Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:05 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on that? She is older (early 50s) and was in training for about 4 days (medical field) and was fired for working too slow...lol...she has 15 years prior experience in the medical field and was in complete shock when she informed me on this...I am too...what should she do? File a grievance?

My friend is not a drug addict or a drinker, has no criminal background, and is very serious about showing up on time and doing job well....I'm just so confused and sad for my friend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:24 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
What's your point?

A "friend" got hired by a company, went through their training, and then didn't meet the on the job performance expectations of the employer? So what? It's certainly not grounds for a "grievance" ....

Better to be let go early on in the employment when it's apparent to the employer that it's "not a good fit" than to drag out the process to a point where it's more difficult for everyone. I've hired ... and fired ... employees that had a great reference from other businesses where their skills and attitude fit well into the needs of the business, but didn't work out in mine ... some not even through the first half day on the job; some I let go, some recognized they didn't fit in with my operations and packed up and left of their own free will.

What should your friend do? start looking for the next employment opportunity for which she is qualified. Nobody owes her a job.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:43 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,532 times
I don't see how anyone could make an assessment in four days whether someone was too slow for the job or not. If they did, I think they were a bit hasty in making that judgment. I would bet the farm, if I owned one, it is for another reason. Unfortunately, there is probably nothing she can do about it, but I would file for unemployment.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM

It didn't make sense at all because she was going through training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I don't see how anyone could make an assessment in four days whether someone was too slow for the job or not. If they did, I think they were a bit hasty in making that judgment. I would bet the farm, if I owned one, it is for another reason. Unfortunately, there is probably nothing she can do about it, but I would file for unemployment.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:47 PM

wow. ur comment is rude, hurtful, and negative. I will be placing you on ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
What's your point?

A "friend" got hired by a company, went through their training, and then didn't meet the on the job performance expectations of the employer? So what? It's certainly not grounds for a "grievance" ....

Better to be let go early on in the employment when it's apparent to the employer that it's "not a good fit" than to drag out the process to a point where it's more difficult for everyone. I've hired ... and fired ... employees that had a great reference from other businesses where their skills and attitude fit well into the needs of the business, but didn't work out in mine ... some not even through the first half day on the job; some I let go, some recognized they didn't fit in with my operations and packed up and left of their own free will.

What should your friend do? start looking for the next employment opportunity for which she is qualified. Nobody owes her a job.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It didn't make sense at all because she was going through training.
Yeah, that's why I said I bet it's another reason. Makes no sense at all.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:57 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,678 times
It sounds like a pretty hasty decision but many companies use the training period as the time to make their decision about whether you will be a fit. It usually allows them to by-pass the normal performance warning processes that are in place. While it's hurtful now, it's good to find out early. Your friend would have been miserable as the pressure increased and she started getting written reprimands to support a future firing. In terms of a grievance, she doesn't have one. I'm sure the employee handbook or even the offer letter she received reminded her that employment is "at will" which means she can be terminated at anytime.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:01 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What are your thoughts on that? She is older (early 50s) and was in training for about 4 days (medical field) and was fired for working too slow...lol...she has 15 years prior experience in the medical field and was in complete shock when she informed me on this...I am too...what should she do? File a grievance?

My friend is not a drug addict or a drinker, has no criminal background, and is very serious about showing up on time and doing job well....I'm just so confused and sad for my friend...

Who the H...L hired her then? Don't they check things like that before they hire somebody. ?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 PM

excuse me? What are you getting at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Who the H...L hired her then? Don't they check things like that before they hire somebody. ?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Hey, I feel badly about what happened but, in cyberspace, we may not get all the facts we need. Sometimes, it's a poor fit, at least from the employER's perspective, and they wanted to cut their loss. It could be a problem in that the employER is a jerk or that she just did not work out well for that particular environment. Given that it was 4 days, I think she should just move on and look for a job that's a good fit for both parties. If it was 4 months or 4 years, the shock, and possible impact in looking for a job, could be more pronounced. I know that things are tougher these days, but the medical field seems to keep on growing, in spite of economic cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment