sound snarky, but, if you're looking for a suggestion that will magically turn her into a great employee, that isn't going to happen.

You've got more power to change this situation than most of us who have coworkers like this...you can be direct with her about your expectations, or you can let her go. You just need to decide which choice is preferable, and live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment