Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times

Advertisements

here are some of the classes-

plant science
soil science
pest mgmt
community gardening
plant selection
irrig design
water features
landscape design
maintence and equip.
land construction
arboriculture
native plants

Im sure there is some other job you can get besides the labor of landscaping,what else is there,Im not sure if this course is a degree or a certificate, but Im curious,I am really interested in landscape designing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:42 AM

52 posts, read 223,218 times
You could be a landscape architect. I'm not sure if you would just be a consultant or if you could get on with a firm of some sort. But there are plenty of people out there who will pay someone to design their landscaping. I'm also sure that this could be done commercially, like in business parks, shopping centers, neighborhoods, etc...

Good Luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Personally I would try to start my own landscaping business if I had that certificate. It really is the fact that you know your business that counts.I know a guy that does that and has crews that mow;trim and fertlilize you name it. He makes like over a 125,000 a year. He is however a real hustler and does top nock work and keeps his customers very satisfied. Basically the people he serves are pretty well off or it is a number of homes in a new addition being built.Might have to satr with someone else but once you know the ropes and get to know suppliers etc ;its up to you.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
You can get a job with a local, state or national park district. The Federal National Park Service would probably be the best in terms of pay and benefits but the drawback is that they can assign you anywhere in the USA- which could mean Wyoming in the winter! Local and state parks are good too and you can stay close to home.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbags View Post
You could be a landscape architect. I'm not sure if you would just be a consultant or if you could get on with a firm of some sort. But there are plenty of people out there who will pay someone to design their landscaping. I'm also sure that this could be done commercially, like in business parks, shopping centers, neighborhoods, etc...

Good Luck!

You can not be a Landscape Architect with having only taken the classes the OP lists. You might have a tough time even getting a job as a designer with no experience.

What you can definitely do if get a job with a landscaping company doing Foreman type crew work. This would be great experience for you and enjoyable if you like work like that. I have an undergrad degree in Horticulture and took many of the classes you listed.

Once you get experience in the field there will be more opportunities for you.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
You'd do well in 'closed' communities that require homeowners to follow certain bylaws and so forth.

They LOVE when you get a 'professional' to do your lawn or handle landscaping or tree care. If you are 'certified' target yourself toward these sort of places. There's the snob appeal of getting the 'certified' guy over 'Jimmy' and his Chainsaw --I see it all the time where I work (for 'exclusive' place).

They want a guy with a degree and credentials to do the work because he 'supposedly' knows more than 'average guys.'

Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You'd do well in 'closed' communities that require homeowners to follow certain bylaws and so forth.

They LOVE when you get a 'professional' to do your lawn or handle landscaping or tree care. If you are 'certified' target yourself toward these sort of places. There's the snob appeal of getting the 'certified' guy over 'Jimmy' and his Chainsaw --I see it all the time where I work (for 'exclusive' place).

They want a guy with a degree and credentials to do the work because he 'supposedly' knows more than 'average guys.'
That's funny b/c I believe the opposite to be true. Homeowners want to nickle and dime and just get everything done the cheapest way possible. The thought of paying a "professional" to do yard work is ridiculous to them. So they choose to pay someone with no education or little education and just accept the crappy job they do. Heaven forbid they fork out the extra doe to pay someone who has taken the time to earn a degree and is trying to run a legitimate business.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Well, in places that require 'buy ins' and 'country club' living people tend to like to 'impress' their neighbors (so I have seen since I've been here). They love buzz words up here in Vermont like 'certified arborists' and 'caring about trees.' I believe in preserving nature as well but some take it to 'status levels.'

Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM

The problem with landscaping is the average client doesn't know anything about it and there is a stigma that you don't need an education to perform certain landscaping duties. Gardening is not the American past time as it is in some other countries.

So you have educated people competing with uneducated people.You have legitimate businesses competing with illegal businesses and illegal immigrants.

Even if a client wants to brag and say they hired a "tree Arborist", more than likely they are not going to understand what a true tree Arborst is really worth, and they will probably ***** when they get their bill, and then won't recommend or use them again.

Landscaping is a tough market.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
see the thing is anyone can get hired on to do labor for a landscaping company but mostly mexicans here cause they will work cheaper but anyways I dont want to get paid 8 dollars an hour and start off doing labor when I can just apply for one of these companys and learn the ropes there without any schooling.

I really like to do landscaping,all aspects of it but I cant live on $8 dollars an hour.

what do yall think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment