Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,502,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
The original subject of this thread is how to manage to have a job that
pays a decent amount and doesn't require you to work to hard. My
advice was aimed at that person and not some drive-by who takes
offense at stuff that doesn't even pertain to them.

If you want to save that kind of money, then not dropping
a sprog into this world is good advice.

So is reading for comprehension and not getting offended
by the one line in a post that you understand.

And yes, it is possible to save a million in ten years without
making a killing on the stock market. It requires great sacrifice.
Not having kids, for some, is one of those sacrifices.

I didn't say it was for everybody.
It's also possible to save a million in a month if you are a fortune 500 CEO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,041,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
\.Why in the world would you spend 40+ hours per week doing something you don't like to do?
Because I am in college and have bills to pay.
Because I am a responsible adult (and no, Im not old, Im 23) and buy my own stuff.
Because I have 2 dogs that depend on me totally for their food, vet bills, etc.
Because I have a mother that relies on me for half the groceries and incidentals around my home.
Because its what us big boys and girls do when we're all grown up and have lives of our own.
Quote:
I love my job. I am not selling my soul, I am doing something I look forward to every day.
Good for you. Some of the rest of us arent as fortunate. Thank your lucky stars.

Quote:
Why would you work a job you don't like?
See reasons above.

Quote:
First of all, you don't need 8 hours of sleep unless you are 12 years old. Lets knock that down to 7. Second, work through lunch if you really don't like spending the time. That knocks the work day down to 8 hrs. And why the h*ll do you live an hour away from work?

Move closer, or at least make your commute productive. Ride a bike to work, encorporate exercise into your commute.
Sweetie, you must be behind on your Biology lessons, because if you werent you would understand that not everyone needs the same amount of sleep.
Secondly, some people need to eat during the day. There's no room for arguement about it with some people. Working 8 hours+ straight with no food in your stomach isnt healthy.

Third, some people live an hour away from where they work because real estate where their work is located is too expensive. For example, Ive heard of many people who work in NYC, but live in New Jersey because the city is too expensive.

Fourth, in some areas, it is dangerous to ride a bike to work. Not everywhere has sidewalks...my region of the country is notorious for not being pedestrian-friendly.

Grow up and stop being so judgemental.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,462,795 times
Not everyone foregoes kids in favor of career.
I, for one, never wanted either.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,131,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
On the whole kids argument, sounds like some of you have seen Idiocracy the movie. It's about the smart responsible people putting off having kids to focus on their careers therefore the lower class members of our society are the ones having 5, 10, 15 kids and society gradually becomes stupider because of it. Corny movie but it makes you think...
Are you implying that all poor people are stupid?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,131,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Actually the average base salary for a Fortune 500 CEO is under $3 million. Many make a base salary of $1M or less. The remainder of their income is bonus and stock options, paid based on performance. So no, it's not really possible to save a million a month for the average Fortune 500 CEO.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:17 AM

303 posts, read 564,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominus View Post
I'm looking for jobs that require only a bachelors college degree but have relatively short work hours, something like 35 - 40 per week, and will still pay decently after several years of experience (around 60k).
40 hours is a short work week? Wow, how things have changed!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:47 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,263,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
For me, flexibility is just as important. Companies with positions that allow employees to telecommute are so enviable. A really understanding boss is even better.

I do have a friend who designs/develops adult websites. His hours are very flexible. He works odd hours, but at least he is working from home.
Does he need any help....I'll clean the lens on the old camera...(:>)

Old 12-23-2009, 10:46 AM

122 posts, read 382,289 times
Anything under 40 hours isn't even considered full time work apparently, which is pretty absurd.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:27 AM

45,562 posts, read 60,834,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominus View Post
Anything under 40 hours isn't even considered full time work apparently, which is pretty absurd.

How old are you?

Forty hours is pretty much the standard for full-time without overtime pay. Some employee benefits for "full-time" kick in at twenty-five or thirty hours.

I don't know where you've been looking for work but they must have salary money to burn if they want their people to work more than forty hours/week.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,100,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup
lower class members of our society are the ones having 5, 10, 15 kids
Are you implying that all poor people are stupid?
Are you implying that poor people are low class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup
Actually the average base salary for a Fortune 500 CEO is ...
not really possible to save a million a month for the average Fortune 500 CEO.
The original quote said that it is possible.

It did not say it is possible for the average CEO.

The original quote is still irrelevant.

If you are willing to make the sacrifices for ten years, including never eating out,
never taking vacations, working two jobs, living where it is possible to not own a
car, etc. etc. etc. (*) it is possible to save a million dollars in ten years.

(*) including not having kids. ( or pets or a girlfriend/boyfriend, for that matter )

Nowhere, did I ever write that it was going to be easy.
Nowhere, did I ever write that it was even a good idea.

People who retire without enough money generally made lifestyle choices that
led up to that situation. Those choices include not learning anything about
investing and finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment