Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 PM

12 posts, read 26,322 times

Advertisements

Collegeguy, you sure know your stuff! I did home health for awhile and it is much less stress for the most part. The worse part of it was going into homes that were filthy and you didn't want to sit on their chairs. I've been in some real discusting places. It's also creepy when you are on call in the evening and have to drive one hundred miles to your patient's house and when you are almost there, the road is now a dirt road in the boonies. You know this patient has PTSD, so now you are really getting creeped out. You are nervous the entire time you are there. Of course, some home visits are great and your patient is super nice. But it's when you go to the weirdo's houses that makes you re-think your job. I just quit my home health job after almost 3 years. The driving was crazy -- putting so many miles on my car and barely being compensated for gas. So it just wasn't worth it.

Hospital nursing sucks as well. First of all -- I can assure you that the majority of nurses DON'T want to be there. If they did, they certainly wouldn't have the attitudes they have. Rudeness abounds and yes, the older, bitchy nurses eat their young. Working with a bunch of bipolar woman on antidepressants is miserable. This is one of many situations I've dealt with: on weekends, when everyone is off, and the nurses station was somewhat quiet, I would bring my iPOD player and put music on very low. The nurses would all like the music and no one complained. Well, one of the CNA's, who I'm sure didn't like my type of music, tattle-taled to our supervisor that I had music on. Now I'm talking VERY low music. Of course, my boss called me into her office and like a little kid, I was told that was a NO NO. I'm sorry, but I'm in my 40's -- I just can't take this type of immature behavior and also -- being reprimanded like a child. I could go on and on with examples. I've never met so many dysfunctional woman in one place as I have in the nursing profession. It's a magnet for dysfunction and the job is dysfunctional. I have to laugh because I specifically remember a nurse telling me at one of my clinicals as a student that "this is the most dyfunctional job I've ever had". Now I know exactly what he meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 AM

640 posts, read 1,733,891 times
Even though I'm in school to be a respiratory therapist (and eventually a PA), threads like these worry me. I really don't want to put up with catty women. I hope female RTs dont eat their young.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:57 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Even though I'm in school to be a respiratory therapist (and eventually a PA), threads like these worry me. I really don't want to put up with catty women. I hope female RTs dont eat their young.
I don't know about catty RT's but they are some of the hottest women in a hospital. I swear you must have to be cute to be an RT if you're a woman.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 AM

48 posts, read 112,997 times
Let's not forget the fact that WHERE you work affects what you will make. I'm an RN. In Toledo, OH I made about $22.50 an hour. Here in the Mid Hudson Valley by Poughkeepsie NY I make about $33.50 an hour. But my bills and taxes are way, way more than they were in Ohio. Sure you'll read about floor nurses grossing a 100K in NYC hospitals. But I'll guarantee s/he has that spent that on rent and bills, as the cost of living here is ridiculous.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am wary of people saying being an RN is a vocation/calling/"special." It's a profession, a job. If you're professional and have personal pride, you do the job well, and part of the job is being courteous and kind to the patients. I see it as not much more human contact than, say, customer service in another field. And I work in psychatric, where the patients are *supposed* to give you a hard time.
Woe to the worker who thinks he or she will "care" and cure the patient. I've seen these types- often lack hard skills and common sense. And they only "care" about some patients- like a personal preference- and they still need to get the smelly psychotic guy into the shower. It's not glamorous (or emotionally intertwined) but it's the way you care for that one guy, or part of the way you do.
I think it is -- for example oncology nurses can be both professional and the people-people the patients need at that time.

Because -- with people, you don't just have a physical body but also a unique individual inside. A very good nurse doesn't just deal with a body, he or she deals with the mind and soul, the emotions, fears, the non-physical needs as well. To really help griving families cope, you need more than those who view it as nothing but a job.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:21 PM

750 posts, read 1,447,040 times
Thanks xxgingerxx for backing me up. I am so sick of these pop media articles on how nursing is going to save us all. Most of these young nurses want no part of bedside nursing. Thus they go get their BSNS MSNS as fast as they can. So they can become educators case managers supervisors.ect Most of the time they make less money. They want away from the floor at any cost. As for the RN who lived in toledo and also worked in New York those wages sound right know both areas. The thing is wages vary all over the US. In parts of the South RNS might be making 18 to 20 bucks an hour. They may have even been a nurse for some years. But the wage for the everyday Joe in the area may only be 10 buck an hour. Thus their making good money for the area. RNs can make 30 bucks an hour in New York no problem. But the cost of living and taxes are so high. That RN in the South making 18/hr might be better off. We need LPNS and RNS doing bedside nursing. But no one wants to do that and for good reason.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,840,063 times
My wife has been a RN for going on 13 years, she has worked in ICU,Telemetry,Nuero,Emergency Room in Hospitals. We travel nursed around the US for awhile and she made very good money. If I remember the best was $67.00 an hr. Now she is Assistant Director of Nursing in a Senior Care facility. The stories of how your treated by doctors, patients, etc are true, for some reason your looked on only slightly higher than dirt by most of them. Your first few years will be tough until you get some experience. If you keep your eyes open and apply yourself there are many opportunities now out there out of the direct RN field. I don't know what will be left for opportunities when the present president and his cronies get done though. It seems this guy is affecting everyone's future, and most will be negative. His new rules and those proposed are already affecting many health care fields.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,527,938 times
Well I sure hope that all this suckers that are RNs and LPNs and hate their jobs so much quit and make room for people that care. Nothing worse then negative people on the work place. Please, leave and find another career.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well I sure hope that all this suckers that are RNs and LPNs and hate their jobs so much quit and make room for people that care. Nothing worse then negative people on the work place. Please, leave and find another career.
Haha easy for you to say when you're on the outside looking in.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,245,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doegirl View Post
Let's not forget the fact that WHERE you work affects what you will make. I'm an RN. In Toledo, OH I made about $22.50 an hour. Here in the Mid Hudson Valley by Poughkeepsie NY I make about $33.50 an hour. But my bills and taxes are way, way more than they were in Ohio. Sure you'll read about floor nurses grossing a 100K in NYC hospitals. But I'll guarantee s/he has that spent that on rent and bills, as the cost of living here is ridiculous.
Exactly, here around St. Louis RN's are lucky to be making $10/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment