Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 PM

702 posts, read 2,297,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
OP---Sorry, you won't get any sympathy from me, or many other unemployed people. If your job was so tough, well, someone else is suffering right now in your former position. Only difference is, he/she has an income, you don't!

In this economy any job is better than no job, so now that you've ditched your job in favor of your "feelings" how does it feel to be unemployed?
Wow, totally lame. And usually I'm the one who is slammed for nasty comments.

In my time, I've had a fair amount of jobs that made me so miserable I just stopped going. And that was the best thing, regardless of any "economic crisis" or whatever. Once I quit a well-paying job without notice when I was seriously in debt and had no savings. Couldn't stand one more day. Guess what happened one week later? Found a new job that was wonderful and paid slightly more.

Someone unemployed who truly desires to work and be useful WILL get back into the swing of things soon enough. I have, many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,000 times
Perhaps this job was just not right for Movin' On, yet someone else may find it to be the answer to their prayers right now.

Maybe by you leaving, Movin' On, the powers that be have decided the job is horrible or too much for a person and modified the duties...who knows. By you leaving, it has opened up a job for someone else who HAS to work because her kid is ill, or she's down to her last few dollars, or is just fed up having no one who will give him/her a chance...who knows?

What does matter is when one door closes, another will open. I have been unemploymed since the end of August, beating myself up but I know I have tried to find a job as hard as I can, and I personally feel I have exhausted all the options in this area. I HAD to leave my job because they lied to me and I could not stay anymore.

I also get reminded "I chose to leave."

What can I do but get up every day and say (even when I am fed up) this could be my day...

Meanwhile, I have to say I LOVE coming into contact with people who have spent their lives 'any job' rather than take a risk...they are so happy go lucky, often so cheerful and never scowl or use drugs or alcohol to dull the pain of 'existing' because it's 'safer.'

Note heavy sarcasm.

I saw my mom do a job for years because it was 'easier' than trying to find anything else. She was worn out but no one encouraged her. My father felt it was close to home and she could do no better. She came home from a factory beaten down every day. Often she would be in bed by 8 am...up again by 5:30 am. That sort of work year after year saps your will to live. You just spend your days dreaming of sleeping a few hours till it starts over again.
What a waste.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 AM

36,448 posts, read 16,055,816 times
Movin, I too am unemployed as you know. I got fired from a job I should have quit months ago, opposite of your situation. Dec 2nd was my last day and I go from being excited maybe a lead or something to depression, no call back. My employer is trying to block my employment benefits so I have no income until after the hearing, which I will win but...I'm running out of money.

Health issues for me have been attributed to stress, maybe I'm a wimp. I start thinking it's me, not them and then I have to look at the job situations I have had in this state and the employers and found commonality in them so I will try to avoid that in the future.

I must remember, there is something out there for me!!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,458,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
OP---Sorry, you won't get any sympathy from me, or many other unemployed people. If your job was so tough, well, someone else is suffering right now in your former position. Only difference is, he/she has an income, you don't!

In this economy any job is better than no job, so now that you've ditched your job in favor of your "feelings" how does it feel to be unemployed?
It "feels" like I am going to keep my health. That's how it "feels."

Thanks for your kind post.

Oh, and I guess your husband who is unemployed DOES get your sympathy. Sheesh.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...rk-census.html

Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Movin, I too am unemployed as you know. I got fired from a job I should have quit months ago, opposite of your situation. Dec 2nd was my last day and I go from being excited maybe a lead or something to depression, no call back. My employer is trying to block my employment benefits so I have no income until after the hearing, which I will win but...I'm running out of money.

Health issues for me have been attributed to stress, maybe I'm a wimp. I start thinking it's me, not them and then I have to look at the job situations I have had in this state and the employers and found commonality in them so I will try to avoid that in the future.

I must remember, there is something out there for me!!
You are NOT a wimp. Health issues are health issues and must be tended to and this takes priority over a job, whatever the cause.

At any rate, the positive is that you will get unemployment, right? It is rather unfortunate that your employer is being creepy about it though. Guess it's no surprise. Good luck and keep on looking. Things can't stay this way (or get worse) forever!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Perhaps this job was just not right for Movin' On, yet someone else may find it to be the answer to their prayers right now.

Maybe by you leaving, Movin' On, the powers that be have decided the job is horrible or too much for a person and modified the duties...who knows. By you leaving, it has opened up a job for someone else who HAS to work because her kid is ill, or she's down to her last few dollars, or is just fed up having no one who will give him/her a chance...who knows?
Good way to look at it. However, this company can't keep people. In my exit interview I was told the reason for my leaving wasn't new information and that it was going to be compiled. The HR person told me that if the policy changes then maybe I can come back - so it's not like they wanted to lose one more person. This company hires, trains, people leave, rinse and repeat. Not a sign of a good place to work for.

Quote:
What does matter is when one door closes, another will open. I have been unemploymed since the end of August, beating myself up but I know I have tried to find a job as hard as I can, and I personally feel I have exhausted all the options in this area. I HAD to leave my job because they lied to me and I could not stay anymore.

I also get reminded "I chose to leave."

What can I do but get up every day and say (even when I am fed up) this could be my day...

Meanwhile, I have to say I LOVE coming into contact with people who have spent their lives 'any job' rather than take a risk...they are so happy go lucky, often so cheerful and never scowl or use drugs or alcohol to dull the pain of 'existing' because it's 'safer.'

Note heavy sarcasm.
That is what makes it tough is when you feel like you've exhausted all options. I know you don't like it where you are and that makes things doubly hard. I am in the same boat. I moved here in 2003 and should have realized the mistake I made, but I kept telling myself I wasn't trying hard enough. Now not only am I in a place I don't want to be, but I'm unemployed in the place I don't want to be. However, things do have a way of working out and maybe this will force me to leave this town. Who knows? And I also know it cannot be easy to continually be reminded you "chose to leave." Some jobs just have to be left.

Quote:
I saw my mom do a job for years because it was 'easier' than trying to find anything else. She was worn out but no one encouraged her. My father felt it was close to home and she could do no better. She came home from a factory beaten down every day. Often she would be in bed by 8 am...up again by 5:30 am. That sort of work year after year saps your will to live. You just spend your days dreaming of sleeping a few hours till it starts over again.
What a waste.
Yeah, that is sad. Jobs like that will wear a person down. I was told I looked drained on a Monday afternoon. That is NOT a good sign. Did your Mom stay at that job?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
This is my first week of unemployment. Yeah, I quit my job but the writing was on the wall - either work nights and weekends for free under stress constantly or put my health before a job and quit (before I most surely would have been fired for just burning out and not doing the job).

Anyway, I have not reacted well to this being unemployed. I was happy about the Inauguration on Tuesday, but reality has set in. I can't afford to be depressed (the kind where you can't get out of bed and don't function) yet I know I am NOT alone in my feelings.

So...what do you do to force yourself to keep applying for jobs and try to remain optimistic - when you'd rather just crawl in bed?

Creating more resumes
Applying to more jobs
informing more people of my situation who may have job connects
having a hobby/escape
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment