Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:47 PM

173 posts, read 354,284 times

Advertisements

Here is some curious questions I want you all to answer:

What time do you have to work? (What happens if you're late)

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually work past that time)

Are you paid for days you call in? (Do you make those up?)

Do you wish to switch or change your shift/hours? (Do you think your manager will let you?)

What days do you work? (What days do you have off?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 PM

173 posts, read 354,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post

What time do you have to work? (What happens if you're late) I work at 5:00PM on the dot. I am always there before 4:45PM and if I arrive late, I will probably be docked pay.

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually work past that time) I am always supposed to be off at 8:00PM. But there have been some times where my supervisor has to release us 15 minutes later because of additional work that needs to be done at a different location. We are always paid for those 15 minutes along with the 3 hours in which we originally worked.

Are you paid for days you call in? (Do you make those up?) No, we are not paid for when we are not there. If I was to be absent, I would probably make it up the next day so I can actually have those 3 hours done. But it depends on what my supervisor says.

Do you wish to switch or change your shift/hours? (Do you think your manager will let you?) Well, I do want to work 3 days next week. I asked my supervisor but they have too many new employees coming in that I can't. We will talk about it Tuesday when I work again.

What days do you work? (What days do you have off?) I currently work Tuesdays and Thursdays and have off the other days.
Blah

Old 02-04-2012, 05:03 PM

810 posts, read 1,764,034 times
What time do you have to work? (What happens if you're late) I work Wed - Fri 4pm - 8pm, Sat 9-6, Sun 10-6. I can be late by a few minutes and they won't mind, however I also have to run to the upstairs office and grab my work daily before my shift so it evens out in the end.

I leav at 8pm during the week and 6pm on weekends, and the only time I will work past 8 is if I am in the middle of something that can't wait.

Are you paid for days you call in? (Do you make those up?)No I don't have any benefits, sick time, paid holidays, or even paid vacation.

Do you wish to switch or change your shift/hours? (Do you think your manager will let you?) Yes I want nothing more than to have a "real" job with "real" hours. I've asked but so far nothing.

I'm off Mon, & Tues.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:08 PM

12,788 posts, read 15,017,507 times
Why did you say blah above? Anyway...here's my answers.

Quote:

Around 7:30am - 8:00am to 2:30pm - 3:00pm. I work a 6.5 hr day. If I'm late, I'll just make up for it a the end of the day, but I hate being late & I honestly never am. (If I had a habit of being late, I'm sure they'd eventually write me up.)

I'm kind of my own boss in that no one's closely keeping tabs on when I come & go, but as long as I'm doing what I'm supposed to. I could leave my job site as long as I get what I need to get done, but when I leave, it better be to go do something that pertains to my job, but I can't make a habit of leaving earlier.

I get so many paid sick days a year, but after that, I don't get paid for it anymore.

Do you wish to switch or change your shift/hours? (Do you think your manager will let you?)

I think I work the PERFECT hours & wouldn't change it for the world. I only work Tues - Fri, so I ALWAYS get a 3-day weekend! PLUS, I get summers off (late May through beginning Aug). I'm not waking up at 5am, yet I'm off at a good time of the day. There's the occasional times when I may have meetings though & could stay until POSSIBLY 3:30/3:45pm at the latest, which still isn't that late.

Typed in previous question.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 02-04-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 PM

78 posts, read 377,100 times
Quote:

1)9am..No idea, i always show up at work on the dot or 10 min earlier
2)5pm, never work past that..my work cease around 4pm
3)I have no paid time off
4)There is a 10-6 shift that i could change if i want to, but i like working 9-5 since that seems to be the company standard operating hours

Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM

18,479 posts, read 31,670,709 times
I have been at my job for many many years. I get to my desk at 8, I leave at 4:30 M-F, also hour lunch everyday, and sometimes I take an extra 15 minutes. Plus, I have internet, so yay for me !!

I can leave early or come in late for doctor appointments, my company is pretty lienient with this stuff, it isn't so by the book like a prison ward.

We get 3 paid sick days, which sucks, but whatever.
I get 3 weeks vacation.

so I am very fortunate in that respect. However we dont get off 4 holidays during the year which most companies do, and we have only been getting raises every 2 years and divided in 2 they suck.....

but every company has it goods and bads, and here the good out weighs the bad by a landslide.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,636 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Official hours are 8-4:30, M-f but we are very flexible. As a manager I don't have to account for my time, but I have staff working 7-3:30, 8-4, 9-5:30, and some on flex with longer hours and every other Friday off. They must use PTO for medical or any other appointments or if late, though I will let them stay late to make it up as long as it doesn't become a habit. We support the use of public transit so occasional tardiness due to a bus being full is not a big deal. We get 12 paid holidays off, an hour for lunch with the option of 1/2 hour lunch and leave that much earlier.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,213,021 times
Quote:

1) My work day begins at 8:30. We have flex-time at my job, so folks roll in at all hours (as long as it's by 9:30). My boss usually doesn't arrive until 9 or so, so although I'm often "late" by about 10 minutes, I'm really on time.

2) I get off at 5PM. Don't "work" past that time, but I'm sometimes there past 5...usually to do something that can really wait until I get home!

3) I get 25 vacation days, all federal holidays, 12 sick days and 2 personal days. Learned recently that although the leave is generous, the higher-ups don't really like you using all of your sick leave. But, because of the generous leave, I don't have to worry about not being paid for days that I'm out.

4) Yes, I wish I could change my hours. Would love to work a 30 hour work-week and get off at 3PM. Probably will never happen because my boss is a d-bag when it comes to that sort of thing.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,508 times

I have a split schedule. 6am to 10am, then 2pm to 6pm. I just started this job in September so I have yet to be late, but I assume I would not get paid the time I did not work (I am hourly).

There is always paper work to do, but most times I will get done by the end of my shift.

No, I have yet to call in though.

After working many years without a set schedule, I was glad to get a shift with set hours, although some days 5 am seems to arrive quick on Monday especially after the weekend!

My supervisor would never allow me to come in any later because I have to be at my work by 6.

M-F (Sat & Sun off), of course I don't have Sat & Sun off just to sit around. There is always something to do.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,048 times
Typically about 8:30, but its flexible. I can come in at 9 if i want and take a shorter lunch or leave later. No one keeps track of when I come and go. I do let my coworkers know out of courtesy since we're a small office.

Typically 5. I don't usually leave later but my workload isn't that heavy yet.

If I have the PTO available then yes. I haven't called in yet, though. I have taken planned PTO here and there.

Ideally I'd work like 11am to 7:30pm to avoid traffic/crowds and to be able to sleep in a little later or run errands in the morning. We have to keep normal business hours though so thats not going to happen.

M-F. Sometimes we'll have a travel day on a weekend but its rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment