Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
I definitely don't have anything against tattoos or anyone with them and I hope I didn't come off that way in my earlier post. Just trying to lend some advice to help out...

In certain professions, entertainment, NBA/NFL, etc..it's perfectly acceptable to have tattoos all over your arm, neck or wherever you see fit. However, in white-collar jobs where have to land big contracts with clients it's generally not. Some corporations have flat out policies against it, and others do not but will certainly frown on them and probably refrain from hiring you with them.

The mistake younger people make is that they'll assume that they will never enter an industry like this, so it really doesn't matter, and start to get "totally inked up" at a young age 18-25. Some of these people will then go to college, graduate from college and try to get a white-collar job only to realize that they are S.O.L and cannot be hired (I'm not saying this is fair/unfair, it's just the way things are).

Yes, there are tattoo removal services but they are very expensive and many will leave scarring and burn marks. Before you get a visible tattoo, just make sure you really think through the impact it will have. Not just a month forward, but 15 years forward.
I COMPLETELY agree with that. There are a lot of people who get tattoos when they're young who will regret them as they get older. There are also a lot of people who really like their tattoos and won't let it hinder them getting a well respected corporate position.

My old artist had a 30 day waiting period for anyone getting a tattoo below the elbow or above the collarbone. He also required a certain amount of coverage before he would tattoo in an overly conspicuous spot. Like, he wouldn't give someone their first tattoo on the back of the neck, or behind the ears. You would have to have 100+ hours of work done before he would do it.

I think a lot of it also depends on where you're looking for work. I live in coastal California and most businesses are pretty laid back. I'm sure that if I were to try and apply for a job in the midwest, my tattoos would hold me back a lot more.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,169,073 times
Makes a lot of sense JetJockey, sounds like a nicer laid-back work culture out there.

I've had thoughts about getting a small tattoo on the tricep area for awhile now, but I can bet that some of the older people here in the firm and more conservative clients would freak out if they ever saw it So well I don't totally understand their views, I respect them and try warn some of my younger friends so they at least know what they're getting into and can make an educated choice.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
All of that education and he chose tattooing as his way to make money. What a shame!
Now I'm starting to feel sory for you. I can't imagine be so judgemental and actually enjoying life.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 PM

8,957 posts, read 20,382,577 times
Well, perhaps if we had more of the "old school" mentality going on today, there would be a lot less complaining in both the Relationship and the Employment forums!! When I was in my 20's and 30's, I didn't want to listen (let alone talk to half of the time) people who were in their 50's and up......no way! Now that I'm 61, I can hardly get a conversation going with someone in their 20's or 30's and sometimes even with someone in their 40's. Even though I love using a computer, have a BluRay Player and a couple of other modern electronic things, I'm still considered "old" with too old of thoughts. I just happen to have been around years ago with things in the workplace were much different than today and that "different" wasn't all that bad; like a lot of folks complain about today.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, perhaps if we had more of the "old school" mentality going on today, there would be a lot less complaining in both the Relationship and the Employment forums!! When I was in my 20's and 30's, I didn't want to listen (let alone talk to half of the time) people who were in their 50's and up......no way! Now that I'm 61, I can hardly get a conversation going with someone in their 20's or 30's and sometimes even with someone in their 40's. Even though I love using a computer, have a BluRay Player and a couple of other modern electronic things, I'm still considered "old" with too old of thoughts. I just happen to have been around years ago with things in the workplace were much different than today and that "different" wasn't all that bad; like a lot of folks complain about today.

Seriously you seem to be the one most bothered and doing the most complaining. I'm at work training on a break right now....how is your job...lol!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
I took my 66 year old grandmother to get her first tattoo a few years back I'm only 26, but I can easily start and hold a conversation with her and so can my friends. In fact, she text messages my little brothers girlfriend all the time

My grandmother wasn't 'supposed' to work when she was growing up, so she never held a job until she was in her late 40s. She loves my tattoos

Old 05-19-2010, 03:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
So, I'm "old school".......your point? There are a lot of 60 plus people out there that don't like the way a lot of things are today, in the employment area and other areas. So why make us look like the bad guys? Years ago, people were much more courteous than they are today. I love using a computer, but years ago it wasn't a major distraction at jobs like it is today. People today get fired over what they look at on a computer during working hours. I know this isn't the Religion Forum, but when I go to church, I don't see tattoos on the neck, upper back or arms of people who are wearing short sleeve shirts or a Summer dress that a gal might wear. It is a person's choice "to or not to" get a tattoo or numerous tattoos, but there can be employment consequences involved in doing it.
Have never heard of Eva Galler, but if I hired a lady and she had a tattoo that was covered up at the interview, if she kept it covered at the job.....absolutely no problem. But, many of the younger generation don't like doing that (covering it up) and do so much complaining about a company not willing to change a policy about hiding/covering up a tattoo or tattoos. They want to show off their body art (and piercings) no matter what a company policy says.......WRONG!!
Until you're the person paying them, I don't see where it's your decision.

And as I said, your "old school" attitudes and unwillingness to accept anything that isn't exactly in your narrow perception of how it should be are most likely the major reasons you can't find a job. What will you do when that 99 weeks runs out? The clock is tick, tick, ticking...

By the way, Eva was a Holocast survivor with a number tattooed on her forearm.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Now, something that must be stated here........your grandma is only 1 person out of HOW MANY people that age in the U.S.? We (wife/I) have this cool electronic stuff of this generation, but that sure doesn't mean much, I found out. You have a very cool grandmother.....that neat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I took my 66 year old grandmother to get her first tattoo a few years back I'm only 26, but I can easily start and hold a conversation with her and so can my friends. In fact, she text messages my little brothers girlfriend all the time

My grandmother wasn't 'supposed' to work when she was growing up, so she never held a job until she was in her late 40s. She loves my tattoos

Old 05-19-2010, 03:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Maybe instead of trying to mold everyone to your way of thinking you need to take the approach that it's not all about you and be more open minded. I'm only about a dozen years younger than you and have no problem talking to people in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 70's and find a lot of common ground with all of them. I don't judge people by how they dress (as long as they are neat and clean and don't look like cheap streetwalkers) or (for the most part) any piercings or tattoos they have. (I do draw the line at severe body modifications such as subdermal implants and tongue bifurcation which go beyond "expressing oneself" in my opinion.

I do feel that in a professional setting, tattoos should be under clothing the same way I don't believe that political badges belong in the workplace.) Maybe if you'd stop judging people based on your narrowminded and rigid mindset, you might realize that there are some really great people out there with a lot of ink.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Let me say this......I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT worried about it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Until you're the person paying them, I don't see where it's your decision.

And as I said, your "old school" attitudes and unwillingness to accept anything that isn't exactly in your narrow perception of how it should be are most likely the major reasons you can't find a job. What will you do when that 99 weeks runs out? The clock is tick, tick, ticking...
By the way, Eva was a Holocast survivor with a number tattooed on her forearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment