Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM

77 posts, read 346,987 times

Advertisements

Where it generally stays in the 40's-60's ( degrees fahrenheit) year round and ALMOST NEVER reaches/exceeds 80 degrees (because I'm horribly sensitive to heat, but can put up with the cold really well), plus it has to have a fairly dry climate. (I have a severe mold/mildew allergy).

Preferably in an English or Spanish speaking country. (I know Spanish pretty well, but am not completely fluent in it, though I'm sure I could learn to be quite easily).

Where it's at least a relatively safe area?

Thanks!

Edit: I currently live in the United States, so anywhere like this^ in the U.S. would be my first choice over a foreign destination.

Last edited by JSies11; 02-18-2011 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Edit: I currently live in the United States so anywhere likes this there would be my first choice over a fo

Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSies11 View Post
Where it generally stays in the 40's-60's ( degrees fahrenheit) year round and ALMOST NEVER reaches/exceeds 80 degrees (because I'm horribly sensitive to heat, but can put up with the cold really well), plus it has to have a fairly dry climate. (I have a severe mold/mildew allergy).

Preferably in an English or Spanish speaking country. (I know Spanish pretty well, but am not completely fluent in it, though I'm sure I could learn to be quite easily).

Where it's at least a relatively safe area?

Thanks!

Edit: I currently live in the United States, so anywhere like this^ in the U.S. would be my first choice over a foreign destination.
Quito Ecuador - it's on the equator, but in the mountains. So it always has a Spring-like climate. It's the Spanish speaking one.

There are a few other places with permanament SPring-like climate....Kunming China and Addis Ababa Ethiopia being two others.

But I think Quito with the Spanish would be your place.

Within the U.S., you just described San Francisco California. Not perpetually spring-like, but seldom gets above 80, and seems to hover in that 60 range most of the year.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Second California coastal regions. San Fran might be too damp.
Oregon high desert - Bend.
Parts of Alaska- Fairbanks might suit as precipitation is fairly low there.

Last edited by AnthonyB; 02-18-2011 at 10:38 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 01:11 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Oregon high desert - Bend.
Parts of Alaska- Fairbanks might suit as precipitation is fairly low there.
Won't Bend be too cold for the OP during the winter months?

Fairbanks is certain to be too cold during those months -- the OP was looking for a place where it generally stays between 40℉ and 60℉ year round, not a place with temperatures between -40℉ and -60℉ as Fairbanks can see during winter.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 AM

230 posts, read 904,709 times
I rember going to Bend in summer and it was really hot. San Francisco I think would be the best best I can think of. Santa Barbara has great weather but above 60 though but never really hot. If the OP has never been to the west coast he may not know that 70 or 80 on the west coast, where it is dryer, is different than most of the country.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
There are quite a few places in the highlands of the Americas. Anywhere around Mexico City, in cental Mexico's plateau. If you get up any higher than that, altitude sickness might be even worse for you than climatic effects.

Most places with a cool climate like that are kept cool by proximity to the ocean, so would not be dry. Dry climates are subject to extreme temperature variations, and will always get hot in the daytime.

You might consider Newfoundland, where daytime highs are rarely very far into the 70s, summer is very short, and winters surprisingly mild, although very snowy. The native are delightful, and very hospitable to outsiders.

On the other side of Canada, Vancouver Island (Victoria) has very short winters, and cool summers, but it rains a lot.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You might consider Newfoundland, where daytime highs are rarely very far into the 70s, summer is very short, and winters surprisingly mild, although very snowy. The native are delightful, and very hospitable to outsiders.
Definitely not Newfoundland. I don't know if you've ever lived there, but the period between November and May is usually cold, whatever the climate statistics suggest. And most parts of Newfoundland get ridiculous amounts of snow.

St. John's, its principal city, is the "weather loser" amongst North America's regional cities: it's the wettest, the windiest, the foggiest, the snowiest and the cloudiest place around. While there are a few things to recommend Newfoundland, weather isn't one of 'em.

CBC News - Nfld. & Labrador - N.L. fog to be featured on Japanese TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On the other side of Canada, Vancouver Island (Victoria) has very short winters, and cool summers, but it rains a lot.
Victoria has a microclimate that leaves it drier than Vancouver. I should imagine that it'll still see a fair amount of gloom, but it's worth considering. A lovely corner of the world.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:16 PM

77 posts, read 346,987 times
I have been to the west coast. In fact, I live in Orange County, but am wishing to get out mainly because of the heat.

Thanks to all who answered!

My top pick right now would probably be San Francisco area, (specifically the San Mateo area, I have been up there quite a few times) with Victoria in second. The reason I have it below San Francisco is because I fear it could have lots of mold/mildew like Seattle.

Anyways, keep suggesting more places, people!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
Seattle actually doesn't have a lot of mold/mildew problems, unless of course you keep your home open all the time in the winter. Moss is the bigger concern. Anything not treated will have moss grow on it after a number of years (many homes in the area have moss growing on the roof).

Seattle fits your criteria very well. 75 and sunny all summer long. There's typically one week where it gets above 90 but then it dies down and gets back to normal. Winters are drizzle and clouds about 5-6/7 days out of the week. The city is like a flash in the pan when it gets summer time, festivals, parties, and stuff going on every weekend.

San Fran will also fit the bill, but remember the saying, "The coldest winter I spent ever was summer in San Fransisco." San Fran can get CHILLY in summer in the mornings.

Portland also fits the bill, but it does get warmer in the summer.

Vancouver also fits the bill, but gets more snow.

There's lots of small towns on the Olympic peninsula which you may want to take a look at. Many are in the "rain shadow" and since they're right on the foothills, and clouds are still broken up by the time they get over them, they don't get as much rain. I'd totally live in Port Townsend if it weren't for my job.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Won't Bend be too cold for the OP during the winter months?

Fairbanks is certain to be too cold during those months -- the OP was looking for a place where it generally stays between 40℉ and 60℉ year round, not a place with temperatures between -40℉ and -60℉ as Fairbanks can see during winter.
The OP specifically said:

"horribly sensitive to heat, but can put up with the cold really well), plus it has to have a fairly dry climate."

40-60 is pretty limited to a greenhouse in the shade but if he/she tolerates cold that opens up more horizons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World