Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,674,759 times

Advertisements

Hey, I say good for them. DH and I quit working in factory settings after the opportunity came open to work for ourselves. He has a business that has allowed him to do quite well for this area, and I am sub contracted out to a utility company and work from home.

Most people in our area work for industry or are farmers. They judge us all the time. But, we just paid off all of our personal debt, which allowed me to get a new car so now I have that debt, but beside that, all we owe is business debt which will be paid off fairly soon. We are in the process of getting our lives on track to be able to enjoy life once our 13 yr old is in college. But, we do work hard now in order to achieve the lifestyle we wish to live in a few years. I will still be in my 40's and dh 51 when we achieve this, and we hope to travel as well. Does this make us lazy? LOL, nope, just reaping the rewards of a plan we made years ago. Sounds like this couple achieved the American Dream very early and I say, way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 03:43 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I know a childless middle aged couple in their 40s who now only work part time and 40 weeks a year. Due to a combination of unique skills, good money management, and low spending they do not need to work full time. They devote their time to intellectual pursuits, worldwide travel, many hobbies and fun.

Their friends think they are lazy. They feel that someone with their level of skills should be working at least 40 hours a week in a job that will use their skills to the fullest. They are viewed by family and friends as underachievers. While both work in their fields, Accounting and Teaching. Their choice of jobs is not as great because they only work part time.

What would you think if a family member or friend were to move to part time (by choice) and cut down on their standard of living as a result?
Who cares what other people think? If they are happy, thats all that matters. If I could find a part time job that would pay me enough to live, I would definitely do it as well!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
Quote:
I know a childless middle aged couple in their 40s who now only work part time and 40 weeks a year. Due to a combination of unique skills, good money management, and low spending they do not need to work full time. They devote their time to intellectual pursuits, worldwide travel, many hobbies and fun.

Their friends think they are lazy. They feel that someone with their level of skills should be working at least 40 hours a week in a job that will use their skills to the fullest. They are viewed by family and friends as underachievers. While both work in their fields, Accounting and Teaching. Their choice of jobs is not as great because they only work part time.

What would you think if a family member or friend were to move to part time (by choice) and cut down on their standard of living as a result?
very very smart americans. kind of people i like to have for friends.
stephen s
san diego ca
ps fyi
you cannt reach your wallet if you are in a pine box, its very difficult
lots of stress kills
a little stress inspires

Old 10-06-2007, 09:22 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,584,610 times
Quote:
I know a childless middle aged couple in their 40s who now only work part time and 40 weeks a year. Due to a combination of unique skills, good money management, and low spending they do not need to work full time. They devote their time to intellectual pursuits, worldwide travel, many hobbies and fun. Good 4 them!!!

Their friends think they are lazy. They feel that someone with their level of skills should be working at least 40 hours a week in a job that will use their skills to the fullest. They are viewed by family and friends as underachievers. While both work in their fields, Accounting and Teaching. Their choice of jobs is not as great because they only work part time. Sounds like family & friends are JEALOUS

Key word is "their choice". As long as they're not calling asking me for money to help pay their bills, then I don't have a nickle in that quarter

Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,396,206 times
Quote:

Lazy like a fox! I would say these two people are *REALLY* smart!!! :-)

It has often puzzled me why when 'professional' people are married, either both of them work a collective 80 hours a week, or one person has to work 40 hours and the other doesn't. How much better for each of them to be working just 20 if they can manage it? And how much more interesting their lives probably are, having 20 hours a week of their life back? Yes, they're probably not buying as much stuff or living in as big a house, but what good are those things if you're at work all the time?

Last edited by dgz; 10-08-2007 at 11:25 PM..

Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,872,636 times
I think it's awesome! How sad that most people work until they're 70 and if they're lucky enough to be healthy and then be able to afford it, they then can do a bit of traveling. As someone who's parents both died before 60, I learned from that experience that as much as working is good, it's not what life should be about. I have done a mini-version of what the couple you mention has done. My husband and I sold our 3 bedroom, 2 story house and moved to a 1000 square foot condo. We got rid of a car and now have 1 paid off car. We pay an assessment of $226. In exchange for that, when the weekends roll around, we have no grass cutting, gardening and outoor puttering to do anymore. When something goes wrong with the buidling, the maintenace man fixes it. We both work full time for now, but our weekends are completely free. We hated nothing more than working 40+ hours a week and then spening all day Saturday or Sunday maintaining our landscaping and cleaning the house. It's a personal quality of life issue. Without that albatross of a house and the 2nd car, we're able to take 3-4 vacations a year, visit with friends and famlly more on weekends, visit local restaurants, museums, the beach...whatever. It's a freeing experience and one that others should consider. We didn't want to work for our house. We wanted to work to make money to enjoy our lives and do things and see things. There's a whole world out there outside of our homes and I didn't want a home to impede me seeing it. Maybe that's selfish?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:18 AM

8 posts, read 23,382 times
I think there smart not lazy......At the end of the day whats the point in working like a dog earning all the money if you cant enjoy it while your still alive and fit enough.
They could probably earn a living teaching others how they do it !

Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM

37,501 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Sounds good to me.

I did a career of traveling around the world, so I am okay now with sitting in one area. However I qualified for pension at 42 years old, and now I am on pension.

Playing with farming. Because that is something that I wanted to do.

I see no reason to go back into the workforce and work fulltime. I have had job offers. Some have been for seriously obscene levels of money too.

No thanks.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:28 PM

239 posts, read 800,377 times
Quote:

I would be envious of their good judgement and sensible living standards - provided retirement was taken care of!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 PM

41 posts, read 191,737 times
Because they want to enjoy life they are "lazy'? Wow some people need a wake up call...there is more to life than work!!

Besides, if people say they are lazy it's just because they are jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment