U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2019, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,292 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Reputation: 4547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
My condolences.

This is not humane.
They chose to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2019, 09:38 PM
 
689 posts, read 249,768 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicanons View Post
For the past three weeks I have been working 70 hour weeks. I am married and have a two year old, so it's been very difficult. Is this normal? They call it crunch time
Unless you make a six-figure salary, or you work for your own business/company, that's not normal at all. And there are many people who make lots of money don't work that many hours a week.

Working [for some body else] that many hours for a long time, you could break down physically or mentally sooner or later. And that's bad for your family, no matter how much money you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 05:47 AM
 
4,076 posts, read 2,938,996 times
Reputation: 7042
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I didn't say it was normal for everyone. I was responding to the part of his quote that said, "It's not sustainable for any job that requires critical thought and productivity goes into the toilet after a couple months of it."
Productivity goes down for doctors/nurses who work crazy long shifts as well. They are not super humans with the ability to work longer/harder than everyone else on the planet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1126866/
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/fu...thaff.23.4.202
https://oem.bmj.com/content/58/1/68
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 05:57 AM
 
4,076 posts, read 2,938,996 times
Reputation: 7042
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
They chose to do it.
Says who? Not every employer is up front and honest with people at the interview process when the topic of long hours comes up. I've held a few jobs in my career where it was stated up front that no late evenings would be required and....you guessed it......work dictated working into the evenings and even weekends from time to time. Doesn't seem like you have a firm grasp of the reality of the working world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,292 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Says who? Not every employer is up front and honest with people at the interview process when the topic of long hours comes up. I've held a few jobs in my career where it was stated up front that no late evenings would be required and....you guessed it......work dictated working into the evenings and even weekends from time to time. Doesn't seem like you have a firm grasp of the reality of the working world.
No, you are misunderstanding what I said. When I said they chose to do it, I was referring to the physicians who work long hours. They knew what they were getting into when they chose that profession. Of course, not all physicians choose to work long hours - they go into fields of medicine that don't require it.

When you own your own business, as my husband and I did, we didn't have the luxury of just working 40 hours per week. We knew that ahead of time and chose to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,292 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Productivity goes down for doctors/nurses who work crazy long shifts as well. They are not super humans with the ability to work longer/harder than everyone else on the planet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1126866/
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/fu...thaff.23.4.202
https://oem.bmj.com/content/58/1/68
I never said they were, just that they do work long hours and they remain productive. I've read your studies and more that are similar to them. I agree that after a point productivity and critical thinking skills are negatively affected, however I do know many physicians who work long hours and remain at the top of their game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 06:48 AM
 
1,677 posts, read 550,083 times
Reputation: 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Unless you make a six-figure salary, or you work for your own business/company, that's not normal at all. And there are many people who make lots of money don't work that many hours a week.

Working [for some body else] that many hours for a long time, you could break down physically or mentally sooner or later. And that's bad for your family, no matter how much money you make.
Even with a six figure salary it's not normal. I'm at that level, I was working 50-55 hour weeks for two months (due to people quitting). My boss pulled me aside and told me to slow down because he was worried about either me becoming resentful towards upper management, or that I would start to burn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 06:52 AM
 
320 posts, read 350,061 times
Reputation: 231
Considering how expendable most employees are to HR/employers, no, not at all. Even without that point, still no, not normal .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Reputation: 27635
It's certainly normal in certain careers or under conditions. Think of bringing a new product to market under a crunched time line. Tax teams during the first part of the year. Budget season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
9,572 posts, read 10,308,975 times
Reputation: 13365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Even with a six figure salary it's not normal. I'm at that level, I was working 50-55 hour weeks for two months (due to people quitting). My boss pulled me aside and told me to slow down because he was worried about either me becoming resentful towards upper management, or that I would start to burn out.
Same here.

I'm 6-figures. I've never gone more then 45hrs or worked a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top