Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 AM

799 posts, read 2,169,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Amen, brutha.
We know what the past was, so we can compare. $8 is babysitting money and isn't meant to be a livable wage income.

Suddenly, everyone is blathering about how people should go work at Walmart. Those jobs are for second income earners, those with supplemental incomes (retirees), or high school students.

And for those advocating everyone go back to college, so many have college degrees now...unless there are jobs, all the degrees, MBAs etc., won't get anyone anywhere.

Write to your legislators. Keep writing.

No one is protecting American jobs, but they sure rant on and on about how the "free global trade" has to be protected. Well...it's not free, and it's not fair. We Americans, whether white or blue collar cannot compete with near slave wages anymore.

This is spiraling down, folks, and people need to wake up, because who won on Dancing with the Stars or American Idle, or what Paula Deen did with a giant butter stick isn't going to matter anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Write to your legislators. Keep writing.
And just what do you expect your legislators to do? Determine wages?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
No one can really live on $8.00 an hour. Survive maybe, but live no.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,029 times
I don't think it's THAT difficult to find a job that earns $15 an hour but I definitely think it depends on the type of job you're applying for, your experience and also the region you're in. I don't have a degree just a HS diploma and years of experience in Customer Service and as an Admin/Executive Assistant. I was making about $19 an hour at my last job (after several years there, mind you) and I know that type of salary will be extremely hard to find, plus there is a lot of competition.

I'm still inclined to agree though, you'd be surprised at the job posts I see demanding all these qualifications and then the salary is like $10 an hour - seems kind of absurd to me.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello_Vivi View Post
I don't think it's THAT difficult to find a job that earns $15 an hour but I definitely think it depends on the type of job you're applying for, your experience and also the region you're in. I don't have a degree just a HS diploma and years of experience in Customer Service and as an Admin/Executive Assistant. I was making about $19 an hour at my last job (after several years there, mind you) and I know that type of salary will be extremely hard to find, plus there is a lot of competition.

I'm still inclined to agree though, you'd be surprised at the job posts I see demanding all these qualifications and then the salary is like $10 an hour - seems kind of absurd to me.
And the reason for that, it's an employers' market out there and NOT an employee's'. Like it or not, the employers think they can get a purple squirrel who don't need training and pay them low wages. Sadly because people actually need a job, they have to take these jobs.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:14 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,589,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And the reason for that, it's an employers' market out there and NOT an employee's'. Like it or not, the employers think they can get a purple squirrel who don't need training and pay them low wages. Sadly because people actually need a job, they have to take these jobs.
When the economy sucks like this one (thanks obozo), there are more workers then jobs. Wages will be stagnate till the economy improves. Back when we had great economies (Reagan, Clinton and Bush), Business were fighting for workers. Wages and Benefits only went up!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:21 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I wouldn't totally say that. There's places I know of where they are always hiring. Some jobs frankly can be thankless and thus there's openings. At any point there's usually 90-100 police officer openings in the country. Some policing today is easier but in some respects it can be much harder.

I would argue it is more about being able to move. If a company can move that is one thing but governments cannot move. People can easily move with the advent of smart phones, wifi, ride sharing and low cost airlines. Sure of course if you are married and have kids it is harder but it's not like it was a generation or so ago when everything was linked to a physical mailing address and a land line telephone.

If less people live in an area chances are they'll recognize that and try to attract more employees or raise the pay. If it's a city well there's plenty of people.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:25 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,435 times
[quote=mdovell;35510615]I wouldn't totally say that. There's places I know of where they are always hiring. Some jobs frankly can be thankless and thus there's openings. At any point there's usually 90-100 police officer openings in the country. Some policing today is easier but in some respects it can be much harder.

I would argue it is more about being able to move. If a company can move that is one thing but governments cannot move. People can easily move with the advent of smart phones, wifi, ride sharing and low cost airlines. Sure of course if you are married and have kids it is harder but it's not like it was a generation or so ago when everything was linked to a physical mailing address and a land line telephone.

If less people live in an area chances are they'll recognize that and try to attract more employees or raise the pay. If it's a city well there's plenty of people.[/QUOT

Right now Chrysler corp. was hirieing last week starting wage for line worker $15.78 because of the new contract with the UAW. My friend who just retired from Chrysler and his son works at a stamping plant in Michigan and is under the old UAW contract is making over $28 an hour plus his bennifits and he is just a high school grad. He is working 7 days a week. This is what working for a big company and union will get you. Check out Chrysler careers on there web site. My friends son that they were hirieing a couple weeks ago.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I wouldn't totally say that. There's places I know of where they are always hiring. Some jobs frankly can be thankless and thus there's openings. At any point there's usually 90-100 police officer openings in the country. Some policing today is easier but in some respects it can be much harder.
That's part of the problem. Police work is thankless. Many people call them pigs and are very anti-cop. Just look at threads that came about when the L.A. cop killer from last February. There were numerous people who said the cops deserved it. Another thing is similar to the military, standards are much higher as there is physical demands, mental demands and psychological demands. That and budgets (local and national) have decreased the need for jobs. I am not trying to complain about the demands, most are reasonable compared to other demands.

Quote:

If less people live in an area chances are they'll recognize that and try to attract more employees or raise the pay. If it's a city well there's plenty of people.
People can move iff they have the means to move. I'm sorry but unless I have a family member of friend who I can live with, there's no way most people can move where jobs are. Not trying to spout excuses but people think it's fairly easy to move.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:58 PM

390 posts, read 824,787 times
$15 per hour starting pay is very low for any sort of skilled labor, unless you're in a small town or something. I started off at $20/hr at my first professional job doing web development, and that was before I even had a degree and only about a year of freelancing experience. Within a year, the pay went up to $30/hr (still didn't have any degree then). People working front desk at hotels practically make $15/hr. I'd only take that pay if you couldn't find anything else, or if you were getting your foot in the door into a certain industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment