Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
My question is, if you delete your internet cookies, files and history, can companies still track that crap regardless?
Absolutely.

When you're sitting at work, and you type in an address in your browser - that request is sent out across your work's network, and most likely goes through one or more devices (firewall, proxy server, web filter, DLP Device etc). At any point, those devices can log your request. Or, a monitor can just be looking at all traffic going across the network - a software is then used to correlate that information in a more managable manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,498 times
Our boss installed SurveilStar employee monitoring software to monitor all our PC and web activities. Our IT manager said our boss can know anything I did on PC and Internet, like visited websites, IM Chats, opened documents and there is a real-time screen monitoring. So now I work harder and harder and say goodbye to twitter. I swear I didn't abuse the internet, I post no more than 20 words on my twitter...

Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,498 times
Do you guys think key logger is legal? It records my password...

Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
If you're using a company computer to access the sites...

I don't go online at work...I can't do so, in fact. We're only linked to a company intranet at my main job. I could do so at the tax job, but I have no reason to. I'm there to work, and if there is absolutely no work to do, I can review tax courses provided us by the company.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeevviinn View Post
Our boss installed SurveilStar employee monitoring software to monitor all our PC and web activities. Our IT manager said our boss can know anything I did on PC and Internet, like visited websites, IM Chats, opened documents and there is a real-time screen monitoring. So now I work harder and harder and say goodbye to twitter. I swear I didn't abuse the internet, I post no more than 20 words on my twitter...
He also knows that you re-opened a 2 year old thread on City-Data. Just sayin'.

BTW, if you're company has a written policy then he has to follow that. If not, he can record any & all data. The computer belongs to him, the network belongs to him, the internet connection is paid for by him. He doesn't care about your passwords. He might care that you were on City-Data or Facebook or Twitter for 2 hours between 10am-12pm and 2pm-5pm, if you know what I mean. If you weren't abusing your internet priviledges then you have nothing to worry about. If you're here, then I suspect you might be posting more than 20 words on twitter......

Here is a little something about workplace privacy rights. I am sure there are many other web pages that might be specific to your state.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Because if I am paid to do XYZ and XYZ is done, why am I obligated to take on other tasks? If I do exactly what my job responsibilities define, then how is it wrong?

If you want to look at it from the opposite point of you, think of this....You say that people playing on the internet are "stealing" company time. Well if your job is complete and they request you to do someone else's job, then technically aren't they getting more than they paid for? I am in a situation where my department is short staffed. I am now having to make up the amount of work for the 3 other people that we should have. I am promised that help will be on the way but it isn't. Am I getting compensated extra for it? No way. It's cutting into my personal life and it will have to stop soon. Because I busted my tail and worked harder, I got punished with additional work and higher expectations. Technically, I could have dragged around and not let anyone know I was finished with my tasks early, but I don't play the "look busy" game. Now I am paying for it.

Am I moving up in the ranks? Nope. Just more of this back-stabbing corporate America. Boy was I painted a different picture in college of how things work. Corporate America is just adult kindergarten. I see many blue collar workers that go to work and come home happy. They don't deal with office politics.

It would be different if you were respected, rewarded well, etc. Today's society acts like it's expected that if you do your job, you're supposed to do more and get nothing in return. I would gladly bust my tail if I could reap the rewards. I would love to work in a family business because I would respect the people I worked for and would enjoy building a successful company and sharing in the rewards if it prospers. Why do you think so many Americans are unhappy at work. Are all American's lazy? No, they're just tired of being treated like 5 year olds. If you have to monitor someone that closely, get rid of them. We're adults. Do your job and go home. People need to grow up.

At this point, I've realized that walking around in the ivory tower with a BlackBerry, deadlines, etc. is just all about clout. I used to think that was cool, but I've learned there is more to life than work. I know there are plenty that live to work and burn the midnight oil on a regular basis, but what kind of quality of life do you have? How many of you that are workaholics have family problems...or even ended up divorced because of not spending more time at home? OR maybe you spend spend spend to have the good life, now you're forced to be a corporate slave to finance your luxurious lifestyle because you didn't plan ahead or learn to budget money. I mean, if you want that-good for you-go for it.

If I am going to work 12-14 hour days, I will own my own business. At least I'll reap what I sow. Until you own your own business, you'll never make the kind of money you should working for someone else. I say learn a skill, develop it, and go out on your own because nobody else is going to care about you---you have to take care of yourself. Why sell your soul away to "office space" life. Then you're 60 years old and look back and say "what the hell happened to my life---kids are grown and I missed out because I worked so much". No thanks.

Face it, corporate America abuses employees. It's not about playing on the internet or doing stupid little things. Don't try to find success at a company, find it within yourself and do something that will make you happy. You don't have to put up with the micromanaging tactics. Life is too short--enjoy it; don't throw it away at the office.
Excellent post

If companies are really don't want their staff to abuse to internet - then time limit their internet access to 10 mins a day or something, or remove internet access completely. Personally I only use the internet at 15 mins a day for checking news, and fairly bland generic websites that create no suspicions, and if want to look at my favorite forums - I use my smart phone.

I sometimes wonder do corporate companies want to give their employee access to the internet - its a window in their mind, to find out their likes, dislikes, to have more information to use against them, or as a hidden loyalty test to see if there really interested in their job, or indeed as evidence to fire you should the need arise. Companies say they only check for abuse of the internet for their staff - But I feel many managers use as a as a secret intelligence gathering tool on their staff, and may well spend hours trawling through every website you visit, your emails, your messenger chats - perhaps even to access your competance - they may well use it to put together a bigger picture of what is happening in a department - as alone you can only have so much information, but with access to everyones information they have an birds eye view.

Your point above about completing your job - and then employers expecting you to run around and do other people jobs - this is so typical - they won't pay you extra - and when your running around doing others people work your more likely to make mistakes, not know what your doing - and at the end of the day not get promoted - when your being reviewed for your job they focus on the job your paid to do and how well the believe you have done - being a "nice guy" and running around trying to be helpful, bend over backwards to sort out problems and issues.

Technically you should be able to say to your employer, these duties fall outside my job specification, therefore I want to be paid overtime, or have some recognition - but that might get you fired!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 AM

890 posts, read 2,786,011 times
A simple fix is to block all social, video, streaming, games, and blogs.

Then there's 3 open computers at the lunch room with access to those during lunch hours.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:10 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
A simple fix is to block all social, video, streaming, games, and blogs.

Then there's 3 open computers at the lunch room with access to those during lunch hours.
Buzzkillllllllll

Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeevviinn View Post
Do you guys think key logger is legal? It records my password...
If its on a computer owned by the company, then yes...it is perfectly legal.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:57 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
In this day and age, it's pointless to block 100% all internet access. I can just take out my phone and surf and no one will know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment