Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM

924 posts, read 2,232,276 times

Advertisements

Libel: Libel refers to a false written and seen communication made about a person with the intention to defame that person. It is a written representation conveying an unjust and unfavorable impression prepared with the intention to damage a person’s reputation.
///////

I work in customer service and one of our customers recently tried to blackmail us by posting about his experience online on a popular industry forum. He had threatened to cause us a lot of bad press on multiple blogs and forum, vowing to "take us down". Yeah tough guy huh? The problem is he made several misleading statements about our security policies and procedures, getting other forum members riled up. He lied, making our company look bad.

Our senior management is now involved but they have a concern that they want to keep some of our security policies confidential and not post a message on the forum. However I provided a summary of the case for the senior manager to use in case the customer escalated this to the forum moderators in as an official complaint. The mods there have this process to act as an arbitrator.

Now the thing is, I'm having a hard time watching the thread and seeing the lies. I am so tempted to post something myself, but am not allowed. I wish my manager would ask the moderator to post something and expose the customer for his lies. The customer is trying to pressure us into paying him for money he lost for his own mistakes and is giving us bad press we don't deserve.

What would you do at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
Stay out of it. It is NOT your place to get involved, and if you AT ALL value your job, you will not even visit that board.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Stay out of it. It is NOT your place to get involved, and if you AT ALL value your job, you will not even visit that board.
Umm, I'm already involved. I was the CSR who dealt with the customer and the senior manager asked me to keep his team updated, plus compose a possible reaction. I did, it just hasn't been posted yet.
Plus I don't see why you would even advise me not to visit that board. It's my job to keep management updated on public issues like this.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,975,190 times
You always seem to be having drama with your corporation!! If that was the customer's experience. Then maybe your company made a crap mistake? It's only libel if it is mostly not true. If the complaining customer had a different (bad) experience than all the other customers. That doesn't look good either. Nothing looks good when somebody makes a public complaint. Are you in a public corporation? If so then live and learn.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
If that was the customer's experience. It's only libel if it is not true.
That's right. His claims are untrue, hence the libel. I handled the case, all standard procedures were followed by us and now he's trying to bully his way into a settlement, with false information about what happened.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:25 PM

It doesn't matter if you followed so-called standard procedures. The customer was somehow harmed in the process. If he has proof or a belief that he was somehow mislead, treated unfairly, purchased defective services, etc. then there isn't anything you can do.

Malicious compliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_the_system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
That's right. His claims are untrue, hence the libel. I handled the case, all standard procedures were followed by us and now he's trying to bully his way into a settlement, with false information about what happened.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:31 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You always seem to be having drama with your corporation!!
I need to know where you work so I can NOT-EVER-WORK-THERE-IN-MY-WHOLE-LIFE!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Are you talking about me or the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I need to know where you work so I can NOT-EVER-WORK-THERE-IN-MY-WHOLE-LIFE!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Do not wait another second, get on the computer and put that person in their place. Call them out on their false statements. Expose them for being a hatefull twerp. Show some backbone if the company does not have the guts to do it. No matter what happens, your free speech rights are portected and nothing will happen to you. You will not get into any trouble and probably will end up being the hero of the company. You may even get a big bonus after the dust clear! Go For it, stand up and fight those negatove thread posters. They are blackmailing you and the company, are you going to be a man or a whimp?

VIVA' Value Added Worker !

(DISCLAIMER: I may or may not been compensated through a collection taken up by your fellow workers to say what I said in hopes you do a stupid thing like act on your own so you get fired and they are free from your complianing and whining. They are so frustrated with you they are trying this method as a last resort, since you have not taken any of the other hints, instead of them cutting your brake lines.)

Old 06-01-2010, 04:39 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
libel, a very weak law suit. greatly inferior to personal injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment