Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 05:24 AM

266 posts, read 245,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I can tell within the first week of new hires who is going and who is staying.
Anyone can slap down a good resume and first impression. But proof is in the workday.

Many older people that re-enter the workforce I find move way too slow in body and training or learning. I hate to fire people like that. But business is business.
A lot of truth to some of this. You can generally tell if a new hire will make it from the very first day. Did they bring all of the new hire paperwork, proper ID, show up on time, are they struggling on the computer.

If someone hasn't kept up their skills or misrepresented during the interview process, you can be sure it will be uncovered quickly.

A good example is someone could have worked in a medical office for decades but if they moved to an office with the latest and greatest software and high patient volume, they are probably going to struggle.

Listen, I'm in the over 50 category so before you call out ageism, the world is a different place. I have an excellent work ethic but I don't have some of the skills a younger person would have. I have 2 coworkers that have Excel skills that leave me feeling quite inadequate.

Lastly, most employers will give any new hire time to ramp up and learn the ropes, but if there is an inkling of a bad attitude and/or not a good fit with the existing staff, you can be sure an exit is imminent! I'm not saying that was the case for your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 06:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,984 times
I agree with the replies who said it's unfair because it was only after 4 days.

If she doesn't want to complain, then keep applying and hope to get a job in which people act like humans, not cold robots.

My co-worker is the slowest person on Earth and he is mediocre to bad at the job, but we didn't fire him because we have some human compassion here. Good thing he's quitting on his own.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:08 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,779,866 times
In the first 4 days, she might have said something to a snitch, who reported her to management.
Any of these are possibilities:
  • - political views different than theirs
  • - views on employee-employer relationships. For example another friend sued the employer and she was supportive of it.
  • - "I will not work until late nights, i have better things to do".
  • - "That guy is weird, I would not X with him", while the purpose of the company is to be the hunting ground for that guy.
  • - "They can't even turn on the air conditioning in this building, they have to save that much?".
  • - "why is that person never working", turns out to be the daughter of the VP.
All these cases indicate a bad toxic company.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
OP's friend is likely retired after all this time and enjoying endless bread-sticks at a Volusia County Olive Garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

I think EVERYONE should be given at least 2 WEEKS on the job to see how it's going to work.
not surgeons, air traffic controllers or lumberjacks...

Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
OP's friend is likely retired after all this time and enjoying endless bread-sticks at a Volusia County Olive Garden.

not surgeons, air traffic controllers or lumberjacks...
Well, true. NOT if they OR others' lives depend on it.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

I think EVERYONE should be given at least 2 WEEKS on the job to see how it's going to work.
Well, I have worked jobs where a fight started before the workers even started. I have worked jobs where the newcomer said "If you got a beef with me, we'll settle it with pistols" and other fun people. Give them 2 weeks? I wouldn't risk the next 60 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment