Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:14 AM

222 posts, read 779,614 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,
I am just curious where is the fine line...Let's say there is a position that is kind of interesting to you, but not exactly what you'd like to do. Or there is a position that you like but they will not give you the same title
(you had on your former job). Will you accept either? Dow it make sense to look for at lest 6 month to see if smth more suitable will come around??

Does it make sense to accept smth that you kind of like but not exactly what you'd like todo in the long run? Then, when the market is back, try to come back to "dream" job..

Just curiuoswhat you people think about that..

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
you could be right.
i dont dream about jobs never did except maybe dreams of failure, my greatest fear.
every morning on the sahara when the sun comes up the slowest antalope has got to outrun the fastest lion, been like that for me the whole time. never thought much about strategy. just lots of running and jumping.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you could be right.
i dont dream about jobs never did except maybe dreams of failure, my greatest fear.
every morning on the sahara when the sun comes up the slowest antalope has got to outrun the fastest lion, been like that for me the whole time. never thought much about strategy. just lots of running and jumping.
well the thing is in certain fields, if you are "out" regardless of reason (even bad market), you will never be able to come back..

Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Tulpan, I guess I'd look at the opportunity for growth in the position that's kind of interesting. Is it something that will help you or give you experience toward the job that you really want? As for giving you the job that you want, but not the title. A title is just that. My last job would be considered Manager, Director or VP, depending on the type of company. I'm long past caring about the title so long as that challenge and total compensation are there.

That said, I'm not desperate. The only thing that is driving me to find something sooner, rather than later, is my sanity.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Tulpan, I guess I'd look at the opportunity for growth in the position that's kind of interesting. Is it something that will help you or give you experience toward the job that you really want? As for giving you the job that you want, but not the title. A title is just that. My last job would be considered Manager, Director or VP, depending on the type of company. I'm long past caring about the title so long as that challenge and total compensation are there.

That said, I'm not desperate. The only thing that is driving me to find something sooner, rather than later, is my sanity.
I guess I agree about the title and challenge..
Unfortunately, my field is not hiring now and who know when will start. Another position will not bring me closer to "dream" job or current-former job..it is just different position. I am not sure if I need to sit and wait until the market will turn out or take that" non-dream" job where I can actually learn smth new... who knows when things will get better. but bills are coming every months anaway...

Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Hello everybody,
I am just curious where is the fine line...Let's say there is a position that is kind of interesting to you, but not exactly what you'd like to do. Or there is a position that you like but they will not give you the same title
(you had on your former job). Will you accept either? Dow it make sense to look for at lest 6 month to see if smth more suitable will come around??

Does it make sense to accept smth that you kind of like but not exactly what you'd like todo in the long run? Then, when the market is back, try to come back to "dream" job..

Just curiuoswhat you people think about that..

Thank you
If the work I'm hoping for does not come through soon after the first of the year, I'll take a flying leap and find something else.

I've already been applying for jobs that sound interesting but are not exactly in my field. Right now, there are so many people in my industry who are out of work, that there's a lot of competition, even in allied fields. I just don't see things improving for awhile.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
If the work I'm hoping for does not come through soon after the first of the year, I'll take a flying leap and find something else.

I've already been applying for jobs that sound interesting but are not exactly in my field. Right now, there are so many people in my industry who are out of work, that there's a lot of competition, even in allied fields. I just don't see things improving for awhile.
Yeah. I am on the same page...Just not sure how easy it will be to come back to my "field" after haveing on resume smth kind of totally different...

Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
I have a family so if it means I would have to work at a fast food place, as long as it was paying the bills pride takes a backseat. With the job market the way it is my wife and I have been talking and are leaning to going back into the military. Steady paycheck, very cheap insurance, sure there are drawbacks but I know my family is being taken care of and to me thats what it is all about.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I have a family so if it means I would have to work at a fast food place, as long as it was paying the bills pride takes a backseat. With the job market the way it is my wife and I have been talking and are leaning to going back into the military. Steady paycheck, very cheap insurance, sure there are drawbacks but I know my family is being taken care of and to me thats what it is all about.
Believe or not but I have been thinking to go to medical school or become a teacher..well at the same time, we had some good time on Wall Street..Now it is bad time..well, good time will come again..
Agree about bills...mortgage and two kids bring a lot of expenses

Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
I work for a living, I dont live to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment