Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times

Advertisements

Wait, I thought Texas was good for jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:33 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I guess because I see people foreclosed on every day. It hasn't happened yet, but when the Sherrif's department arrives with a warrant telling me to get out I think that if I refused I would probably be arrested.

It's my opinion that the banks have been paid for most of our homes by the massive stimulus plan, yet they want more. I grapple with this daily though because my parents raised me to pay my bills, and always on time. But it's hard to reconcile my feelings when I see the banks getting bailed out yet they offer nothing in return.
Arrested and given a jail cell and meals=Win. After that I'd tell the judge what you think of the system in court.

It's true, I see alot of people here with some compassion, one even offering you a place to stay. Banks and Wall St. have none. It's said that the top 1% of the "money makers" have 90% of the wealth now. Is that retarded or what?
I am the same way, pay my bills on time, drive an old car I own instead of make payments, etc, but all a losing battle when everything is just "gimme gimme gimme".
Just this year alone our health insurance went up 15%, co-pay increased, and deductable increased. Power bill increased 10%....
I wish I could command 10-15% more pay...
Oh well..every paycheck..while I have one...buys a couple boxes of ammo, some canned food, bag of rice...

Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 PM

52 posts, read 196,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Dumb down your resume. Don't put down what you were earning before. Maybe that will help. I can see where you just want to give up though. It must feel sort of empowering to just give the finger to the world and walk away. But do sell the stuff before you go. Have as much cash as you can.
I'm really sorry things are so bad for you. I'd give you a hug if I could.
I absolutely HAD to do this very same thing once when I could not find work. I literally left off my college degree and left only the high school. In my mind, if the degree is not relevant to the position, it doesn't need to be on the resume especially if you know the position isn't going to pay much. I took my resume to an employment agency and got a job the same day. I don't think it would be as easy today because even the agencies just are not hiring much either.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng2 View Post
I absolutely HAD to do this very same thing once when I could not find work. I literally left off my college degree and left only the high school. In my mind, if the degree is not relevant to the position, it doesn't need to be on the resume especially if you know the position isn't going to pay much. I took my resume to an employment agency and got a job the same day. I don't think it would be as easy today because even the agencies just are not hiring much either.
congrats! And what state do you live?
Unemployment is sky rocket in flight in Oregon. And I kid you not that I've seen jobs at fast food places and video stores which require a Bachelors degree
Ditto for most any job here. CrAzY man.........

Old 08-03-2009, 03:20 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
Synopsis:

I really empathize with your situation. I too was an independent contractor therefore not eligible for UI benefits which is RIDUCULOUS...my commissions are taxed HIGHER and I am still not eligible. Hubby and I have filed for BK and we are just surviving at this point. I have never been without and job! Right not I am underemployed....as you are...so far since March I have made a whopping $4300!

It is not you...it is this damn economy and no one is paying attention. Wall street got their money, UI benefits were extended, cash for clunkers...who the hell cares how much your car saves gas if you do not have a JOB to get to it!!

I hope we all make it out of this with our sanity but I really don't think it is going to get the attention of the government until we are ALL in the soup line living in tent cities!!

Sell what you can however, I caution you taking things out of the home that are permanent fixtures, ie: sinks, countertops, etc. The banks could hold you financially responsible for these items. Best of luck to you and please know that you are not alone in this fight!

Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
What is your work experience and educational background? If you are just looking for food service jobs you may need to dumb down your resume and not even list what you use to make.

I'm a business writer Family_Guy. I write marketing and business proposals.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Synopsis:

I really empathize with your situation. I too was an independent contractor therefore not eligible for UI benefits which is RIDUCULOUS...my commissions are taxed HIGHER and I am still not eligible. Hubby and I have filed for BK and we are just surviving at this point. I have never been without and job! Right not I am underemployed....as you are...so far since March I have made a whopping $4300!

It is not you...it is this damn economy and no one is paying attention. Wall street got their money, UI benefits were extended, cash for clunkers...who the hell cares how much your car saves gas if you do not have a JOB to get to it!!

I hope we all make it out of this with our sanity but I really don't think it is going to get the attention of the government until we are ALL in the soup line living in tent cities!!

Sell what you can however, I caution you taking things out of the home that are permanent fixtures, ie: sinks, countertops, etc. The banks could hold you financially responsible for these items. Best of luck to you and please know that you are not alone in this fight!
Thanks seeniorita. I would never take things out of the home such as permanent fixtures. It belongs to the bank as they financed our home. The only things I would take (or more likely sell) are the things that we bought with our own money such as the refrigerator, furniture, and other things. I couldn't live with myself if I turned the house into a shambles before I left. I don't have a mean bone in my body and it would be against my nature to do something like that.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Would you relocated to NYC?

There actually IS a market for business writers here, even in the current economic meltdown ...

Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Would you relocated to NYC?

There actually IS a market for business writers here, even in the current economic meltdown ...
I would love to relocate to NYC if it was possible to survive there. I've applied there with no response. I'll send you the exact reasons I'd love to relocate there in a DM I_Love_LI. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:19 PM

256 posts, read 894,449 times
Quote:

Maybe try your hand as an entrepreneur. Ever thought about writing your own novel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment