Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:16 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,258,215 times

Advertisements

As long as they can maintain their lifestyle, what's wrong with it? Why do we have to work 40 hours a week anyway? If the couple is happy with what they are doing and they can live off what they are doing, I see nothing wrong with that - more power to them! Plus, they don't have kids so it's not like they have to think about anybody else but themselves. I feel that's responsbile of them b'c they aren't adding a child to the choices they make - that would be a different story, but even then if they can manage it, I don't see anything wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 11:24 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,228,411 times
I believe this to be an excellent lifestyle. As long as they're not freeloading (which they aren't), they're definitely not lazy, they're totally smart. They are truly living.

I don't know what most people consider cutting down on their standard of living but my opinion is that they've chosen the best standard of living. Living and enjoying life can be very inexpensive as long as the simple things are appreciated. Some people must have the fancy cars, big and to me "boring" houses, boats, vacations, etc.

I work 10 months out of the year, 187 days to be exact, for a school district. This is my choice, and I wouldn't have it any other way unless I didn't have to work at all. I live frugally, own my home, take inexpensive trips, and enjoy nature, my children, and my canine girls. Some people think it's amazing I can live on what I make. The funny thing is any single person can; it just depends where their value and priorities lie.

Kudos to your friends, Dingler. They're my kind of people.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:25 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,134,994 times
I agree with everyone here that said the friends are jealous.
If you judge people on the hours they spend at work and using their skills then I guess I am one of those "lazy" people.
After 30 years in the finance industry I spend my days volunteering, I do fundraising for non-profits, teach a jr master gardener class to 2nd graders, volunteer at the extension office to help home owners with their gardening problems. and advise many people on getting out of debt.
The money I earn form all this "0"
the inner satisfaction I get from making a difference in folks lifes "priceless"

karla

Old 05-06-2007, 01:33 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,112 times
This is EXACTLY what I am working towards in life. My goal is next year I will be able to do this. I will be turning 32 this month, so I'm ahead of the game! I am also working at getting my longtime BF in this lifestyle as well. I want to only work 3 days a week and have fun and travel the rest of the time. I think it's a smart way to live. I do not want to slave away for someone else. I think that's stupid.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,608,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I think their friends are simply jealous. It sounds like they've achieved what many of us aspire towards.

What do you think Dingler? What's your opinion?

Methinks it is his opinion [cloaked]

sunny

Old 05-06-2007, 02:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
That couple is awesome! Good for them, I say.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,294,089 times
That's awesome.. and I'm jealous..lol

Old 05-06-2007, 03:24 PM

81 posts, read 362,147 times
They are not lazy, they are smart.

The positive there is I bet when they are working, they are truly working their job during those hours instead of socializing or surfing the Internet like everyone I used to work with, myself included.

It takes a change of mindset to ramp down the lifestyle that TV and society pressures you to have but it can be done.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:29 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,891 times
I would love not to work. Not because I'm lazy (well, maybe just a little ), but because I am 100% positive I could find better things to do with all of the time that I spend at my job. If I didn't have to work, I wouldn't. Now, I have children. So of course I want to provide them with the best, and therefore I work to do so. but if I didn't have children, and I could get by without working full time, I would do it in a heartbeat. It is only by routine and tradition that workign 40+ hours a week has been the norm. Breaking your back to make ends meet. Why should that be the norm? Who wrote those rules? If those people are able to pay the bills, and do it without as much sweat as the next person, then who is the smarter??

Old 05-06-2007, 04:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,235,101 times
I have no problem with it. Personally, I put in 50-60 hours a week, and while I can (and do) work weekends, I live for Friday afternoon, when I can leave and not have to come back, barring an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment