Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer overall?
Beijing 23 46.00%
Moscow 27 54.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,993,231 times

Advertisements

I have always been intrigued about comparing those two cities as I rarely see them being compared and contrasted....

So which of the two do you guys like better? Please let me know by letting me know how they stack up against each other. You can compare them with regards to the people, culture, food, architecture, history, pace, transportation, cost of living, quality of life, nightlife, climate, geography, scenery, economy/jobs, and the whole gamut?

Anyone who has spent any bit of time in both cities are welcome to comment. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM

337 posts, read 930,380 times
I live in Moscow and, generally speaking, like it. I've never been to Beijing, so I can't compare them directly. However, I can tell you a story about some people I knew.

They were Americans living in Moscow, outside the USA for the first time. They had jobs at the embassy here. After an initial period with the usual adjustment difficulties, they started to enjoy Moscow. After a few years, they got transferred to the US embassy in Beijing.

They hated it so much that they quit their jobs and moved back to US, even though they had no other job lined up. They couldn't take the pollution, the overcrowding, and the general craziness of the place. Also Chinese language and culture were impenetrable for them. They'd had difficulties with Russia, but eventually learned to deal with and even enjoy it. But they couldn't stand to be in China longer than a couple of months.

Don't know if this means anything, but it's one perspective.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
I haven't been to either. However, I am more interested in Moscow. It appears to be a much richer city with a lot of good architecture and I tend to prefer those qualities. Beijing seems to have a lot of good history too though.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:09 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Moscow.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
I live in Moscow and, generally speaking, like it. I've never been to Beijing, so I can't compare them directly. However, I can tell you a story about some people I knew.

They were Americans living in Moscow, outside the USA for the first time. They had jobs at the embassy here. After an initial period with the usual adjustment difficulties, they started to enjoy Moscow. After a few years, they got transferred to the US embassy in Beijing.

They hated it so much that they quit their jobs and moved back to US, even though they had no other job lined up. They couldn't take the pollution, the overcrowding, and the general craziness of the place. Also Chinese language and culture were impenetrable for them. They'd had difficulties with Russia, but eventually learned to deal with and even enjoy it. But they couldn't stand to be in China longer than a couple of months.

Josef, have you been anywhere near the Bolshoy on the 28th of the last month? From what I can see here, it looked very spectacular even outside.
I'll re-post it from the entertainment section ( I hope moderators don't mind.)

Video: Highlights of grand Gala-opening in Bolshoi - YouTube

(And what are the latest gossips in Moscow ( political and what's not?))

Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
I've been to Beijing and it is a fascinating city. It's a pity the Chinese seem to have little concern for heritage (except heritage which can bring in the tourist dollar), so in recent years they've torn down a lot of historic buildings in the city. Whole swathes of the 'hutongs' (traditional neighbourhoods, hundreds of years old) have crumbled beneath the bulldozer and demolition ball. It's a pity the Chinese government thinks progress is tearing down all the old and building the new, their mentality is really like the US in the 1960s. Anyway, rant over. Beijing still has a s**t load of history to really get your teeth stuck into.

I've not been to Moscow yet but it is a city I would love to visit as well. Russian architecture is very distinctive. If I had to choose though, I think I'd pick Beijing.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 PM

136 posts, read 581,663 times
Beijing is more unique since it's not a western city, and is Asian with totally different culture and new world. Moscow is European with slightly different than other European cities.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post

Many westerners find it hard to live in China because China is a country that doesn't cater to outsiders. You need to learn Chinese and learn their culture to work/live there. This is indicative of China's attitude towards the world at large, so now that China is rapidly becoming the dominant superpower, Westerners will have to learn how to deal with a cultural framework that is very different from their own.

With that said, I think both cities have a lot of history and culture. Beijing is older than Moscow and probably has more futuristic architecture as well. They are very different cities and hard to compare.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Many westerners find it hard to live in China because China is a country that doesn't cater to outsiders. You need to learn Chinese and learn their culture to work/live there. This is indicative of China's attitude towards the world at large, so now that China is rapidly becoming the dominant superpower, Westerners will have to learn how to deal with a cultural framework that is very different from their own.

With that said, I think both cities have a lot of history and culture. Beijing is older than Moscow and probably has more futuristic architecture as well. They are very different cities and hard to compare.
Yes you do feel a bit of 'cultural shock' visiting China. Despite the fact visitor numbers have climbed rapidly (China is now the fourth most visited country in the world) most of China doesn't feel as tourist friendly as say Southeast Asia. Tourism from other countries is relatively new in China but I think as more foreigners come in for work or holiday you will see China become a lot more tourist friendly.

The rural areas/most cities are a whole different story. You simply cannot get around without knowing at least some Chinese. Nothing at all is in English.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
I've been to Beijing but I haven't been to Moscow yet. I'd like to though. I like Russian women , but I like Chinese ones as well. I liked the food in Beijing, as well as the culture and ancient historical sites, as well as the nearby Great Wall. I'm not sure what Moscow has to offer, other than the cathedral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World